aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

Bit slow with my review of Thirteen Songs About the Devil, by KarmaTsunami:

http://open.spotify.com/user/kaospilotbitches/playlist/1UqtU74Y8xb4TiZMraxvnp

TV on the Radio “Let the Devil in”: A band I’d heard of but that I’d rarely listened to. This grew on me a bit and I like the multiple vocalists.

Sparrow and the Workshop “Devil Song”: This band are quite good and I enjoyed this song, particularly the pounding drums. I find it a bit hard to really get into them though. Maybe their style isn’t quite defined enough.

Ray LaMontagne “Devil’s in the Jukebox”: Not someone I’m all that keen on I’m afraid. A bit ‘over-wrought’ for me.

Iron & Wine “The Devil Never Sleeps”: Another band I quite like without ever really getting into them. I like the vocals on this.

Laura Veirs “Devil’s Hootenanny”: Veirs is one of very few artists who I suspect is incapable of producing a song I don’t like. This is a very fine tune, which made me want to go back and listen to the album it’s from.

Laura Marling “Devil’s Spoke”: I’ll confess to finding Marling a bit ‘meh’, although these days her ubiquity is starting to put her the wrong side of ‘meh’. I know any vocalist is ‘performing’ but the best singers make you forget that they’re acting. Marling never does that for me. I’m always thinking ‘this is an act’ when I hear her sing, especially now she’s started sounding American.

Sufjan Stevens “In the Devil’s Territory”: A good song from a fine album.

Holly Golightly “Devil Do”: An artist I knew of, but hadn’t really listened to very much. A decent, no-nonsense but pleasantly dark tune.

PJ Harvey “The Devil”: This made me realise that I’ve probably not listened to White Chalk as much as I should. Very good.

Gillian Welch “The Devil had a hold of me”: I tend to like some bits of Gillian Welch more than others. I like the tune but I’m less keen on her vocals here.

British Sea Power “No Lucifer”: I find BSP an interesting band in some ways, without actually being a big fan of their music. I struggle a bit with the vocals I think. This song is one of their more memorable ones but I find it hard to really buy into.

Japandroids “Lucifer’s Symphony”: A band I’d vaguely heard of but didn’t know much about. Struggled a bit to really get into this. Quite repetitive, which I often like, but I don’t think the bits that are being repeated are quite thrilling enough to hold my attention.

Marnie Stern “The Devil’s in the Details”: I quite like Marnie Stern but I sometimes think she concentrates on guitar hi-jinks more than on writing good tunes. There are some good sounds in this one though.

So some good tunes here and I generally enjoyed the mix. It perhaps veers a bit too much towards the well-known, which sometimes made it hard to listen to the songs afresh. I don't know that I entirely shook off my pre-formed opinions about some of the artists. But it was quite a fun theme with some very good individual songs.

I'm just going to bung songs I like into a playlist and give it some bullshit theme in the future. Sticking to any theme I give myself equals a playlist I'm not overly happy with.

I would also like to recommend this album. Fence Records have been plugging a play they got on BBC6 Music all over twitter so I gave it a listen and it's nice Saturday morning/day/afternoon/evening listening.

The Shivers – More

Daughters – S/T

This is how to do 'heavy' music whilst being massively accessible. If you've listened to these guys' first two albums and didn't like them, this is a complete change in direction. Layers and layers and layers of guitars and drums that are as heavy as a, er, heavy thing. The vocalist sounds like a cross between David Yow of the Jesus Lizard and Elvis Presley. Absolutely ace.

This week I have mostly been listening to...

'Within and Without' by Washed Out

This album is so lovely, I want to give it a cuddle. Chilled. Synthy. Words. Etc.

'Trash Kit' by Trash Kit

Lady punx!!!!!!!1!11! The music is good and the vocals are also okay. I am appalling at describing things, go listen to it.

'Red State' by Gowns

Eeeeeeeerie. That's all.

'Mind Bokeh' by Bibio

A friend gave me a copy of 'Ambivalence Avenue' a while ago and I loved it, so was glad to hear there's a new Bibio album. I prefer Ambivalence Avenue, but this is still pretty nice.

• Upvote 2