aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

It was big, but I don't think it was too surprising. He ruled out Real Madrid long ago, and there's few teams who would stump up the money for him. It seemed to be that the transfer was sealed in January, but that's just a rumour, but it adds up, as there was no fuss or dragging out. It just happened.

I wonder where Ibra will go.

I wonder where Ibra will go.

City have been linked with him... This will not come as a surprise.

Right, early preview:

Peterhead - last year was slightly disappointing, in that we were utter pish for 3/4 of the season, yet still could have made the playoffs right up until the last day. This year depends who we sign. Crucially, Davie Donald, Callum Macdonald, Sharpy, Biscuits and Bav are all under contract so we're keeping key players. We do, though, need a good central mid to partner Biscuits (Paul Emslie would be good, thanks), a right winger as we've dinghied Barry Wilson, and a striker who ISN'T DAVIE FUCKING ROSS!

City - Not making the CL wasn't the disaster it was made out to be, but I still don't think we've got the right manager. SWP is getting an extended contract despite being an older, less useful Walcott, and we appear to be trying to sign overrated, aging players past their prime for ridiculous amounts. No, Bobby Manc, Steven Gerrard is not worth 40M, especially when we have Stevie Ireland who you don't fucking play, you buffoon.

Saying that, AJ's been a fantastic signing so if he can pull a few more decent youngsters out the bag, tighten our defence and learn how to use subs, we might just qualify this year.

City have been linked with him... This will not come as a surprise.

Right, early preview:

Peterhead - last year was slightly disappointing, in that we were utter pish for 3/4 of the season, yet still could have made the playoffs right up until the last day. This year depends who we sign. Crucially, Davie Donald, Callum Macdonald, Sharpy, Biscuits and Bav are all under contract so we're keeping key players. We do, though, need a good central mid to partner Biscuits (Paul Emslie would be good, thanks), a right winger as we've dinghied Barry Wilson, and a striker who ISN'T DAVIE FUCKING ROSS!

City - Not making the CL wasn't the disaster it was made out to be, but I still don't think we've got the right manager. SWP is getting an extended contract despite being an older, less useful Walcott, and we appear to be trying to sign overrated, aging players past their prime for ridiculous amounts. No, Bobby Manc, Steven Gerrard is not worth 40M, especially when we have Stevie Ireland who you don't fucking play, you buffoon.

Saying that, AJ's been a fantastic signing so if he can pull a few more decent youngsters out the bag, tighten our defence and learn how to use subs, we might just qualify this year.

Word on the Manchester football forums is that Ireland has handed in a transfer request, to be replaced by possibly Arteta. That'd be a decent move. Arteta is severely underrated. Can't see Everton parting with him though.

Milner has snubbed Man United because he's a Leeds United fan. Alan Smith also said the same, but made the switch a couple of months later. LEEDS! LEEDS! LEEDS! LEEDS! LEEDS!

I can't see him going anywhere other than Real Madrid, which is a shame. I don't think Madrid is the place to go for any manager with ambition, as he'll be axed in a couple of years regardless of what he wins. He also won't be given complete control, and I think that will irk him quite a bit. He will say that he hates Spain, and will probably come back to England.

He's been talking alot about getting a 'grand slam' of titles. It seems important to him to have won the league title in England, Italy and Spain. He'll defenitely be back in England after his spell at Madrid. He doesn't appear to be the type to stick around in one place for too long so even if Real want him gone after two years he might not need to be pushed.

Away you go, we'll be winning the whole thing.

well my first thought was to say "meanwhile Utd lift the cup" but chances are they won't meet lower division teams in the semi & final! :up:

it's in our best interests to have our teams do well in europe but i'm as confident in them as i am in the dons in getting above 9th place next season.

Word on the Manchester football forums is that Ireland has handed in a transfer request, to be replaced by possibly Arteta. That'd be a decent move. Arteta is severely underrated. Can't see Everton parting with him though.

