aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Aye, glad people enjoyed that article, I agree with the comments and I think the fact that he's shredded a lot of the shite that the pundits have said is long overdue. It's hard to see how we can go on like we have done. I was amazed to see the stat about the number of old firm fans in Scotland too!

that was the most shocking stat i think, why are kids choosing to support those teams? it can't just be gloryhunting or is it because they're on tv so much more?

it can't just be gloryhunting or is it because they're on tv so much more?

I'd imagine both of these play a big part of it. They are more accessible through TV so gain more exposure than anyone other teams in Scotland. This would only increase when they play the Champs League games against the big sides. Plus those who started supporting them when the OF were becoming more popular a decade or two ago will pass those allegiances onto their children so I can't see it changing in a hurry. It's the same with English teams as well I guess, how many of your friends support an English premiership side (the vast majority of my friends do) and compare that to 10-20 years ago.

Not me though, I support the Dons and only the Dons. Cut me and I'd bleed red.

that was the most shocking stat i think, why are kids choosing to support those teams? it can't just be gloryhunting or is it because they're on tv so much more?

I reckon it's because kids are too lazy to support a team that will rarely win anything i.e. their local team, whether that be Aberdeen, Montrose or Fraserburgh. It is much easier to support one of the big teams like Celtic, Rangers, Man Utd etc, so you can watch almost every game on tv, say that you are a 'fan' and get to gloat whatever trophy(ies) your team won this year.

Nobody had 'an English team' until Sky came along as far as I'm aware?

That article is great. I suppose living in Glasgow I don't really notice the stat about how many people support one side of the OF.

I do notice at work though, in Falkirk, that a lot of the young people or children that I work with do support either side. Very very few Falkirk fans that's for sure!!

Kevin McKenna's bit about middle class areas is crazy. I'll give him Bearsden, but has he spent any considerable time in Bishopbriggs? It's definitely a mixed bag.

So many OF fans see it as their duty to pass the baton, as it were. They believe that their kids should be brought up supporting a club who have 'great tradition and history' etc. Their misty-eyed romantic outlook about their 'big family' flies in the face of the facts. There is nothing noble about supporting either cheek of the Old Firm arse. Celtic's smug, self-awarded superiority and Rangers' bizarre 'weeee urrr rra peeppulll' stance are the most misguided, short-sighted and downright embarrassing stains on the Scottish football landscape. And, by extension (given that football is such a way of life in this country), on Scottish society as a whole.

Any Old Firm fan with a hint of level headedness and rationale would not subject their offspring to the life of supporting Celtic or Rangers; the ones who do should be cursing their dads and supporting their local side.

Celtic fans can go fuck themselves. Never have a more ignorant people claimed moral and intellectual superiorty than in their case. One Glaswegian last week asked me, simply, 'Celtic or Rangers?'. When I replied 'Aberdeen', she said 'aye but which of the Old Firm do you prefer?'. I could not give less of a fuck which half of their pathetic sorority wins which trophy from one season to the next. They have stifled the life out of football in this country with their pathetic bickering and embarrassing antics, and they really expect me to pick a favourite?

As for Rangers fans. Well. Let's just say that Lesley, as an intelligent, articulate and rational fan of theirs, is included in a miniscule percentile.

I'd imagine both of these play a big part of it. They are more accessible through TV so gain more exposure than anyone other teams in Scotland. This would only increase when they play the Champs League games against the big sides. Plus those who started supporting them when the OF were becoming more popular a decade or two ago will pass those allegiances onto their children so I can't see it changing in a hurry. It's the same with English teams as well I guess, how many of your friends support an English premiership side (the vast majority of my friends do) and compare that to 10-20 years ago.

Not me though, I support the Dons and only the Dons. Cut me and I'd bleed red.

The only way it'll change is if another side challenge the Old Firm consistently, be it through stupid investment or whatever. Back in the 90's where I grew up, you either supported your local side, United, or Liverpool, despite being about 40 miles away from Manchester, and 60 from Liverpool. Even Blackburn winning the league brought out a few plastic Blackburn fans around my way, though they didn't last long. Certainly wasn't any Chelsea or Man City fans, where as there's Chelsea and City fans everywhere now, because they're powerful sides.

Don't really care who people support though. You get what you want out of football, whether it's grumbling on the terraces, or watching United/Chelsea win the league on Sky. I suppose if you have no interest in going to watch live football, or simply can't afford it, then picking a team who are on telly alot is going to be an obvious choice.

Any Old Firm fan with a hint of level headedness and rationale would not subject their offspring to the life of supporting Celtic or Rangers; the ones who do should be cursing their dads and supporting their local side.

This is a good point and I despise babies with football shirts, particularly OF ones.

I think when I was younger there wasn't really a choice as my parents' didn't have Sky, Rangers games were recorded on tape and my dad always got a video for Christmas from me of the player of the time. If I was from Edinburgh the same would apply but for an Edinburgh team and so on and so forth.

As much as I dislike Celtic as a team that doesn't stop me having Celtic supporting friends and I suppose the same applies for Aberdeen too.

I always follow teams I've managed on FM or Fifa. This is why I always check the Sampdoria and Sassuolo results. As for "supporting" Blackburn Rovers: when I was wee my Dad informed me that my Grandpa played for them* in the 1950s, so from then on I liked them. Nowadays I still follow their results, but i don't know why, and more often than not I'm glad when they lose. I do own a Blackburn shirt though. Aberdeen are the only team I actually care about though.

