aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild
Utd to split the OF this season? Thoughts?

No.

If any team is capable, it's Dundee United; but Rangers and Celtic still have better players, better coaches, better stadia/training facilities, more supporters, more financial clout, and, most crucially, they have the media and referees completely on their side.

They will never fail to comprise the top two in Scottish football.

I predict his main role will be to provide the Evening Express with a back page story on slow news days along the lines of "Howard ready to fight for Number 1 spot" where he'll be quoted as saying "I didn't come here to be an understudy" and "all I can do is work hard in training and wait for my chance". They'll probably throw in some reference to the 'Goalkeepers Union' so they can drag it out into far right column of the second back page. You can pull that one out the bag every three months I reckon. He'll then get a couple of games towards the end of another poor season by which time everyone will be too bored to even notice.

Stand Free

Looks like they've pulled this out already. Back page of the P&J today:

"Enough bench-warming for Howard as he eyes No.1 slot"

As for Utd (or anyone) splitting the OF, I fear idol_wild is correct. :(

COYR!

They will never fail to comprise the top two in Scottish football.

Well, apart from when Hearts did it a few years ago.

It's definitely possible to split them and I'm even optimistic that another team could have a serious tilt at the title some day soon. It just takes a team to ignore all the media bullshit about it being a done deal at the start of every season and have a bit of ambition, not to mention a lot of luck with injuries and managing to keep a good team together for a year or two to build the challenge. Oh and Celtic and Rangers need to be very average, which they have been recently.

The problem isn't beating them on the day it's being consistent enough to beat the shit teams every other day.

Rangers look to be losing alot and not really replenishing the squad though, and Celtic were shite last season, and still aren't pasting over their cracks yet. There's no a huge difference in quality with the teams on paper compared to the other 10 teams anymore like there used to be. Dundee could give them a right good go.

Not that it matters. Rangers could have Franny Jeffers upfront and still average 3 penalties a game.

Guest idol_wild
Well, apart from when Hearts did it a few years ago.

The problem isn't beating them on the day it's being consistent enough to beat the shit teams every other day.

I don't consider Hearts to be a viable entity. Fuck Hearts. I hate them more than the Old Firm, actually - simply because some of their fans appear to possess the desire to emulate Rangers. That's even worse than being Rangers.

You're totally spot on regarding consistency against "everyone else", but the SPL is so fickle outwith the top two - literally anyone can beat anyone because the level, across the board, is very similar.

I don't consider Hearts to be a viable entity. Fuck Hearts. I hate them more than the Old Firm, actually - simply because some of their fans appear to possess the desire to emulate Rangers. That's even worse than being Rangers.

You're totally spot on regarding consistency against "everyone else", but the SPL is so fickle outwith the top two - literally anyone can beat anyone because the level, across the board, is very similar.

I really don't understand how Hearts can continue as a viable entity with their massive debt, and they are still paying more wages than the likes of the Dons, look at Kevin Kyle. I know Romanov is servicing the debt via his own bank, but how long can that go on for?

Guest idol_wild
I really don't understand how Hearts can continue as a viable entity with their massive debt, and they are still paying more wages than the likes of the Dons, look at Kevin Kyle. I know Romanov is servicing the debt via his own bank, but how long can that go on for?

Hopefully forever so I can continue hating Hearts. I love to hate Hearts.

Hate is healthy.

Why would a convicted rapist thig want to be associated with a club like Rangers?

Mike Tyson in the Bluenose corner | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

And why would a "family club" like Rangers not take immediate steps to distance themselves from him? Then again, they were quite happy to take a million off a pondlife ned cunt like "lotto lout" Mikey Carroll so don't expect any standards from a Rangers bastard. Come to think of it, I'm hard put to think of anything more stomach-churning than a "Rangers family". What a nauseating mental image.

This just reinforces my belief, like it needed any reinforcing, that they're the most disgusting team in the entire world, even more so than Falkirk and that's saying something. They are lower than whale shit, they could crawl under a snake wearing a tophat, they are fucking vile and the sooner the sectarian bastards are wiped off the face of the fucking earth to the point of complete extinction the better. Words just cannot adequately convey the revulsion I feel for them, the fucking Rangers bastards. I really get a perverse relish out of despising them.

:swearing:

• Upvote 1

And why would a "family club" like Rangers not take immediate steps to distance themselves from him? Then again, they were quite happy to take a million off a pondlife ned cunt like "lotto lout" Mikey Carroll so don't expect any standards from a Rangers bastard. Come to think of it, I'm hard put to think of anything more stomach-churning than a "Rangers family". What a nauseating mental image.

