aberdeen-music

Want to play up to 800 people?

Guest A.R.S. Promotions

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
I think we can agree on that one...

By the way Scott - You're still banned. I'm going to take an executive decision and allow the 'ARS Promotions' login to stand for now, mainly for the sake of this discussion which I believe is raising some interesting points. But this is not an opportunity for you personally to return to these boards.

Frosty, it's actually Adrian on this occassion. I do actually realise Tunk is banned, but you have my guarantee that he will not post anything on here that is not approved from me first. With this in mind, I hope you will allow the account for ARS to stand

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Is this a wind up?

Ha Ha, bad example, but no not a wind up. I think it's a fair argument. The musicians who tour theatres with these bands can hardly be classed as cheap, or can the prices to see it be

Guest idol_wild
Or could it be that you have a particular stereotype and opinion of cover bands and thats totally clouded your judgement in this case? I'm not arguing with you, I see your point, I just think you have tunnel vision on this

So you think for example ABBA Gold or such tribute acts are cheap entertainment, and lack creativity? These type of gigs attract the top musicians in the country, so I think the likes of Dave Innes, or Paul Robinson may have something to say about this, as they have toured with these types of bands for years. Or, are these not talented or creative musicians either?

I don't think stereotype can be brought into this. I have seen several tribute and cover bands over the years and I disliked the whole idea of every single aspect. I have experienced it and hated it. I want people putting their heart and soul into their music - not music someone else wrote absolutely fucking years ago.

I know there is a place on the market for tribute and cover bands, but I think you are touching VERY little of it by posting in these forums.

Oh, and I have no idea who Dave Innes or Paul Robinson actually are, but I'm sure they are both creative and miraculously talented people.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
I don't think stereotype can be brought into this. I have seen several tribute and cover bands over the years and I disliked the whole idea of every single aspect. I have experienced it and hated it. I want people putting their heart and soul into their music - not music someone else wrote absolutely fucking years ago.

I know there is a place on the market for tribute and cover bands, but I think you are touching VERY little of it by posting in these forums.

Oh, and I have no idea who Dave Innes or Paul Robinson actually are, but I'm sure they are both creative and miraculously talented people.

Again I totally respect your opinion, as it's your opinion, although I don't agree with it!

I play in all sorts of bands, covers and originals, howvever I can assure you that I put the same amount of effort and pride into everything I do musically. Promotion shall be no different.

I also think it's unfair to say those involved with solely cover music wouldn't put heart and sole into it

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
They are talented, but seem to be avoiding creativity, preferring instead to pursue money.

Dave Innes is now playing with The Electric band, and they are awesome. And he is certainly creative within it, the band and it's ideas are amazing

And Paul Robinson plays with the James Taylor Quartet, again totally creative!

ARS-you can't have it both ways. If you are interested in helping out good local bands, then quit with the BOTB bullshit. Find good local acts yourself and offer them suitable shows.

If you're interested in lining your own pockets,keep on with the tribute acts and BOTB bullshit. But don't kid yourself on that people on this board are stupid enough to think that you're offering them a good opportunity. You can't have it both ways; decide what your intention is and be true to it.

Good luck with the next Degameth gig or whatever you've got in store. And stop insulting us with your 'great opportunities'.

I think we can probably all agree that BOB competitions are rubbish. They don't work, they are corrupt at most levels and they suck integrity out of music performance and enjoyment. But this thread is just going round and round.

I don't have a problem with covers bands in terms of musicality and as the point of them is clearly just entertainment rather than creativity i find it ridiculous that some people don't see that and feel it necessary to belittle other peoples involvement in them. Surely this is one of those situations where saying less is better.

As music isn't a competition and the reasons behind enjoyment of music vary from person to person i'm quite happy to live and let live.

• Upvote 1

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
ARS-you can't have it both ways. If you are interested in helping out good local bands, then quit with the BOTB bullshit. Find good local acts yourself and offer them suitable shows.

If you're interested in lining your own pockets,keep on with the tribute acts and BOTB bullshit. But don't kid yourself on that people on this board are stupid enough to think that you're offering them a good opportunity. You can't have it both ways; decide what your intention is and be true to it.

Good luck with the next Degameth gig or whatever you've got in store. And stop insulting us with your 'great opportunities'.

Christy, for God sake! How has this post turned into "Insulting", I have made no attempt to insult anyone, at all!

So you don't think it is a good opportunity for a local band to play to a large audience, musical genre aside? When they are used to playing to like 30 or 40 people in Drummonds or the Tunnels.

Or is the wording the problem? Would I be better phrasing it, "want better and different exposure than you are getting at the moment"?