I live with a "Man U fan." He's never been to a game in his life, yet he thinks David Beckham is the best footballer ever and has bought a shirt every other year for almost his entire life. To show how much of a fan he is, he changed the channel after they went 3-0 down against Liverpool at the weekend. After I ranted at him for 5 minutes for being a dick and a fake football fan, he went to the shop and bought some doughnuts. Very annoying!

*I think he played once for them, and was only in their books for 1 season. I was unaware of this when I was younger!

Changing the channel is surely just the same as leaving the actual game early when your side are getting trounced?

Its different when you're a Man U fan, as your team always win. Its just different. Anyway, I don't really think fans should leave early when their team are losing. I've only ever done this when we played Sigma thingmebob.

Sorry chaps, I'm a little late with this due to being a bit drunk last night, but: YASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Swanaldinho strikes again. Outstanding. One Aberdeen fan described Clangers as having made an "uncharacteristic goalkeeping error". I wonder if they'd ever actually seen him play before...

We were dreadful in the first half - totally inept and uninterested. I thought our goal might have started a fightback and it was looking on...for about 5 minutes. Deserved nothing, got nothing.

Have Hartley's legs gone?! Looked that way a bit last night.

The only way it'll change is if another side challenge the Old Firm consistently, be it through stupid investment or whatever. Back in the 90's where I grew up, you either supported your local side, United, or Liverpool, despite being about 40 miles away from Manchester, and 60 from Liverpool. Even Blackburn winning the league brought out a few plastic Blackburn fans around my way, though they didn't last long. Certainly wasn't any Chelsea or Man City fans, where as there's Chelsea and City fans everywhere now, because they're powerful sides.

Don't really care who people support though. You get what you want out of football, whether it's grumbling on the terraces, or watching United/Chelsea win the league on Sky. I suppose if you have no interest in going to watch live football, or simply can't afford it, then picking a team who are on telly alot is going to be an obvious choice.

When I was a kid growing up in Fraserburgh in the 90s I didn't know one single Celtic fan in the whole town. Not one This was during the Rangers 9 in a row run and there were a few Huns in my school (who all supported them because their dad did) but the vast majority was Aberdeen. But as soon as O'Neill appeared and made them good and started wining trophies suddenly you couldn't move for fucking hoops, Celtic shirts everywhere, Celtic supporters groups watching all the Matches in the pubs, folk with Celtic flags outside their house. Where were they when Celtic were shite?

I always follow teams I've managed on FM or Fifa. This is why I always check the Sampdoria and Sassuolo results. As for "supporting" Blackburn Rovers: when I was wee my Dad informed me that my Grandpa played for them* in the 1950s, so from then on I liked them. Nowadays I still follow their results, but i don't know why, and more often than not I'm glad when they lose. I do own a Blackburn shirt though. Aberdeen are the only team I actually care about though.

I live with a "Man U fan." He's never been to a game in his life, yet he thinks David Beckham is the best footballer ever and has bought a shirt every other year for almost his entire life. To show how much of a fan he is, he changed the channel after they went 3-0 down against Liverpool at the weekend. After I ranted at him for 5 minutes for being a dick and a fake football fan, he went to the shop and bought some doughnuts. Very annoying!

*I think he played once for them, and was only in their books for 1 season. I was unaware of this when I was younger!

It was before the war actually. He was in his 40s in the 50s.

The only team I support other than Aberdeen is Crows FC who I made up on Pro Ev. Trinidadian winger Dwayne Spicer is a legend.

Guest idol_wild
Kris Boyd has signed for Nottingham Forest, with goalkeeper Paul Smith moving to 'Boro in return.

Both loan deals until the end of the season.

For Scotland's sake, here's hoping he starts banging the goals in at Forest.

Fucking hell, Forest have about eight strikers now. All the others are pacey workhorses with flashes of brilliance every so often.

At least Kris Boyd won't be another one of those.

Kris Boyd has signed for Nottingham Forest, with goalkeeper Paul Smith moving to 'Boro in return.

Both loan deals until the end of the season.

For Scotland's sake, here's hoping he starts banging the goals in at Forest.

Thank fuck for that. On both counts. We were in danger of having to start 16 year old Connor Ripley, plucked from the youth team, in goal after Jason Steele (only 18 himself) got injured during the horrific 5-2 defeat at Reading on Saturday to add to Danny Coyne's long term injury.

We're a shambles. We could go down if Scunthorpe manage to pick up a couple of wins.

Fucking hell, Forest have about eight strikers now. All the others are pacey workhorses with flashes of brilliance every so often.

At least Kris Boyd won't be another one of those.

Yeah, they poached Marcus Tudgay from us. Our best player. Now we are shit and can't buy a win, and he barely gets a game. Or he didn't a few weeks ago, Maybe he does now. I don't know. I hate football now.

Guest idol_wild
Yeah, they poached Marcus Tudgay from us. Our best player. Now we are shit and can't buy a win, and he barely gets a game. Or he didn't a few weeks ago, Maybe he does now. I don't know. I hate football now.

He's netted a few times for Forest already. Looks a decent buy. Forest play an expansive attacking game, and Davies seems to like pacey strikers who work hard, and can pull defenders out of position, therefore allowing space for the more composed and measured players (Paul McKenna, Paul Anderson, Chris Cohen and Lewis McGugan) to do their damage from midfield positions. McGugan is their top scorer, and he has scored a couple of absolute beezers this season.

Where Boyd fits in, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps Davies recognises a need for a fox-in-the-box, who will pick up all the scraps.

Or maybe he likes overweight, over-rated, and over-fed fuckholes who have managed to score regularly at a level beneath the Championship.