aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild

Remove them from the domestic cup competitions?

I wouldn't want a league points deduction, because then Hearts would win the league, and I fucking hate Hearts.

But aye, kick them out of the cups.

I agree with regards to the referee thing. It's a widespread problem in football. Fergie's rant the other night being another example. He suggested the ref was biased towards another team, that to me is inexcusable. He should be banned for a number of games. He wont be of course. Referees have the toughest job in the game and it seems everyone from the players to the managers to fifa/uefa seem intent on making it harder. They're not allowed video replays and have to make split second decisions that they may or may not instantly reconsider. Yet they can't go back on their decision or they get crucified. Like all football fans I get wound up by a ref but I genuinely have the utmost respect for them. Tough tough job with no gratitude if you do it well, only criticism if you don't.

I agree with regards to the referee thing. It's a widespread problem in football. Fergie's rant the other night being another example. He suggested the ref was biased towards another team, that to me is inexcusable. He should be banned for a number of games. He wont be of course. Referees have the toughest job in the game and it seems everyone from the players to the managers to fifa/uefa seem intent on making it harder. They're not allowed video replays and have to make split second decisions that they may or may not instantly reconsider. Yet they can't go back on their decision or they get crucified. Like all football fans I get wound up by a ref but I genuinely have the utmost respect for them. Tough tough job with no gratitude if you do it well, only criticism if you don't.

Absolutely, except in the following instance:

We all moan at referee decisions in the heat of the moment especially when at games and you don't have the luxury of replays. But they do a nigh on impossible job. Fergie was well out of order with his rant against Martin Atkinson especially with what happened with Wayne Rooney not getting sent off against Wigan. They do a tough job and they do get it wrong but Fergie's rant was personal and hinted that Atkinson has a bias towards Chelsea.

Every team has to put up with bad decisions at all levels as well as wrong decisions which go in your favour. I still say they even themselves out over a season.

yes fines and points deductions, not namby pampy fines but big fuck off huge ones that are going to hit players and managers hard. ban them for multiple games. Players and managers seem to think they are bigger than the game these days.

Referees aren't angels of course, they do make some terrible decisions that can effect clubs but that is part of the game. it's just these days we have so many avenues to vent our spleen. Tuesday morning tuned into talksport and they were still talking about Fergie's rant!

Just watched the highlights of last nights old firm game and the only person who came out of it with any dignity was the referee.

Wonder what McCoist said to Lennon that upset him so much, thats what it looks like happened from the pictures. Any light been shed on what hacked Lennon off so much?

Y'know what I'd love? Old Firm matches played behind closed doors with no TV cameras, no press coverage whatsoever. The referee reveals the score the next day. Do this each time they play one another over a whole season and fan trouble, disciplinary issues etc will be a thing of the past. Any time trouble flares up, the next game is a blackout again.

Obviously this could never happen due to television contracts etc, but it would be a brilliant way to handle it.

As numerous people have mentioned, fines are a fart against thunder. The docking of points, closed-door games and banning from Euro competition (after all, they are supposedly representing our country) would be good, but will never happen.

The SFA and SPL bosses are also in a tough spot; Rangers were the main perpetrators but if they are singled out there will be a massive outcry and the whole affair will be used as 'evidence' that they are unfairly treated (not unreminiscent of Celtic's laughable stance earlier this season). That will keep this story prominent for months, which they will certainly not like.

God I wish they would just leave Scottish football and take their backwards, bigoted selves off somewhere else.

I think the OF have universally buggered their slim hopes of ever playing in England once and for all. If they're going to inflict fines they have to the sort of money that is going to hurt the individual. I mean I think Fergie is fined 25 grand every time he refuses to speak to the BBC but the club stump up the money (correct me if I'm wrong on that one). So realistically the sort of fines that are going to hurt them are never going to be implemented.

Behind closed doors, European bans and massive points deductions is the way to tackle it but I doubt it'll happen. Maybe a points deduction but it would only be a two or three which would affect nothing. Dock em both 30 points and see how they like that up em!

I think the OF have universally buggered their slim hopes of ever playing in England once and for all. If they're going to inflict fines they have to the sort of money that is going to hurt the individual. I mean I think Fergie is fined 25 grand every time he refuses to speak to the BBC but the club stump up the money (correct me if I'm wrong on that one). So realistically the sort of fines that are going to hurt them are never going to be implemented.

Behind closed doors, European bans and massive points deductions is the way to tackle it but I doubt it'll happen. Maybe a points deduction but it would only be a two or three which would affect nothing. Dock em both 30 points and see how they like that up em!

I believe it was a rising fine starting at 1k but it rises as the season goes on. 60k for the season is what was reported back in summer.

Which Man U payed for him, so it cost him nothing.

Also on the Diouf issue the other boards I read that are talking about the old firm issues are suggesting Lennon shouted at Douf at the end of the first half and used the word 'Monkey'.

Whether it's true or not is yet to be seen but if Lennon did racially abuse Diouf then no matter how much of a dick Diouf is Lennon deserves lose his job.

EDIT: This has been coming from the Rangers side though so could be total bullshit. I see they're talking about it on some old firm boards as well.