Guest idol_wild
We will not be paying the bands to enter no
Yeh we intend to make some profit from it, would you expect us to do all the work necessary to make our our gigs succesful, and not make a penny?
Would seem many people are invloved with Music for the wrong reasons

Yeah, too true, mate. Too true.

I also think it's unfair to say those involved with solely cover music wouldn't put heart and sole into it

I never said, or even suggested, that they wouldn't...go back and re-read, please.

Speaking on behalf of Adrian as one of the guys who played in ABDC. He is very legit and not out to rip people off. He spent so much on hiring a sound company and lighting to make a great night happen without thinking it was going to hurt "profits"

As for the whole cover / tribute / original debate, its a pile of shit. People can play whatever they want, whether its a cover or original band. Just because you don't like it then fine, don't force your opinion on other people and slate them for what they do.

I played in cover bands and tribute and it was never for the cash. It was because I enjoyed it. I am playing in an original band now creating music I love but still like to play the odd cover tune and get great satisfaction from it. Don't slate cover bands unless your a famous artist and I can see that there isn't anyone on this forum that can class themself as that yet. If your music isn't selling and going platinum then you are still to succeed so get your head out of the clouds and take the ego back to earth.

I am very fortunate to study with Berklee and hope to become a session player from it, being a session player means I will be playing other artists material, will I still be in the same bracket as a cover musician then??

If I was playing in Aberdeen I wouldn't give a toss if I was supporting a cover band. I would just concentrate on making the gig a blast and playing my best. Too many "Aberdeen" Muso's have an ego and think they are above everyone in cover bands when in reality they are just Musicians in Aberdeen

Rant fkn over

• Upvote 1

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
There's loads of creativity involved in a tribute band. Unfortunately, all that creativity is put into coming up with the name. there are some doozies.

I agree with Alkaline on this. BOBs are crap (unless a clapometer is involved).

If you had read all the posts (maybe you have, in which case I apologise), you would have realised that a applause meter is being used, the winner will be decided solely on the reaction of the crowd.

I respect everyones opinions on this, but would also like to say in 24 hours we've had 12 bands show an interest.

There's loads of creativity involved in a tribute band. Unfortunately, all that creativity is put into coming up with the name. there are some doozies.

I agree with Alkaline on this. BOBs are crap (unless a clapometer is involved).

With all due respect, no-one on here says the same with the battle of the bands for the wizard festival!!

No band, unless signed and on the main stage gets paid for it

With all due respect, no-one on here says the same with the battle of the bands for the wizard festival!!

No band, unless signed and on the main stage gets paid for it

I do, BOBs are shite regardless of the "rewards". It's the same as T-Break etc i'd rather get to play a festival on my bands merits rather than through a BOB. The "judging" at these things is ridiculous.

Guest A.R.S. Promotions
Money/Creativity argument again.

I can slate covers/tribute bands if I want......they're crap....'musos' gravitate towards them because they can't think outside the box.

Sweeping generalisation over.

Being in an original band doesn't make you amazingly talented and full of creativity. I'm sure you'd agree there were some gash original bands also?

Guest idol_wild
Speaking on behalf of Adrian as one of the guys who played in ABDC. He is very legit and not out to rip people off. He spent so much on hiring a sound company and lighting to make a great night happen without thinking it was going to hurt "profits"

As for the whole cover / tribute / original debate, its a pile of shit. People can play whatever they want, whether its a cover or original band. Just because you don't like it then fine, don't force your opinion on other people and slate them for what they do.

I played in cover bands and tribute and it was never for the cash. It was because I enjoyed it. I am playing in an original band now creating music I love but still like to play the odd cover tune and get great satisfaction from it. Don't slate cover bands unless your a famous artist and I can see that there isn't anyone on this forum that can class themself as that yet. If your music isn't selling and going platinum then you are still to succeed so get your head out of the clouds and take the ego back to earth.

I am very fortunate to study with Berklee and hope to become a session player from it, being a session player means I will be playing other artists material, will I still be in the same bracket as a cover musician then??

If I was playing in Aberdeen I wouldn't give a toss if I was supporting a cover band. I would just concentrate on making the gig a blast and playing my best. Too many "Aberdeen" Muso's have an ego and think they are above everyone in cover bands when in reality they are just Musicians in Aberdeen

Rant fkn over

I was waiting for this, pretty much. In fact, I expected it hours ago.

Nobody thinks they're 'above' people who play in cover or tribute bands; I just literally can't understand in any way whatsoever where the musician involved then gets their satisfaction from.

On a public forum, I think you'll find that everyone is entitled to express their opinion. And anyway, can you quote an instance where anyone has "slated" or "slagged off" cover/tribute bands in this thread? People have just expressed their concern for a lack of creativity and originality. Which is a very very valid point to make.