aberdeen-music

Want to play up to 800 people?

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

Sometimes it is the only chance that local bands have to play these things.

So what? It's not the be all and end all is it? I've never played a festival (i don't really count Go North) and i don't feel hard done by or less fulfilled as a musician. If the organisers of a festival asked my band to play i'd probably accept but i wouldn't jump through hoops to get there.

Guest idol_wild
Being in an original band doesn't make you amazingly talented and full of creativity. I'm sure you'd agree there were some gash original bands also?

Who the fuck said that did?

You and Lame Guitarist are jumping to some seriously odd conclusions and reading between the lines a little.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
So what? It's not the be all and end all is it? I've never played a festival (i don't really count Go North) and i don't feel hard done by or less fulfilled as a musician. If the organisers of a festival asked my band to play i'd probably accept but i wouldn't jump through hoops to get there.

I would say that until you have played a festival and enjoyed the buzz of it, you couldn't offer an opinion on it. I would suggest once you have that you probably would regret not having had the chance to do it earlier.

I was waiting for this, pretty much. In fact, I expected it hours ago.

Nobody thinks they're 'above' people who play in cover or tribute bands; I just literally can't understand in any way whatsoever where the musician involved then gets their satisfaction from.

On a public forum, I think you'll find that everyone is entitled to express their opinion. And anyway, can you quote an instance where anyone has "slated" or "slagged off" cover/tribute bands in this thread? People have just expressed their concern for a lack of creativity and originality. Which is a very very valid point to make.

Yeah your opinion is you can't understand why people get satisfaction playing in them. Not every musician can be creative. Maybe they can play well but can't create. The only thing they maybe play is covers as it gives them enjoyment. You have to admit though there are Aberdeen Muso's who slate people cos they ain't in an original band.

I will say as well, there are many "well known" Muso's who play in cover bands and slate other muso's or think they are obove them. Speaking from experience as I have met them all.

I apologise if people take my comments the wrong way but I get very irate at the whole cover / original music thing. I just like playing and yes I enjoy being creative and writing music, however one of the things I am encouraged to do with Berklee is learn other peoples music and styles, such as past blues legends. I enjoy it and its great homework

I don't have a problem with people playing in covers/tribute bands if they want to, but I personally wouldn't go and watch one, let alone play in one. I know there are some great players in them who are lovely people, but I think there is a fundamental difference in the thought or motivation behind them and 'original' bands.

For example this -

Don't slate cover bands unless your a famous artist and I can see that there isn't anyone on this forum that can class themself as that yet. If your music isn't selling and going platinum then you are still to succeed so get your head out of the clouds and take the ego back to earth.

And this -

So you don't think it is a good opportunity for a local band to play to a large audience' date=' musical genre aside? When they are used to playing to like 30 or 40 people in Drummonds or the Tunnels.[/quote']

Both of these appear to be saying that you worth as a musician is based purely on the size of your audience. I don't see it that way. I'd be faaaar happier playing music which I have created myself to a crowd of '30 or 40' appreciative people in the Tunnels, than recreate someone else's music in front of thousands.

It's about what I'm playing, not who I'm playing it to.

• Upvote 1

Nobody thinks they're 'above' people who play in cover or tribute bands; I just literally can't understand in any way whatsoever where the musician involved then gets their satisfaction from.

On a public forum, I think you'll find that everyone is entitled to express their opinion. And anyway, can you quote an instance where anyone has "slated" or "slagged off" cover/tribute bands in this thread? People have just expressed their concern for a lack of creativity and originality. Which is a very very valid point to make.

Is the bit I've highlighted not really the crux?

You may not understand it but I assume that those people who play in tribute bands must derive some satisfaction from it otherwise they wouldn't do it?

I don't play in a tribute band/cover band nor do I have any desire to be in one.

But if the people involved in them enjoy it then fair play to them.

A lot of guys I know who are involved in tribute acts/cover bands are actively involved in original music and original bands anyway. Whilst there is evidently a lack of creativity or originality in such an act it doesn't mean that the constituent members are lacking these qualities.

Anyways, this thread has now gone way off topic.

For what its worth I don't really agree with the whole BOTB concept unless it can be judged fairly which is, frankly, an impossible task because whichever way you look to judge it there will always be the possibility of manipulation.

I think ARS's intentions are innocent enough - it may just be that the methodology of getting there may be a little flawed.

I would say that until you have played a festival and enjoyed the buzz of it, you couldn't offer an opinion on it. I would suggest once you have that you probably would regret not having had the chance to do it earlier.

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me. I've played in front of 10 people, i've also played in front of 200+ people. I don't give a shit about the "buzz" i would get playing at a festival as for me it's the same buzz regardless of situation or crowd numbers. I just like playing live.

I don't have a problem with people playing in covers/tribute bands if they want to, but I personally wouldn't go and watch one, let alone play in one. I know there are some great players in them who are lovely people, but I think there is a fundamental difference in the thought or motivation behind them and 'original' bands.

For example this -

And this -

Both of these appear to be saying that you worth as a musician is based purely on the size of your audience. I don't see it that way. I'd be faaaar happier playing music which I have created myself to a crowd of '30 or 40' appreciative people in the Tunnels, than recreate someone else's music in front of thousands.

:up::up:

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

For example this -

And this -

Frosty has made a really good point here, but I'm the exact opposite, having worked my ass off to get tight and gig ready, it would absolutey destroy me to be playing to 30 or 40 people. But guess thats why everyone is different.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Why? It doesn't make any difference to me. I've played in front of 10 people, i've also played in front of 200+ people. I don't give a shit about the "buzz" i would get playing at a festival as for me it's the same buzz regardless of situation or crowd numbers. I just like playing live.

