aberdeen-music

MOSHULU is changing...

Bring back the Zuu! :laughing:

I went to see Greigsy DJing there once in about 1998. He was a cunt even way back then. The DJ booth at the time was opposite the bar, near where the tables are now in that dark corner. The magic of it was though that on a Sunday night you paid a tenner to get in and all the drink was free! :rockon:

Is there any hip hop clubs in town? Even a hip hop night? That would be ace. I would buy a gun, and a dollar sign necklace, and I'd practically never stop grabbing my junk.

Upstairs in Esionage has a hip hop night every Friday and Saturday, and I think Tiger Tiger does on a Monday.

I play quite a lot of hip-hop on a Friday in the backroom already yo!

(Keep it old-skool though...)

You played me some Snoop Dogg a few weeks ago. Or at least I asked you to. Whether you did or not I can't remember.

Is there any hip hop clubs in town? Even a hip hop night? That would be ace. I would buy a gun, and a dollar sign necklace, and I'd practically never stop grabbing my junk.

Top floor in Espionage used to be pretty interesting, I went up one night and me and my mate were the only 2 white guys there. And it was pretty busy. No idea if that would still be the case.

It's always busy as fuck, and it's almost all black guys, and usually a handful of Asian folk. Occasionally a couple of white chicks will trickle up from upstairs looking to get some black cock, but they aren't usually there for more than 10 minutes before they're off getting plugged up an alleyway somewhere. I used to hang about up there sometimes (not looking for black cock might I add, I liked the music and I was pals with one of the aforementioned handful of Asian folk).

This is what was in the paper today:

A popular Aberdeen nightclub will close for six weeks for refurbishments before reopening under a new name.

Moshulu, on Windmill Brae, will shut on Monday for a renovation that will cost around 250,000.

When the venue reopens on September 12 it will be called Warehouse, a name chosen by new owners, the nightclub chain Mean Fiddler, which bought the premises from RFR Promotions earlier this year.

New flooring, seating, bars and lighting will all be installed.

David Lang, Mean Fiddler group operations manager, said: The idea is to renovate what is a fantastic space, but has become a bit run down and dingy. We will rip out the dingy carpets and toilets and get everything up to the modern standard that customers expect.

The revamped club will play a range of dance, rock, pop and rap.

Espionage top floor full of lanky black fellers every night, the dungeon of priory is full of gorgeous black seductresses and dwarf black fellers hosted by Aberdeen's Number 1 hustler - DJ Kojo, Tiger tiger

unfortunately id rather listen to Bhangra and punjabi music than hiphop/dance or pop and there aint much of that

My Funeral For A Friend tickets are Mean Fiddler and they look like rubbish fake tickets... not that that matters.

On another note... even if the name changes, it'll always still be Moshulu! I'm intrigued by the changes that will be made. Looking forward to seeing it in September.

Moshulu/Warehouse is owned by MAMA Group, which is the big corporation which owns Barfly/Mean Fiddler/Supervision Management (manages bands like Franz) etc etc. Moshulu started as a Barfly but was moved to the Mean Fiddler group of venues, as it was alot bigger than the other barflys. As far as i understand it will be soon operating as a joint venture between MAMA and HMV like the HMV Apollo in London and the HMV PictureHouse in Edinburgh, not MF or Barfly.

Although the fact that I was an employee/night manager there for almost 5 years through all the shake up and still don't really know exactly who runs the venue sums up working for the place beautifully.

Anyway yeah hope that clears up the ownership question a little.

Oh.. and I think they're changing the name as if you ask anyone in these parts about Moshulu you'll get stories of sticky carpets, leaky toilets and "miserable goffs", i'd imagine they'd be trying to loose that image.

i thought it was a carpet factory or warehouse, hence the name?

Ah wells, a club is only has good as the music and the people who go there. I've always enjoyed the slightly dingy side of Moshulu, I just hope that when it reopens that people go back. 6 weeks is plenty of time for the regulars to find a new haunt, most likely Korova.

Also, I remember hearing a few years back that Aberdeen Uni (and possibly RGU too) nominate a club to be the unoffical union, seeing as there isn't one. Liquid has always been a favourite (for some unfathomable reason) but I heard The Tunnels was nominated as the 'alternative' venue. If Moshulu/Warehouse/whatever can catch that gravy train in time for freshers week, that could work out nicely.

Also, I remember hearing a few years back that Aberdeen Uni (and possibly RGU too) nominate a club to be the unoffical union, seeing as there isn't one. Liquid has always been a favourite (for some unfathomable reason) but I heard The Tunnels was nominated as the 'alternative' venue. If Moshulu/Warehouse/whatever can catch that gravy train in time for freshers week, that could work out nicely.

I think chicago rock/jumpin jacks has it this year

i believe the building was originally used as a warehouse for cattle and bananas.

Liquid used to be an indoor circus and its still full of clowns

I think either liquid or moshulu was a banana ripening warehouse