aberdeen-music

Want to play up to 800 people?

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

lol, what do you mean by that? playing wise or just plain outthere creativity such as the shutterspeed thing that went on here previously?

No he means creativity as in not being a dullard who would struggle to create a cohesive shite, let alone tune, but can regurgitate the works of creative people endlessly.

Yet again, Vim Fuego said it best; "I could play "Stairway To Heaven" on the guitar when I was 14. Jimmy Page didn't write it until he was 28. I think that says a lot."

Late to the party but I would point out that no matter how technically able and creative a musician is, none of that is going to be on display if they are playing in an ABBA tribute band or such. I'm not too familiar with the band's work but I don't believe they afford any opportunity for an improvised jazz solo, or whatever.

I don't hold the same venom for BOTB and some here, as I think people can take it or leave it for themselves, but asking someone to give their time for free while turning a profit is not right IMO. I think the fact that the only person to have responded with enthusiasm is a 15 year old deluded kid with zero musical ability, is very telling.

Late to the party but I would point out that no matter how technically able and creative a musician is, none of that is going to be on display if they are playing in an ABBA tribute band or such. I'm not too familiar with the band's work but I don't believe they afford any opportunity for an improvised jazz solo, or whatever.

I don't hold the same venom for BOTB and some here, as I think people can take it or leave it for themselves, but asking someone to give their time for free while turning a profit is not right IMO. I think the fact that the only person to have responded with enthusiasm is a 15 year old deluded kid with zero musical ability, is very telling.

There may be scope for a wee bit of spanish improv in Fernando like!

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

I don't really want to go into all this again, but we'd be making no profit from the BOTB itself.

And we've actually had a reasonable amount of responses via email, yet not near as many as I'd envisaged

The whole BOTB thing is pretty iffy really. I mean, in terms of cool points they've always had a null points, hence so many bands stay away.

As for covers bands as a whole, I think questioning the motivations of those that do it is a little unfair. Maybe some people are creatively spent and can't be arsed thinking of anything new. You only have, and generally you're only allowed to have, a few years playing this game. I know some that are in these bands because they've slogged for years doing their own thing for little gain and have nothing left in the pot to give of themselves. Let's face it, tons of bands have the one album (even more only have one song) that is the purest distillation of their craft. After that, they are just treading musical water.

I don't really want to go into all this again, but we'd be making no profit from the BOTB itself.

And we've actually had a reasonable amount of responses via email, yet not near as many as I'd envisaged

I realise that but someone is turning a profit (the bar/venue, no?); secondly you aren't paying the winner for the support slot, which is to what I mainly referred.

Obviously we can't see which bands have expressed an interest but I'd think they'd tend to be in the vein of shutterspeed (although obviously no is quite as special as shutterspeed), as I hinted at. :up:

Give six bands 30 minutes or so each, over four nights or something.

I'd attend that if the entrance fee was sensible.

It'd be a change from the smaller venues anyway.

As a punter I don't mind covers bands or tribute bands. Its all music to the ears at the end of the day.

This kind of Alan Shearer-esque banality tilts me no end, and is the kind of reason that shit like Snow Patrol is popular.

I don't think BotB competitions are intrinsically bad and I say this having been in one in Newcastle with my old band. It was, however, slightly different to this one in that it was organised by the folks running the bar rather than an outside promoter and there were no tickets to be sold because it didn't cost anything to go watch it.

No entry fees for bands either, simply put a demo cd behind the bar before a certain date. There's a panel of 3 judges, well known folks from the local rock scene, to decide which bands got into the competition to start with and then same judges for each round of the competition, crowd reaction was only one of the criteria rather than the be all and end all so there wasn't that pressure to hassle people to turn up or give you money.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
I realise that but someone is turning a profit (the bar/venue, no?); secondly you aren't paying the winner for the support slot, which is to what I mainly referred.

Obviously we can't see which bands have expressed an interest but I'd think they'd tend to be in the vein of shutterspeed (although obviously no is quite as special as shutterspeed), as I hinted at. :up:

The support band will not be expected to play for free, they won't get a percentage of the door I grant you, but they won't be expected to play for nothing.

If you can find me a venue that gives away beer for free, we'll do the gig there :) Otherwise I don't see how we as a promoter can eliminate that issue

Having played various festivals and "800+" gigs over the years, I can state quite categorically that the experience would have been cheapened for me if we had not been playing our own original stuff. Why you would want to play at a festival/"800+" gig and play covers is absolutely beyond me.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Having played various festivals and "800+" gigs over the years, I can state quite categorically that the experience would have been cheapened for me if we had not been playing our own original stuff. Why you would want to play at a festival/"800+" gig and play covers is absolutely beyond me.

Have you ever played covers to over 800 people? Or more to the point, quite a few thousand?

The support band will not be expected to play for free, they won't get a percentage of the door I grant you, but they won't be expected to play for nothing.

If you can find me a venue that gives away beer for free, we'll do the gig there :) Otherwise I don't see how we as a promoter can eliminate that issue

Fair enough if you are paying for the support slot. Having the bands play for free while the venue makes money still isn't the way to go about it IMO, but obviously I'm not running the night and this has been gone over amply already, so I'll shut my trap.

BRAG:I've played our own songs to a packed out Koko. Not really relevant, just sayin'.

FWIW I have actually started to like the ARS chap in this thread. While I fundamentally disagree with his goal and his method, I at least recognise that he isn't trying to exploit bands (which was my initial reaction).