This just reinforces my belief, like it needed any reinforcing, that they're the most disgusting team in the entire world, even more so than Falkirk and that's saying something. They are lower than whale shit, they could crawl under a snake wearing a tophat, they are fucking vile and the sooner the sectarian bastards are wiped off the face of the fucking earth to the point of complete extinction the better. Words just cannot adequately convey the revulsion I feel for them, the fucking Rangers bastards. I really get a perverse relish out of despising them.

:swearing:

I'm glad I don't take posts personally!!! :)

Morgan Freeman was at the World Cup final too. All the "Oh yeah, I like footieball" celebrities come out of nowhere for the big occasions.

And yes, I'm implying Peterborough Vs West Ham in the pre season is a big occasion

He was probably only there as a guest of Nelson Mandela because he played Nelson Mandela in Invictus recently.

A mix of youth and trialists, with a few first team regulars. Still, should really be stuffing the Broch.

From afc.co.uk

Fraserburgh 3 Aberdeen 1 3.00pm kick off Bellslea Park

Steven Main 39; James Duguid 66 Clark Robertson og 68 mins; Jeff Smith 52 mins

While results are not of major significance at this stage of the season, this was not quite the start to the new campaign Aberdeen were looking for. The Dons were beaten by a youthful Fraserburgh side that more than warranted their victory at Bellslea Park.

For the first pre-season game against the Highland League side the Dons lined up in a 4-3-3 formation. New signing Rory McArdle started at right back with Diamond and Joe Shaughnessy at centre half and Robbie Williams at left back. The three in midfield were Fraser Fyvie, with trialists Ahmed and Folly. Up front Darren Mackie was partnered with Mitch Megginson and Chris Maguire.

So the Dons boss gave starts to three of the Dons half dozen trialists for the opening pre-season friendly and it was one of them, Robbie Williams, who caught the eye early on with a diagonal pass in the 9th minute that almost saw youngster Fraser Fyvie clear on goal.

The Highland League side, celebrating their centenary season, were by no means overawed, forcing two early corners that the visitors scrambled to safety.In the 14th minute a neat Williams ball down the line was met by Darren Mackie, ahead of the onrushing Paul Leask, but the ball trundled wide of the target. At the other end, Yoann Folly did well to turn a Dane Ballard effort on the turn wide for a corner.

Mitch Megginson scorned a great chance to put the visitors in front after 27 minutes but his hurried shot flew well wide of Leask's goal.On the half hour mark a well struck volley by Maguire was comfortably held by Leask.

Aberdeen were coming more into it and a 34th minute Williams free kick was again dealt with by Leask.However, it was the home side who produced the best football of the match with a flowing move that ended when the unfortunate Allan Hale trod on the ball.

Mackie and Fyvie then both should have done better with should that failed to trouble Leask.

The hosts shocked their full time opponents by taking the lead in 39 minutes when a mix up between Rory McArdle and Jamie Langfield left the keeper stranded and Steven Main took full advantage with a cleverly executed ball into the roof of the net.Right on the stoke of the interval, Maguire fired a free kick that again Leask was equal to.

Both sides made wholesale changes at the break with the Dons replacing all eleven who started and switching from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 and with six minutes of the second half gone, Jeff Smith picked up a Scott Ross free kick before firing a snap shot from twenty-two yards that flew in off the crossbar.

A Jerel Ifil slip let Graham Johnston in with a sight of goal but Mark Howard parried the ball away for a corner. The part-timers restored their advantage in the 66th minute when a fierce Johnston free kick was pushed out by Howard to substitute James Duguid, who'd been on for less than a minute, who fired home from close range. Worse was to follow a minute later for the Dons when Clark Robertson turned a Robert Morrice cross into his own net.

The Dons are back in action tomorrow against Peterhead. Please note the kick-off is at 2.00pm.

Team: Langfield, McArdle, Diamond, Shaughnessy, Willams, Fyvie, Ahmed, Folly, Mackie, Megginson, Maguire

Second Half team: Howard, Jack, Ifil, Ross, Basey, Foster, Okus, Robertson, J Smith, Magennis, Paton

Was through at Glebe Park to watch the Hedge XI steamroller Montrose 4-0, it was grim viewing for the away support, and grim viewing for anyone passing the ball to Chris Hegarty.

Brechin's second goal was an utter scorcher, the only highlight of a poooooor game.