Heard about Ireland's request a couple of days ago. Doesn't surprise me, as he went from being our best player to being a bit-part player in the space of a summer.

Arteta would be good, but again, he's in his late 20s. All our good young(ish) players seem to be on the way out with older guys coming in.

Okay, a more honest preview of the season ahead for Newcastle United. It's going to be a long, hard slog regardless of what happens during the transfer window. By my estimation, we need to bring in at least 3 guaranteed starters and a couple of extra players to pad the squad out. RB is probably the most obvious position to improve upon as Simpson has been gash since he made his move permanent and Ryan Taylor isn't any better. An option would be to play Steven Taylor there (presuming he stays) as he's looked decent when he's played there in the past, but then we need to buy another CB. A central midfielder with legs/creativity is an absolute must as our current players in that position are among the most immobile in the league. Barton can't be relied upon for a number of reasons, Smith will need to curb his aggression to pander to Premiership officials, Guthrie is a fantastic passer but doesn't offer much else, and I'd rather see Nolan deployed as a second striker. Ireland would be absolutely perfect for us but I can't see that happening in a million years. We've been linked with Jack Wilshere on-loan which would do nicely.

We need a striker. A front-line of Andy Carroll, Shola Ameobi, Peter Lovenkrands, and Leon fucking Best isn't going to score us enough goals. Nicky Maynard is a player who really seems to be coming into his own at Bristol City but I have no idea if he's ready to step up. I really don't know who the hell we'll end up signing in this department, but we need goals.

Aside from that, we could probably use a couple of extra squad players, but I believe that the core of the squad is actually quite solid (for a lower Premiership side). Harper's probably got about 1-2 seasons left in him before he passes the torch to Krul or Forster. Taylor's proven himself to be a reasonable Prem defender in the past, Coloccini looks a far cry from the flat-footed idiot he was in his first season, and I wouldn't swap Jose Enrique for half of the LB's in the league. Gutierrez can run defences into the ground, Wayne Routledge changed our team completely when he signed, and if we can actually get Joey Barton playing consistently then I think he can be an asset. I really think Andy Carroll is going to continue improving this season, too.

Much has been made of Ashley's "no capital outlay on players" statement but I'm pretty certainly that it's been misinterpreted. Hughton's going on a World Cup scouting mission and seems to think he has some cash to spend, so fingers crossed. I hope he does as well in this transfer window as he did the last.

This is a massive season for Hughton, too. I've been critical of him in the past, but he seems to have learned from his mistakes as he's gone on, and that's more I can say for the likes of Roeder, Allardyce, Souness, etc. He realised that our Stoke-esque hoofball was too one dimensional and altered the squad accordingly in January. He's a smart, softly-spoken man who does a fantastic job of taking pressure away from his players by making sure everything remains calm and composed. Chris Hughton is the antithesis of all the bullshit that's hung over NUFC for the past few years, and I really do hope he succeeds.

Howay the lads. It's good to be back in the Premiership. Really enjoyed our season in the Championship, but it's time to get back to business.

If England were playing a good side last night who had a bit more cutting edge about their delivery, then we would have been shat on. They had all of the possession, and even broke through a few times due to Carrick being rubbish and King still looking a little rusty. Carrick's passing was pointlessly risky and King's marking was often non-existant. Hopefully we'll smash Japan to bits, for a bit of a morale booster.

Too early to make Dons predictions until we see which players McGhee is going to bring in. Hopefully we can get some decent experienced players in, but it's going to be a struggle.

I think this is going to be a massive problem.....

We've already went from getting 10 new players.....

To 6 new players.....

To 3 key players today.

I certainly will not be purchasing a season ticket until I see some slight ambition being shown.

Highly unlikely.

I think this is going to be a massive problem.....

We've already went from getting 10 new players.....

To 6 new players.....

To 3 key players today.

I certainly will not be purchasing a season ticket until I see some slight ambition being shown.

Highly unlikely.

Don't forget it started as a list of 100 potential targets.