aberdeen-music

Want to play up to 800 people?

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

Guest idol_wild
lol, what do you mean by that? playing wise or just plain outthere creativity such as the shutterspeed thing that went on here previously?

Basically, he prefers musical creativity and innovation over sheer technical prowess.

Nobody doubts for a second the technical ability of anyone in tribute/cover bands (indeed, I'd suggest that the vast majority of people in these types of bands have considerably more technical ability than myself); it's just that some people would prefer to see a musician properly express themselves to their own music, regardless of technical ability.

Talent > technical ability. And yes, the two are very different.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Nyah back on the topic of this thread, What would be the dates......?

We'll need to confirm dates once we have all the bands in place. Looking at starting June time, if things go ahead.

Guest idol_wild
Check below, since you gave me negative rep for it

Originally Posted by Alan Cynic viewpost.gif

Money/Creativity argument again.

I can slate covers/tribute bands if I want......they're crap....'musos' gravitate towards them because they can't think outside the box.

Sweeping generalisation over.

Sorry, I have Alan Cynic on block. Can't stand that cunt.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
This is the kind of convo that needs to take place down the pub! most posts here get taken the wrong way and out of context! :D

Ha Ha Massie, check you skimming away with your tail between your legs cause your got burnt lol. You've been spending too much time round Al :)

Basically, he prefers musical creativity and innovation over sheer technical prowess.

Nobody doubts for a second the technical ability of anyone in tribute/cover bands (indeed, I'd suggest that the vast majority of people in these types of bands have considerably more technical ability than myself); it's just that some people would prefer to see a musician properly express themselves to their own music, regardless of technical ability.

Talent > technical ability. And yes, the two are very different.

completely agree, however as I said before I was always encouraged and still am to learn other peoples stuff. Clearly helps with improvising and learning the fundamentals (chords/scales/melody/ear training and so on)

I think of nothing better to sharpen my knowledge than improvising and learning other peoples tunes. I take parts of other styles and try to make my own out of them without copying that style, and it also helps with my creativity. When I hear something I really like it inspires me to write something (not copy it though)

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Argh would you be providing any basic gear ?

Preferable a Drum Kit....We can cover guitar amp and hopefully a bass amp by then

Yeh we'll provide all back line. With turnovers being an issue we'd probably ask bands to take as little gear as possible

I remember seeing something similar that happened a good few years back in the Evening Express, wasn't it Lady Mercedes and another band scrapping or something at a battle of the bands?

Aye, Yates' Wine Lodge, circa. '02

I was a judge that night and was quoted the next day on the front page of the P&J as saying "it was like something out of a Western". Took me years to live that down.

I don't have a problem with people playing in covers/tribute bands if they want to, but I personally wouldn't go and watch one, let alone play in one. I know there are some great players in them who are lovely people, but I think there is a fundamental difference in the thought or motivation behind them and 'original' bands.

Both of these appear to be saying that you worth as a musician is based purely on the size of your audience. I don't see it that way. I'd be faaaar happier playing music which I have created myself to a crowd of '30 or 40' appreciative people in the Tunnels, than recreate someone else's music in front of thousands.

It's about what I'm playing, not who I'm playing it to.

your in the Lorelei Frosty so you don't count! I heard you guys get M&M's with the brown ones picked out in the dressing rooms

haha quality, what actually happened like? did the bands just hate each other?

My memory is hazy and I was also hiding behind speakers for some of the ruckus.

I think there was some disgruntlement on the part of some of the losers and their fans, a punch was thrown and it escalated from there. Broken bones and all sorts. The winning band, Brechin's The Storm Petrels, weren't even involved in the scrapping. I'm sure Delboy on here was a judge that night too.