aberdeen-music

MOSHULU is changing...

i thought it was a carpet factory or warehouse, hence the name?

Ah wells, a club is only has good as the music and the people who go there. I've always enjoyed the slightly dingy side of Moshulu, I just hope that when it reopens that people go back. 6 weeks is plenty of time for the regulars to find a new haunt, most likely Korova.

Also, I remember hearing a few years back that Aberdeen Uni (and possibly RGU too) nominate a club to be the unoffical union, seeing as there isn't one. Liquid has always been a favourite (for some unfathomable reason) but I heard The Tunnels was nominated as the 'alternative' venue. If Moshulu/Warehouse/whatever can catch that gravy train in time for freshers week, that could work out nicely.

I already prefer Korova. Better music, better clientele in my experience (Moshulu was always full of posers and wannabe metalheads in slipknot t shrts when I went there) and cheaper drinks too.

As for the Aberdeen Uni fresher's partner this place has it... I have never heard of it before though although I never venture that far down Union Street :p

The Shack & Capitol Night Club Aberdeen

I wouldnt stress out too much about the rap comment - having been thee when David Laing got phoned by evening express - he didnt say Rap - he did say, indie / rock and more commercial music. I wouldnt expect Icey Icey T or Scoopy Scoopy Dogg Dogg (as father ted puts it) to be busting rhymes out anytime soon. (We have just booked Goldie Lookin Chain though, so thats kinda hip hop - but with dick jokes.). And i wouldnt expect no metal / rock as for a start we have FFAFriend and Gallows booked (plus a couple others that i cant say for now!).

The key to the venue being successful is to make it non genre specific - as in - you dont assume / associate it with one style of music / crowd or clientele. You cant rely on one crowd to come out four times a week to keep you in buisness and it currently (despite a fair change in music policy) is still thought of as a dingy / dark- metal and rock club. The state of the interior and general decor (combined with common preconceptions) dont do anything to dispel this so they are doing something about it - which is quite exciting.

Its a big space which has a lot of great potential to be awesome, finally the mama guys are taking some time and money to put some attention to it and turn it into a great clean shiny and new venue. Keeping all of the good aspects of before and getting rid of all of the bad points. From what they have said theyre going to do it sounds like a marked and drastic improvement - but work starts next week so its very early to comment on what itll look like / be like.

At the end of the day it needs to be a desirable place to play for bands, promoters / agents should want to put their bands there and people should want to go there to have a night out - and the state of the place is a major turn off.

Band wise - it does pretty well with the level of acts moshulu gets and it can do better when in a nicer state - so thats quite exciting.

And personally im excited about DJing on a Saturday night in a brand spanking new club too - when we first started AIS @ Moshulu it was rammed with 500 plus and it was amazing. Id have to admit to being a bit jaded by the place over time and dealing with various things (rass will concur) but i think the refurb is pretty exciting and itll be drastically different to the last "refurb" which was really just a carpet and a lick of paint.

Im happy to say the toilets are the first to go - monday morning - gone - thank the lord.

I think people want genre-specific clubs though (I could be wrong) and although 'more commericial music' might not mean Liquid/Pearl Lounge style, it's probably not want people necessarily want to hear.

Perhaps the demand is no longer there... and the people who would have frequented Moshulu four times a week have got older, have additional responsibilities and are no longer students and the new kids on the block just aren't interested because they have Korova!

Anyway, I will be checking the shiny new venue (with whatever name it has) out in September and October, so I'll pass proper judgement then!!

Yeah, i think thats a valid point about the people not being out as much anymore, my pals rarely go out more than twice a week and thats only twice if theres something special on on one of the nights.

When i was a bit younger id go to exodus FAR too much - like three times a week - i couldnt do that now. Apart from having too much on, not as much money - its physically impossible! ha

I think when they say more commercial they dont mean lady gaga or sugababes - just in the way that exodus or abc in glasgow play the hits on a saturday - itll just be efforts to make the venue and music policy as open / accessible to as many as possible - without relying on one crowd.

Yeah, i think thats a valid point about the people not being out as much anymore, my pals rarely go out more than twice a week and thats only twice if theres something special on on one of the nights.

When i was a bit younger id go to exodus FAR too much - like three times a week - i couldnt do that now. Apart from having too much on, not as much money - its physically impossible! ha

I think when they say more commercial they dont mean lady gaga or sugababes - just in the way that exodus or abc in glasgow play the hits on a saturday - itll just be efforts to make the venue and music policy as open / accessible to as many as possible - without relying on one crowd.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with that for sure!! We used to be in Exodus about 3 times a week whilst students, and depending on weekend work, Moshulu on a Friday.

