aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

Its not my type of amp at all really. I dont think I would ever use the lead channel. I'm all about the clean tones.

I wish guys doing gear reviews would cover loads of different styles of music, using guitars with different pick ups and the like. Just some dude rocking out thrash riffs and mad solos on an ibanez gives you no idea what an amp really sounds like. Least that guy didn't rock out the standard 'in a guitar shop' style blues rock pish that seems to dominate gear videos.

Well the official Laney one with the guy playing the Ibanez guitars is clearly aimed at metal players. The very fact he uses an 8 string for a couple of minutes at the end is more than enough to confirm that. Despite that there is still a couple of minutes playing around with the clean channel, which is a hell of a lot more than what usually happens in reverse in guitar magazine reviews! Even when they do break away from strats and blues riffs and attempt 'high gain' demonstrations though, it's usually just a les paul with PAF's and the gain turned all the way up with no boost, which sounds crap and is totally different to what any player using the amp for that purpose would do! I guess they are targeted at the readership though, and each magazine generally knows what sort of players buy the magazine and generally the bedroom players just do what they like.

The second video is pretty decent though. 1 guitar going through the range of every knob on the amp, at least gives you a better idea of the range of sounds on offer, even if it is not optimised for each sound. I generally find a properly mic'd bedroom review to be much more useful than most of the pro stuff as they usually do try out a range of sounds and some of the people do multiple demos in different styles with different guitars. Some of the store demos are great too. Andertons put up some great ones and Chappers is pretty funny too which helps. http://www.youtube.com/user/RobChappers/videos they are on that channel

120 watts the boy in the video said

It comes in 60 watt and 120 watt versions. I posted a pic of the 60w version and video of the 120w so my fault I guess! Other than having 2 more output tubes don't think there is much difference between them though.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_irt60h_ironheart.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_irt120h_ironheart.htm

Its not my type of amp at all really. I dont think I would ever use the lead channel. I'm all about the clean tones.

I wish guys doing gear reviews would cover loads of different styles of music, using guitars with different pick ups and the like. Just some dude rocking out thrash riffs and mad solos on an ibanez gives you no idea what an amp really sounds like. Least that guy didn't rock out the standard 'in a guitar shop' style blues rock pish that seems to dominate gear videos.

I think it's good that there's more demo videos coming out that demonstrate heavy music at least. 99% of videos just seem to be, as you say, generic blues riffs and standard noodling. Sometimes I just want to know what a massive barre chord sounds like through whatever gear they are demoing.

I dare say that this (Kurt Cobain Mustang) will be available in Europe. Best to try and find a Japanese 69RI instead though.

I've seen them listed as in stock recently.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-kurt-cobain-mustang-electric-guitar-sonic-blue--93164

Andertons don't have any more until July but don't know if that is because they sold out of the initial run or not.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid22833/cid671/fender-kurt-cobain-mustang-in-sonic-blue.asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

You spelled VERELLEN wrong.

In fact, I've been in contact with Mr Verellen... I'm still pretty keen, but a little worried that I'll pay a truckload of green for something that can barely contain the DOOM. Maybe I could request a custom dealie with a knob that has BIRTHDAY PONY TONE written on it for that nice plug and play experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I raise you this. Not even private stock and surprisingly affordable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-Modern-Eagle-25th-Anniversary-Private-stock-quality-quilt-/200765504774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebe8e7d06

DSC01974.jpg

On a private stock note, these are all fap worthy.

$%28KGrHqRHJCwE90pZQ9WCBPpC7OL2g!~~60_35.JPG

PRSPRIVATESWAMPASHSTUDIO-ETBa.jpg

this without scratchplate would be one of the nicest things I had ever seen.

$(KGrHqJ,!gwE8NWumGjnBPOlo1qLi!~~60_12.JPG

Considering this. Been eyeing a custom 6 for ages but it's pretty close to what I would get. Neck is from an Ibanez S series though which are trem equipped so neck will have unnecessary locking nuts at the end of the neck but mainly a cosmetic problem! Would get dual humbucker too but I don't use neck pickups much anyway so again far from offputting.

guitarp.jpg

guitar2j.jpg

I do indeed like natural finishes but mostly with exotic woods. Ash and mahogany can look stunning with nice stains though. Mayones have an amazing finish with ash, I will try find it. Purple/red flamed or quilted maple finishes always get me too. Same with the more interesting burst finishes. Don't hate pickguards all the time. Look alright on guitars like this. Red sunburst and flamed maple = drooool

aw-7-brsb-xlg.jpg

EDIT: Found the Mayones sandblast finish.

405934545Setius_Gothic_red_matt_black.jpg

• Upvote 1

I am no fan of PRS guitars and the like, they look like tart's handbags to me.

Im not usually a fan either but recently I've just had a hankering for one. I'm normally not a fan of flamed maple tops either. Don't know whats come over me recently. I don't particularly like humbucking pick ups either. They are the complete opposite of what I look for in a guitar but I find myself strangely attracted to them.

I took a good two minutes to figure out what was going on with that ESP.

Also the PRS in the ebay auction, I wouldn't really call £19 short of 2 grand affordable! But hey maybe that's just me being a cheap skate.

Also I want these two bad boys

paisley&flowers.jpg

Im not usually a fan either but recently I've just had a hankering for one. I'm normally not a fan of flamed maple tops either. Don't know whats come over me recently. I don't particularly like humbucking pick ups either. They are the complete opposite of what I look for in a guitar but I find myself strangely attracted to them.

I took a good two minutes to figure out what was going on with that ESP.

Also the PRS in the ebay auction, I wouldn't really call £19 short of 2 grand affordable! But hey maybe that's just me being a cheap skate.

Also I want these two bad boys

£2000 is very affordable when compared to the private stock guitars, the ones I posted range from £5000-£8000 and there may be some even more than that. These are just the ones I have seen!

You can always get a humbucker sized P90! By 'what was going on with the ESP' do you mean the 7th string? It's actually the sig model of a guy who plays in a deathcore band. Looks surprisingly classy all things considered.

Yeah I mean the 7th string. I was looking at it and was thinking 'there's something different about that guitar'. It looks well too metal for me though. I'd take a pink or blue flowery telecaster over it any day ;) The finish is well nice though. It looks well better than that Jim Root strat Fender are knocking out at the moment. IMO add a white scratch plate and some proper strat single coils and you'd have a pretty nice guitar. I would need a 'normal' neck though. I'm nae cool enough to be in a deathcore band.

I don't think I would ever drop 8 grand on a guitar. I'd be too scared to even look at it incase I turned into Gambit and lasered it into a pile of ash. I would just constantly worry about it. Even if I won the lottery or something I still probably wouldn't, from my point of view you could potentially buy 7 or 8 fairly top end guitars for that sorta cash. Would give you a lot more options tone wise and you'd have a pretty neat collection too.