As long as your happy, thats all that matters :)

I don't think 'ability' means much as regards creativity.....nor do record sales.

I agree there are gash original bands.....but I'd rather see/hear them than a cover/tribute band doing someone else's stuff.

If it was a covers band covering a "live" act, so to speak, then no. If it was a band covering stuff from an act that no longer exists and the music in a live sense no longer exists (ie, The Musical Box who I've seen several times and enjoyed), then I probably would.

That said, I despise Beatles covers bands.

I can't help but belittle tribute bands, as they get on my tits.

Sorry :(

*Makes mental note to start Kitchen Cynics tribute act.

I played the ill-fated Keith Chaos "festival". Oh, and Wizard, but we were competeing with the Macdonald Brothers. :down:

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
I think that's the very much idol_wild's point. If you were to approach a band (say for something like the ABDC gig, you'd support a classic rock style act) and say,

"Hey, I really like your set and I think the crowd at this upcoming gig would too... do you fancy playing it? We can't really pay you but we'll sort everything out for you at the night and it'll give you some exposure"

I'm pretty sure the band would possibly and probably say yes. My band (back in the day) supported a well established Clash tribute band once and to be fair, the crowd were really good and they enjoyed our stuff. But then, our sound at the time suited the line-up.

What the problem is with what you're suggesting is that you'd select the band based on their ability to 'rent a crowd'. If the event is set to be busy/sold out anyway, I dare say you can pick a band based on how much you like them and how they suit the line-up... Chances are, by approaching a band, you'll get one that suits the sound of the night and will undoubtedly be of a higher quality thus, making your existing punters happier campers.

I totally agree with this, and after hearing everything on here over the last few days, depending how things go, this may end up being the route we take lol

But our whole idea, or vision was to offer something a little different for local bands, obviously that was the wrong thing to do :(

As long as your happy, thats all that matters :)

Totally. I would also point out that most unknown bands hardly get 100s of people to see them at festivals. They may get a wee bit more than they'd normally get at Drummonds etc but it's hardly like they're captivating a Radiohead-sized audience. Obviously there are some exceptions out there but it's most certainly not the norm.

There's a lot to be said for hard work and perseverance.

lol, what do you mean by that? playing wise or just plain outthere creativity such as the shutterspeed thing that went on here previously?

I actually like Shutterspeed doing 'Doberman' etc. Their own songs, admittedly within a certain genre. If they became a Nirvana tribute band I'd be disappointed, even if they became superb musicians, and were invited to play Nirvanafests in the USA/Japan etc for massive amounts of dosh and in front of crowds of millions.

I'd like them even more if, as they develop, they move into all sorts of genres, before finding their own originality.

If they found that playing in a tribute band sharpened their skills in a way that helped their Shutterspeed stuff then I'd have to concede that would be good....but I'd still enjoy slagging off the tribute band.

Check below, since you gave me negative rep for it

Originally Posted by Alan Cynic viewpost.gif

Money/Creativity argument again.

I can slate covers/tribute bands if I want......they're crap....'musos' gravitate towards them because they can't think outside the box.

Sweeping generalisation over.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Totally. I would also point out that most unknown bands hardly get 100s of people to see them at festivals. They may get a wee bit more than they'd normally get at Drummonds etc but it's hardly like they're captivating a Radiohead-sized audience. Obviously there are some exceptions out there but it's most certainly not the norm.

There's a lot to be said for hard work and perseverance.

I fully agree

I actually like Shutterspeed doing 'Doberman' etc. Their own songs, admittedly within a certain genre. If they became a Nirvana tribute band I'd be disappointed, even if they became superb musicians, and were invited to play Nirvanafests in the USA/Japan etc for massive amounts of dosh and in front of crowds of millions.

I'd like them even more if, as they develop, they move into all sorts of genres, before finding their own originality.

If they found that playing in a tribute band sharpened their skills in a way that helped their Shutterspeed stuff then I'd have to conced that would be good....but I'd still enjoy slagging off the tribute band.

ps, in no way was I slating shutterspeed. I think its great that a bunch of young guys are creating their own music and playing it at gigs. I do disagree with a lot of the slating they got on here tho

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Hardly. Don't get me wrong, playing a festival is great but playing a gig under that level of pressure is also a bit shit. The thing that made me love my festival experience is that we got to play it based on how we sounded, not on our ability to 'rent a crowd'. You're very much on your own at a proper festival anyway... you can't really 'round up your mates' for support, so the whole "battle" thing to get there in the first place is just a steaming pile of turd preparing you for a very harsh reality check.

Ha Ha, well all the festivals I've played have been to full tents with (I'm scared to say it) Tribute bands, so I could comment on your experiences Lester

I have played TiTP twice, RockNess, Belladrum twice, The Great Escape three times, Wizard and probably more that I've forgotten. I can safely say that the rewarding aspect comes from the fact that my band, into whose music I put all my effort and focus, were relatively popular and respected. That meant, and continues to mean, a whole lot to me. I loved playing our songs to people who wanted to hear them, rather than playing other peoples' songs to a crowd who wanted to hear the hits.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the point has been made and received. Some people who have poasted in this thread are worthy musicians and voices of reason, and I seriously suggest that you dinghy the BotB idea.

I'm sorry that my previous poast was rather hyperbolic. I just really take issue with the suggestion that this was supposed to be a good opportunity for local bands.