aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

I want a high gain bridge pickup for my Les Paul, but don't know what to get.

Thought about a Bare Knuckle Warpig... then thought about an EMG81 but not sure if I want to go down the active route.

What style of music are you wanting to play? If it is anything vaguely modern sounding there are better BKP's for that purpose. The warpigs are very bass heavy and if you are doing the staccato type riffing they don't track that as well as aftermaths etc. I mean to try a gyutar wuth a bridge holydiver or nailbomb as I know many people who rave about them. Everyone has their own preferences but I have thoroughly experimented with EMG's and prefer passives. IF you want to go down the active route get SD Blackouts.

However if you want a passive that sounds kinda like an active BKP just launched the Black Hawks and the Dimarzio D-activators are meant to be pretty good replacement for actives.

If you are on a budget I recommend a set of these. http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_017.htm They look cool and sound pretty decent too. You can get a set for <£60 from axetec.

Maybe not ideal for straight comparison due to different guitar styles/wood but I have the following pickups if you want to try them

Ibanez RG (basswood) with bridge BKP warpig and neck nailbomb

Mahogany 7 with calibrated set of BKP aftermaths

My soon to be arriving 6 (this is chambered mahogany bodyto will be nothing like a heavy LP body!) has an aftermath bridge

Ibanez RG (mahogany) with EMG81/85

and I have a cheap project LP copy that I put a set of the Iron Gear Hammer Heads in.

From what I remember you were in a hardcore band so you may want to ask Scott/unbroken from Prelude to the Hunt. Pretty sure he got warpigs for his LP.

Gear that I want is for my new guitar to be ready :( Luthier was hoping to get it done by today but guessing not as no email from him to say it has been sent .

Yeah it's hardcore, wanted something really chunky and powerful. My setup is pretty simple. Just a JCM and the Les Paul. Which is already a fairly heavy sounding guitar. I love Gibson pickups but it just doesn't have that grunt I want. I've heard good things about those Dimarzio D-activators, but still unsure. I guess the best thing to do is shop around and try out some guitars fitted with them.

The Ceramic Warpig is less bass heavy than the standard Alnico one. Much tighter bottom end. Great for chugs and staccato stuff. Best Pickup I've ever used. I had it coil tapped too. It sounded so pissed when tapped. Mean as hell.

I agree about EMG. Not a fan. A buttload of output, but they just ain't got no soul. Really dull to my ears

See that's what I'm pretty much after. I'm not going to bother tapping it, gonna rip out the neck pickup and the tone controls and , make the pickup selector a kill switch. It's a black beat up Les Paul studio (the older one with the gold hardwear and without the tone holes) - It'll look and sound bad ass. Using guage 13's (cos it's in drop C) so it'll be even more beefed up with them. I've always been really lazy and paid through the nose to get pickups fitted in the past, but this time I'm doing it myself.

Yeah it's hardcore, wanted something really chunky and powerful. My setup is pretty simple. Just a JCM and the Les Paul. Which is already a fairly heavy sounding guitar. I love Gibson pickups but it just doesn't have that grunt I want. I've heard good things about those Dimarzio D-activators, but still unsure. I guess the best thing to do is shop around and try out some guitars fitted with them.

The offer still stands to try my ones. If you practice at Toms I live nearby so as long as you help me transport stuff it's no problem! Definitely give the Hammer Heads a go. £60 is definitely friendlier on your wallet than spending £230 on a set of warpigs!

The Ceramic Warpig is less bass heavy than the standard Alnico one. Much tighter bottom end. Great for chugs and staccato stuff. Best Pickup I've ever used. I had it coil tapped too. It sounded so pissed when tapped. Mean as hell.

I agree about EMG. Not a fan. A buttload of output, but they just ain't got no soul. Really dull to my ears

I have no idea which warpig I have. Took them out of another guitar I owned. But for Ross G all my BKP guitars have the bridge tapped so you can hear them in single coil form too! They are nowhere near as good at the staccato stuff as the aftermaths though. The aftermaths were designed for that purpose.

EMG's don't sound too bad with the 18V mod - I sold a guitar recently which had that and it was pretty hefty like an LP so maybe not too bad a comparison. Eliot from ElevenEleven bought it so if you know him you could maybe ask for a shot.

