aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I've always seen him as a goal-line hanger who does very little else. If you can describe what he does to better effect rather then being trite then please go ahead.

He is a target man, whose best work is done outwith the penalty area.

More than a hint of the pot-kettle-black about your other comment.

He is a target man, whose best work is done outwith the penalty area.

More than a hint of the pot-kettle-black about your other comment.

Peter Crouch is a target man, Lee Miller isn't.

Miller needs someone to create space for him. No wonder he plays so badly for you lot if he's being used as a target man.

Peter Crouch is a target man, Lee Miller isn't.

Miller needs someone to create space for him. No wonder he plays so badly for you lot if he's being used as a target man.

I don't know where to begin with this....

Firstly: Lee Miller is a target man. His job is to hold the ball up, win headers and generally bring other players into the game. He did this to great effect when we had Jamie Smith playing off him; less so with Mackie or Bebo as they just don't have the quality.

Secondly: he has done a very good job for Aberdeen (hence the 500k move to Boro), so I don't know where you got the 'no wonder he plays so badly for you' from.

And finally: has it crossed your mind that maybe he was mis-used at Dundee Utd? And maybe that's why, after 14months you paid him off to sign for us? Perhaps that's why you think that he needs someone to create space for him. An on-form Lee Miller is, by a distance, the best target man in the SPL.

Guest idol_wild

Lee Miller is a very average SPL striker, who just so happens to be able to win the ball in the air against most defenders, and his first touch is relatively decent.

Aside from that, he lacks pace and mobility, and any sort of genuine footballing intelligence. He's one of Aberdeen's better senior players, but I wouldn't be sad to see him go if Aberdeen got about 300k for him. Given that only about 1 out of 3/4 of his headers/flick-ons arrive in the vicinity of a colleague, I'd say he's very poorly used by Aberdeen and has been for most of his Aberdeen career - but I do feel that's down to the systems the club tends to deploy and the fact that none of his colleagues are intelligent enough to read the patterns of his flick-ons.

As already mentioned, his workrate is dubious, as is his attitude. 300k and approximately 3-4k a week off the wage bill seems like really good business for Aberdeen.

He'll fail miserably at Middlesborough, though.

I've always seen Miller as a 'setter-up'....good in the air, good at getting free kicks. He can poach a bit, too, though.

AKA a target man.

We will sign Jim O'Brien and Kevin Kyle, and deffo make moves for Alan Gow and Steven MacLean. Fingers crossed we can get it done by midnight tomorrow.

Guest idol_wild
We will sign Jim O'Brien and Kevin Kyle, and deffo make moves for Alan Gow and Steven MacLean. Fingers crossed we can get it done by midnight tomorrow.

I've yet to see much of O'Brien, but I'd take Kyle and Gow. Kyle has that added dimension of sheer strength that Lee Miller lacks. Hopefully he looks for free-kicks a little less too, unless he's genuinely fouled.

Lee Miller is a very average SPL striker, who just so happens to be able to win the ball in the air against most defenders, and his first touch is relatively decent.

Aside from that, he lacks pace and mobility, and any sort of genuine footballing intelligence. He's one of Aberdeen's better senior players, but I wouldn't be sad to see him go if Aberdeen got about 300k for him. Given that only about 1 out of 3/4 of his headers/flick-ons arrive in the vicinity of a colleague, I'd say he's very poorly used by Aberdeen and has been for most of his Aberdeen career - but I do feel that's down to the systems the club tends to deploy and the fact that none of his colleagues are intelligent enough to read the patterns of his flick-ons.

As already mentioned, his workrate is dubious, as is his attitude. 300k and approximately 3-4k a week off the wage bill seems like really good business for Aberdeen.

He'll fail miserably at Middlesborough, though.

Yes Philip, but we all know you're a Dons cynic ;-)

500k for him is a great deal for the Dons, but I doubt he'll fail at Boro if, as stated, he is partnered correctly. No surprise that his best spell at Pittodrie was when Jamie Smith played off him. Smith has the intelligence to read Miller's flicks.

The fact remains that he is an effective target man and is moving to a league full of cloggers. Any striker who can win 80% of aerial duels, draw lots of fouls and pens and can finish well enough will do fine.

You're right about his attitude, though. He gets frustrated and sulks too readily.

I don't know where to begin with this....

Firstly: Lee Miller is a target man. His job is to hold the ball up, win headers and generally bring other players into the game. He did this to great effect when we had Jamie Smith playing off him; less so with Mackie or Bebo as they just don't have the quality.

Secondly: he has done a very good job for Aberdeen (hence the 500k move to Boro), so I don't know where you got the 'no wonder he plays so badly for you' from.

And finally: has it crossed your mind that maybe he was mis-used at Dundee Utd? And maybe that's why, after 14months you paid him off to sign for us? Perhaps that's why you think that he needs someone to create space for him. An on-form Lee Miller is, by a distance, the best target man in the SPL.

Nah, Lee Miller is a striker, not a target man. He's not a physical enough presence to be a target man and he goes down like a Belgian hooker at a touch.

The 500k thing is out of the blue and you know it. Sometimes value is over-inflated these days *cough* 16.5m for Darren Bent *cough*. I've been enduring you sods bemoaning his efforts on here for ages. He's shite. 500k for him is ridiculous but if you can get that for him you'd be stupid not to.

He was shit at Bristol City too, i wasn't interested in him when we signed him.

You are having a well-oiled Giraffe if you think he's the best target man in the SPL when he's on form. He's only the best at being Lee Miller in the SPL if we're being honest.

Selling Lee Miller to buy Kevin Kyle is like curing your own cancer to have a fag.

Haha nice analogy.

Selling Lee Miller for 500k and freeing up 2k a week wages (half of Miller's 4k) to sign Kevin Kyle isn't the worst deal in the world, though.

Good deal for the Dons, even though he's one of our best players.

Obviously we're not going to agree on this one, and I know Lee Miller is especially hated by PJM fans, but surely the fact that Gordon Strachan, who has observed him for years, rates him highly enough to fork out half a mil for him suggests that at the very least he isn't shite.

I'm not being facetious, genuinely curious - who do you think is a better target man in the SPL?

Guest idol_wild
I'm not being facetious, genuinely curious - who do you think is a better target man in the SPL?

I'm gonna stick my two pence in here and say that Lee McCulloch has always impressed me whenever he's been used as a target man, for both Motherwell and Rangers. Strong, clever, and very reliable in the air.

Fucking hun.

I hate him.

Colin Nish?

Let me rephrase that - who is a better target man in the SPL in games that haven't just involved ICT? For some reason, Nish only seems to turn up against them. Maybe that's why he's done fuck all this season.

Lee McCulloch has played what, half - a - dozen games in attack in the last three years? No way.

I hope that you're joking with the Nade suggestion. That lump of wood is so bad that Hertz played two untried teenagers upfront instead against us two weeks back. He is one of the worse strikers in the league.