aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone

Champions Leage play-off draw:

Young Boys (SUI) v Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)

Sporting Braga (POR) v Sevilla (ESP)

Werder Bremen (GER) v Sampdoria (ITA)

Zenit St-Petersburg (RUS) v Auxerre (FRA)

Dynamo Kiev (UKR) Ajax (NED)

Salzburg (AUT) v Hapoel Tel-Aviv (ISR)

Rosenborg (NOR) v Copenhagen (DEN)

Basel (SUI) v FC Sheriff (MDA)

Sparta Prague (CZE) v MSK Zilina (SVK)

Partizan Belgrade (SRB) v Anderlecht (BEL)

We could have had Seville to play to get into the CL proper. But, as established earlier, the CL is a shit tournament, it's all about the Europa League these days...

;)

To be honest, I don't mind. We'll have to do very well to beat any of them, so there's always the hope for a glamour tie (Juventus). I'll just need to wait 'til this afternoon to find out!

That's what I said a couple of years ago with the Dons! Will be a real test of Houston as a tactician but there is a real possibility of going through. Juventus will be easy if you get them, they're still unable to run properly after Fulham fucked their asses last year.

I hope the Scottish teams do well and we see them in the league stages. Will give some extra interest and see what they are made of next to some decent European sides.

They may have been poor over the season but it's still bloody Juve. Apart from the money it'd bring in I'm sure they're still the team United will want to avoid if they hope to progress.

I honestly think they'd have more chance of beating Juventus than Getafe as it stands. Getafe will be written off as underogs because they are not Barca or Real Madrid, and Juventus will be hyped as they are historically the more successful side. Sevilla were written off in the same way last year, as Rangers drew them in the "easy" group, as The clueless Sun would put it. Then they got smashed to bits, home and away.

However, they'd probably get schooled by them both anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Guest Gladstone
They pumped hearts a few years ago. Tough one. :popcorn:

Current United team is a far better team than Hearts have been for quite a few years. No idea if AEK are any good though these days to be honest. Always tricky to go away to places like this though. United are a good team though, so hopefully they can get through.

Guest idol_wild
Is it? I'm not so sure tbh. Hearts had a quality team back then (2005-2007). Better than most in the SPL.

Doesn't quite make it a "quality team" though, does it?

Guest Gladstone

The Young Boys play at Wankdorf? That's brilliant.

When exactly did Hearts play them though? If it was at the start of the 2005-2007 spell you talk of, they were decent, but for at least the past 3 seasons they've been at worst pretty shit, and at best very inconsistent. Hibs, Dundee Utd and Motherwell have all been far better for at least 2 seasons.

I see United as the best team in the SPL outside Rangers and Celtic, and to be honest with a bit more consistency they could challenge for 2nd this season. Can't see both Celtic and Rangers dropping enough points for anyone outside that two to win the league, but definitely think someone could split them this season (and that IMO will most likely be United).

Screw the European crap (though City got some Romanian nobodies - that'll be the new Unirea Uricenzi then...).

The big news of the day is that former Caley Thistle heroes Dennis Wyness, Robert Alexander "The Great" Mann, and Martin Bavidge will return to the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium to help Peterhead gub their former employers. GAME AHN!

Screw the European crap (though City got some Romanian nobodies - that'll be the new Unirea Uricenzi then...).

The big news of the day is that former Caley Thistle heroes Dennis Wyness, Robert Alexander "The Great" Mann, and Martin Bavidge will return to the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium to help Peterhead gub their former employers. GAME AHN!

In the 8 games we've played against you, we've never played at ICT!

Alas I won't make the long midweek trip due to it being a school night n'all that. Saving my midweek night of little sleep for the Scotland game in September :love:

4 days till I head to Sweden 8-)

Guest Gladstone
In the 8 games we've played against you, we've never played at ICT!

Alas I won't make the long midweek trip due to it being a school night n'all that. Saving my midweek night of little sleep for the Scotland game in September :love:

4 days till I head to Sweden 8-)

How good are Sweden these days?

They're normally a decent team, but they obviously weren't at the world cup - who put them out in the qualifying?

My first Scotland match was at Ibrox in probably 1997/98 when John McGinlay scored the only goal of the match against Sweden. Jim Leighton saved about 37 point blank shots in the second half. What a hero. This was in the heady days when we used to qualify for tournaments.

How good are Sweden these days?

They're normally a decent team, but they obviously weren't at the world cup - who put them out in the qualifying?

My first Scotland match was at Ibrox in probably 1997/98 when John McGinlay scored the only goal of the match against Sweden. Jim Leighton saved about 37 point blank shots in the second half. What a hero. This was in the heady days when we used to qualify for tournaments.

Mine was against Faroe Isles at Pittodrie in 1998. 2-1. Colin Hendry gave away a penalty for booting a guy in the face in the box. They converted it. The guy behind me shouted "Fuck off back to Egypt you Faroe cunts!" without a hint of irony. Can't remember who scored our goals.

Guest Gladstone
Mine was against Faroe Isles at Pittodrie in 1998. 2-1. Colin Hendry gave away a penalty for booting a guy in the face in the box. They converted it. The guy behind me shouted "Fuck off back to Egypt you Faroe cunts!" without a hint of irony. Can't remember who scored our goals.

That's a brilliant football shout. I've heard some crackers in my time (none of which I can actually remember at the moment).

The only football shout that I can hear in my head right now was the Dick Donald faithful shouting "Fuck off Luca Toni you cheating greasy Italian cunt". That's not particularly funny.

That's a brilliant football shout. I've heard some crackers in my time (none of which I can actually remember at the moment).

The only football shout that I can hear in my head right now was the Dick Donald faithful shouting "Fuck off Luca Toni you cheating greasy Italian cunt". That's not particularly funny.

Yes. It was especiialy brilliant since it was a European Qualifier, a tournament which I'm pretty sure Egypt don't play in.

Guest Gladstone
Yes. It was especiialy brilliant since it was a European Qualifier, a tournament which I'm pretty sure Egypt don't play in.

When Scotland were about to play Georgia in that Euro qualifier a couple of seasons ago, we were arranging at work where to go and watch it etc.

One of the girls turned to the American girl in our office and asked who she'd be supporting, seeing as she was American and all.

She actually thought Scotland were playing against the state of Georgia in a football match.

Craig Burley after about 20 mins and Billy Dodds on the stroke of half time while there were two balls on the pitch.

My first Scotland fixture was Scotland 1-1 Switzerland on the 8th of September 1993. 90% sure John Collins scored and I had a Mars Bar at half time.Alain Sutter was playing for the Swiss and had long hair so was of course a 'poof'.

I can't believe some people reckon the Hearts team that play AEK were better than the current United team. We may go out, but we're 100% definitely a better side than they were. I even went to the Hearts home leg at Murrayfield with my Jambo mate, and was amazed at a) how poor Hearts were and b) why some of the supposed Hearts fans weren't at Ibrox.

Bah.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned that we're the only British team to beat Barcelona home and away twice in European competitive football. Didn't mention it at all.