I think it'll upset the applecart for those who don't want it to change, apart from changing the toilets and getting rid of the carpet.

I can't speak for Exodus anymore, but ABC is really busy and successful on a Saturday and is a pretty good night. It'll just be a different night out for people and will add some variety.

Exodus was my favourite nightclub for years, I've got some great memories from being in there. I went in last year after a 3 year absence and it's not the same, it's still good, but not the same, and the queue to get in is ridiculous.

Best memory - Having a Wayne's World-esque "Dreamweaver" moment with a redheaded girl who I'd never seen before and never saw again.

Worst memory - an old man pissing down my leg in the toilets.

Since the thread is about Moshulu let's have a "best memory / worst memory" of Moshulu before it all gets changed.....

Best - being in the back room with Kai on one of our many Friday nights in there back in 02/03, he bought me a sambuca knowing fine well that even the smell of it makes me vomit. I downed it and instantly puked on the floor in front of the bar. A bouncer grabbed me and threw me out the side door. I just ran round to the front door and paid in again and continued where I'd left off :laughing:

Worst - pulling a girl so fat that I honestly couldn't make my hands touch at the back when I had my arms around her. :laughing: she ended up puking all over my duvet and I didn't even get laid.

Best: All the nights in 2003 when I was skint and would just get a cheap bottle of wine in the flat then head down to moshulu for a couple of pints and spend most of the night on the dancefloor killing myself. The closest Moshulu ever came to being as good as the Palace.

Worst: Probably the Idlewild / Twilight Sad gig. Can't remember the carpets ever being stickier and I was hopelessly hungover from the night before. Couldn't talk to anyone due to the hangover and couldn't move due the carpets. The bands were good though.

Worst - pulling a girl so fat that I honestly couldn't make my hands touch at the back when I had my arms around her. :laughing: she ended up puking all over my duvet and I didn't even get laid.

Why admit to that, and would you even have wanted to shag her after she puked on your duvet?

Why admit to that, and would you even have wanted to shag her after she puked on your duvet?

I didn't even really want to shag her before she puked on my duvet, but sex drought + alcohol + nightclub closing in ten minutes can do strange things to a man. But yeah, the puking was the dealbreaker. I suppose it was a blessing in many ways. Fat girls don't always take the hint when you try to chuck them.

Worst: First gig we played there, supporting some band I've never heard of since (The Harrisons?) - maybe 12 people turned up, despite our shameless flyering/gate crashing session at Woolmanhill the night before. :down:

Best: Walking down the stairs when some blonde lassie came tumbling down arse over tit behind me and nearly sent me flying. We live together now :up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Is there any hip hop clubs in town? Even a hip hop night? That would be ace. I would buy a gun, and a dollar sign necklace, and I'd practically never stop grabbing my junk.

No hip hop clubs in town and no hip hop nights either. Some people say that Espionage plays hip hop...yeah if you count Lil Wayne songs - probably the same people that reel off complaints about their idea of their precious rock club playing rap, despite the fact that as Johnny says, it's not uncommon (or certainly never was when I saw him DJing) for him to play a fair bit of tasteful hip hoppy stuff.

Kool Thwax' nights were supposed to be fairly chilled out hip hop nights earlier on at the smaller clubs/bars. When they were busy, they were awesome, but when they were quiet it was less fun. My DJing partner Shaun eventually got bored of the 80s/party/rap stuff and started playing more modern and harder stuff. So we stopped doing it so much, he now does his own nights as part of Bones 'n' Money and now I do a bit of low key DJing about twice a year, mostly cringing during my entire 'set' at how rubbish my skills have become.

I'd imagine at the very least that we'll do Hollaween II in October though.

Hahahaha did she hide stuff in her skin folds? Alcohol has a lot to answer for

Alcohol has made a fool of us all at some point. If anyone on this forum can put their hand on their heart and say they've never woken up next to someone and gone "Oh. Fuck." they are either a liar or a virgin.

By 'flat' do you mean 'fridge'?

:up: mega lol. Rep + for your good self.

Best: Being able to dance like a mong to something I didn't recognise and being able to switch between there and Drum multiple times of a night whilst still not recognising a single tune. Hearing horror stories about Drum and knowing they were complete bull, most I got were the simple comments like 'your brave' 'sweet jacket man'

Worst: Pulling some bird for most of the night, meeting up with her sister and friends later and recognising her as my cousin - didn't even think about it as the one I was pulling was 16 o_O