aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Robbie Keane was apparently a Liverpool man 18 months ago.

Just sayin'...

Boys from Eire tend to support Celtic and one English team with Irish links, particularly Liverpool and Manchester United. Or so I'm told. So it's fairly normal for him to be both a Liverpool and Celtic man.

Either way, it's a fantastic signing.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

He's signed! Fucking yas!

MacLean and Paterson will be decent additions to the Dons. A little confused at letting Bebo go out on loan when we are short of strikers though, three out and one in during the transfer window only leaves us with Mackie, Paton and MacLean as our recognised forwards. Maybe an opportunity to use Aluko in a more advanced position with Paterson coming into the midfield though.

MacLean and Paterson will be decent additions to the Dons. A little confused at letting Bebo go out on loan when we are short of strikers though, three out and one in during the transfer window only leaves us with Mackie, Paton and MacLean as our recognised forwards. Maybe an opportunity to use Aluko in a more advanced position with Paterson coming into the midfield though.

I'm guessing with the squad now full of left and right sided attacking midfielders that the 3 strikers will be vying for one slot in the centre, which will almost certainly go to MacLean most days. Mackie, Paton, Aluko or Pawlett either side of that central striker out on the wings in McGhee's often stated favourite 4-3-3 formation.

I reckon Keane will be as successful as Bellamy was but with a little more desire.

Huge expectations, as much as it'd be nice for someone to challenge rangers I wouldn't mind if he failed miserably, just as a way to show that the scottish game ain't as easy as they all think in england, just ask Flo. Even though i concede there may be a difference between defences he'd usually be up against with Evra, Vidic, Terry, Cole, etc and now the mighty Weir, Wilkie, McManus, Diamond, etc.

I'm guessing with the squad now full of left and right sided attacking midfielders that the 3 strikers will be vying for one slot in the centre, which will almost certainly go to MacLean most days. Mackie, Paton, Aluko or Pawlett either side of that central striker out on the wings in McGhee's often stated favourite 4-3-3 formation.

Aye, that's what I'm assuming. Haven't seen much of MacLean but hoping he is the sort of player to put in a shift as that will enable him to fit into that system a bit better and play as the lone striker through the middle with wide players either side of him. I liked Lee Miller but he didn't have the pace or workrate to play at the top of a 4-3-3 and always suited playing alongisde a second forward.

Still, could be a bit of a concern if we get a couple of injuries to the front players.

it's make more sense to play a conventional 4-4-2, with mulgrew being pushed up into midfield and paterson slotting in behind him. obvious advantage here is that grassi is dropped to the bench and mulgrew has the ability to get forward more. stick pawlett on the right channel when he's fit and have kerr and fyvie/macdonald in the middle. maclean and aluko up front, allowing sone to be more of a danger through the middle than outwide.

however, this only works if all players are fit and mulgrew has been performing well at centre back, so moving him may not be in aberdeen's best interests and as has been said a million times, mcghee prefers a 4-3-3 anyways so my point could be moot.

I've been thinking about this a bit more. It seems more likely that instead of a traditional 4-3-3 we're going to see a modern 4-5-1 which becomes 4-3-3 during attacks

Langfield

Foster - Ifil/Considine - Diamond - Paterson

Pawlett - Kerr - Fyvie - McDonald - Aluko

MacLean

Only problem is Mulgrew. Guess he'll get slotted in at LB, CB, LM depending on injuries until he sods off in the summer.