England will never take these mutants with this sort of behaviour unfortunately, so looks like we're stuck with them.

I don't think any Englishman wants Rangers supporters trudging through their towns on away days. Not after what they did to Manchester and Lisbon. Perhaps if their fans were never allowed to travel would sweeten the deal. And also if they got no TV money, you know, so they both went bust? That'd be just grand.

Y'know what I'd love? Old Firm matches played behind closed doors with no TV cameras, no press coverage whatsoever. The referee reveals the score the next day. Do this each time they play one another over a whole season and fan trouble, disciplinary issues etc will be a thing of the past. Any time trouble flares up, the next game is a blackout again.

Obviously this could never happen due to television contracts etc, but it would be a brilliant way to handle it.

As numerous people have mentioned, fines are a fart against thunder. The docking of points, closed-door games and banning from Euro competition (after all, they are supposedly representing our country) would be good, but will never happen.

The SFA and SPL bosses are also in a tough spot; Rangers were the main perpetrators but if they are singled out there will be a massive outcry and the whole affair will be used as 'evidence' that they are unfairly treated (not unreminiscent of Celtic's laughable stance earlier this season). That will keep this story prominent for months, which they will certainly not like.

God I wish they would just leave Scottish football and take their backwards, bigoted selves off somewhere else.

Does the behind closed doors thing not happen quite a lot in Italy with their crowd troubles etc? How do they manage with TV coverage/contracts etc?

I think you're right though, it needs a bold move to sort it out and it needs to start on the pitch. There's no need for those sorts of reactions from the players and management staff.

Absolutely, except in the following instance:

Haven't watched this but I'm assuming it was Levein talking out against Mike McCurry? If so, it is a good point.

I think refs need to be transparent in their decisions and it may actually help relations between match officials and opposing teams and supporters. If a ref has a chance to explain a decision this could go an enormous way to explaining things as much of the complaints come from fans not having the appropriate knowledge of the rules.

Governing bodies never stick to punishments. Like that 2 year long transfer embargo placed on Chelsea. No circumstances changed, but it was revoked anyway. The harshest I've ever seen was when Juve got relegated, but they were initially meant to plummet more than one division, and Milan and Fiorentina were meant to go with them. It was changed to just relegated one tier, and Milan and Fiorentina got off with point deductions.

The powers that be need to come down hard on those acting out of line to really set an example, or cunts will continue to be cunts knowing the repercussions will be minimal.

Why isn't Ashley Cole in jail for shooting someone yet?

Also on the Diouf issue the other boards I read that are talking about the old firm issues are suggesting Lennon shouted at Douf at the end of the first half and used the word 'Monkey'.

Whether it's true or not is yet to be seen but if Lennon did racially abuse Diouf then no matter how much of a dick Diouf is Lennon deserves lose his job.

EDIT: This has been coming from the Rangers side though so could be total bullshit. I see they're talking about it on some old firm boards as well.

I call Rangers 'the monkeys' all the time. It is a common derogatory nickname for them a la 'Huns' and has nothing to do with race. It's just a slightly childish but ultimately harmless way of pointing out that they have missed an evolutionary step or two. It has been a common nickname for them for as long as I can remember.

However, I can imagine that if you call a black Rangers player a monkey then you won't get much of a chance to explain the subtle distinction. If Lennon indeed call Diouf a monkey, then it has racist connotations and he should be sacked.

I very much doubt that it happened, though.

Does the behind closed doors thing not happen quite a lot in Italy with their crowd troubles etc? How do they manage with TV coverage/contracts etc?

I think you're right though, it needs a bold move to sort it out and it needs to start on the pitch. There's no need for those sorts of reactions from the players and management staff.

A point I was thinking as well. Closing the doors at the games would push the problems into the pubs and streets with people watching the games on TV. From what I understand, Glasgow ain't much fun on match days as it is. A blackout on the matches would perhaps be the best way around this.

Been looking out for reactions from Celtic and Rangers and these seem to be official statements:

BBC Sport - Football - Neil Lennon defuses touchline spat with Ally McCoist

BBC Sport - Football - Verbal abuse led to tension - Rangers chief Martin Bain

To summarise, Rangers aren't to blame as their players were being called names (probably something like "you big jobby") and how very dare the SFA point the finger at them while Celtic should actually be getting a pat on the back. In fact Motherwell and St Johnstone are the bad boys really.

Been looking out for reactions from Celtic and Rangers and these seem to be official statements:

BBC Sport - Football - Neil Lennon defuses touchline spat with Ally McCoist

BBC Sport - Football - Verbal abuse led to tension - Rangers chief Martin Bain

To summarise, Rangers aren't to blame as their players were being called names (probably something like "you big jobby") and how very dare the SFA point the finger at them while Celtic should actually be getting a pat on the back. In fact Motherwell and St Johnstone are the bad boys really.

...and to top it all off, yesterday Neil Lennon got his 6 match touchline reduced to 4 :swearing:

That is just incredible. Well done SFA, showing your authority yet again.

Meanwhile, SAF has decided to stop talking to MUTV because they showed an interview with him where he said some stupid things about the ref from Tuesday's game that ended up getting him in trouble. What a swell guy!