See that's what I'm pretty much after. I'm not going to bother tapping it, gonna rip out the neck pickup and the tone controls and , make the pickup selector a kill switch. It's a black beat up Les Paul studio (the older one with the gold hardwear and without the tone holes) - It'll look and sound bad ass. Using guage 13's (cos it's in drop C) so it'll be even more beefed up with them. I've always been really lazy and paid through the nose to get pickups fitted in the past, but this time I'm doing it myself.

Disregard the above comment about the price of a set then. Don't rip out the neck pickup as it will look bloody stupid. Just don't wire it up. Eddie Van Halens frankenstrat was possibly the worst looking guitar ever and I have no idea why people like the look of guitars with bits missing!

As Keeno says, the Aftermath pickup is really great for that sort of stuff too. I've only heard sound clips of the Aftermath as opposed to actual use of a Ceramic Warpig, but the Aftermath does sound incredibly tight. It's a very slick sounding high output. I'd say the Warpig definitely has more 'grunt' if that's what you're after. Rolling off the volume slightly will tighten up the response if you do want super slick, tight chugs. Or you can max it out and let it kick the fuck out of everyone.

I'm a fan of the Nailbomb too, though it does lack a bit of low end, it's got such a cutting mid-range. Great for chunky sounding chords.

As Keeno says, the Aftermath pickup is really great for that sort of stuff too. I've only heard sound clips of the Aftermath as opposed to actual use of a Ceramic Warpig, but the Aftermath does sound incredibly tight. It's a very slick sounding high output. I'd say the Warpig definitely has more 'grunt' if that's what you're after. Rolling off the volume slightly will tighten up the response if you do want super slick, tight chugs. Or you can max it out and let it kick the fuck out of everyone.

I'm a fan of the Nailbomb too, though it does lack a bit of low end, it's got such a cutting mid-range. Great for chunky sounding chords.

I don't think low end matters that much in a heavy/high gain tone though unless you want a muddy wall of noise in a band setting. It is nice to hear the bass player. Anyway for an idea of how nailbombs can sound in a hardcore/mathcore style band I know one of the guitarists in this band uses a set of nailbombs in his RG. http://sectioned.bandcamp.com/ and this is some of his other recorded music here http://juggernaught.bandcamp.com/

If you are on a budget I recommend a set of these. http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_017.htm They look cool and sound pretty decent too. You can get a set for <£60 from axetec.

You, sir, are a fucking gent. £50 for a pair of P90s? Yes please!

Got any more gems of websites for cheap/awesome pups, save me spending £150 on a pair of Phat Cats!

xx

You, sir, are a fucking gent. £50 for a pair of P90s? Yes please!

Got any more gems of websites for cheap/awesome pups, save me spending £150 on a pair of Phat Cats!

xx

They are the only ones I have experience of. PM davetherave, I remember him having a guitar that had the alchemist P90's so he will tell you what they are like.

Ive decided to change my set up a wee bit cymbal wise, for years ive used the standard 2 crashes 16" and 18" and a 22" ride, but i now want to just have a big fuck off 24" ride, probably this one,

http://zildjian.com/Products/Drumset-Cymbals/Cast-Bronze-Cymbals/K-Zildjian-Series/24-K-Light-Ride

and another big fuck off crash maybe one of these,

http://zildjian.com/Products/Drumset-Cymbals/Cast-Bronze-Cymbals/A-Custom-Series/20-A-Custom-Crash

got to start saving tho the Z ride wont come cheap!

Mistyped original post - was a display for it not the actual thing, not out for 2 weeks. Dude in the shop said they sound amazing for the price.............

I think it looks decent, had a blast through the Greta from the same range and if it's like that then it'll be a peach.

Tempted to trade in my Blackstar combo for it @ R&B. Might nip in at lunchtime and negotiate.

• Upvote 1

Not as modded as I hoped it would be though :(

What you doing to your jagmaster btw?

Need to order a pickguard and heavier trem block and then rebuild. Got a Duncan Invader & JB4, wilkinson bridge and locking tuners for it just sitting idle. Thinking about selling it on to someone as a project though cos I don't think i'll ever really play it and it's too pretty to be the ugly sister of my guitars.................

Dunno, a stock one goes for circa £200 on Ebay - mine is in pieces but with much better parts - although I still have all the stock bits except for the pickups that Stroopy's getting.

Still needs a new scratchplate (got the original to use as a template), trem block and electrics though.

It's the 20th Anniversary Silver Flake one so it's Chinese built and has a 25.5 scale length.

Say £150-ish?