aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone

I like the fact that Tony Mowbray is actually trying to change the team around. I don't agree with his decision to get rid of Robson and Caldwell, but the fact that he's snapped up a Premiership striker, another young player, and he's in talks to sign Ramis from Mallorca is all quite positive.

I said a couple of weeks ago we'd win the league, and despite getting beat by Hibs, I still stand by that. Surely a couple of Rangers players will be out the door today, including Kris Boyd, and they won't add any players, so they'll be fucked. Good and proper. Hopefully.

I said a couple of weeks ago we'd win the league, and despite getting beat by Hibs, I still stand by that. Surely a couple of Rangers players will be out the door today, including Kris Boyd, and they won't add any players, so they'll be fucked. Good and proper. Hopefully.

Can't see the huns selling Boyd, especially as they've now offloaded Mendes.

Plus, it would ruin my dream team.

Guest Gladstone
I expect Diomansy Kamara to do well for Celtic, he's a proper goalscoring threat and should do better than the current crop at putting away some of the chances that the midfield create.

Despite our defensive frailties - converting chances seems to have been our main problem. I've not seen enough football this season to speak with any certainty, but the games I've seen combined with reading the match reports, tells me that the midfield have been putting chance after chance on a plate for the strikers, and they've not been converting nearly enough of them.

If Kris Boyd was a Celtic player, we'd have much more points on the board than we currently do.

McDonald's goals seem to have dried up, and the rest of them aren't out and out goalscorers. I yearn for the seasons when we had Larsson/Hartson or Larsson/Sutton bagging 100 goals between them, with the midfielders pitching in with their fair share of goals as well. We can't even score fucking penalties nowadays.

Guest Gladstone
Can't see the huns selling Boyd, especially as they've now offloaded Mendes.

Plus, it would ruin my dream team.

It's wishful thinking really.

I didn't realise they'd sold Mendes till about 10 minutes ago. I always thought he was a right good midfielder, so glad he's gone.

There was a fair bit of chat surrounding Boyd, and to be honest, Rangers' hand could be forced to punt any player if a good bid comes in. I'd love Boyd to go and play down in England - it would probably be good for him (and Scotland) too.

Guest Gladstone
No. Wish he would hurry up though.

Rumors of Kevin Kyle, MacLean, Michael Stewart??!?!?! that the Dons are looking at.

Could do with at least 2 new players today.

Michael Stewart would be a pretty good signing for the Dons, although I'd fear he would be in the first team straight away at the expense of some of these cracking youngsters that have emerged this season.

Michael Stewart would be a pretty good signing for the Dons, although I'd fear he would be in the first team straight away at the expense of some of these cracking youngsters that have emerged this season.

Can't see it. I think it's just a slow day at the P&J.

He'd surely be on quite high wages at Hearts anyway....

All the games I've been at this season we've pretty much dominated, we've been solid at the back and in midfield, but we just can't get it in the goal. Now we've lost two strikers in January (if you could call Tommy Wright a striker). If we could get one good "penalty box" forward in today we could climb that table good and proper. Obviously if MM can get in players in other positions that are better than the ones we have then by all means bring them in, but it's not as big a priority as getting a decent striker.

The rumoured figure for Lee Miller is 500k. I'm not silly enough to think that McGhee is going to get that money to spend on a new player, but hopefully he'll get a wee bit of it to put in a bid for someone (100k for MacLean?). Plus it will free up a big wage, I think Miller was our top earner IIRC.

Remember Seth Johnson? Once cost Leeds 7 million quid.... on trial at Cambridge United I kid ye not. Even won a cap for England. Very injury prone mind but would be a fantastic signing for us if he can prove his fitness!

Could be a Jamie Smith-style signing.......fit about one afternoon every 3 months. but has one great game in the four he manges to play during his time with the club.

I'd pass.

Could be a Jamie Smith-style signing.......fit about one afternoon every 3 months. but has one great game in the four he manges to play during his time with the club.

I'd pass.

well I would if I had the influence on such matters! Ling's signings so far have been pretty decent and unlike previous managers he doesnt go running to the press every 2 mins complaining about the transfer budget and he has around half of the budget to work with than his predecessors.

In other cambridgeshire news, peterboro sack mark cooper after three and a half months in charge. no suprise really he was clearly out of his depth! they should have stuck with fergie jnr but there was a vicious rumour sweeping the fens that fergie was dipping his wick somewhere he shouldnt... allegedly :up:

Leon Best is having a medical at Newcastle. Never heard of the lad, and his goal record over the past few seasons hasn't been too impressive, but with 9 in 15 this season he could prove to be a useful player. At 23 his best years are hopefully ahead of him, too. Hope he does well for us.

No. Wish he would hurry up though.

Rumors of Kevin Kyle, MacLean, Michael Stewart??!?!?! that the Dons are looking at.

Could do with at least 2 new players today.

Michael Stewart would be a fucking pointless signing, absolutely no need when Gary Mcdonald is being shunted to the wing in order for the better midfielders to get a game. For example the midfield for Aberdeen against Motherwell consisted of Young and Kerr in the middle with Fyvie and McDonald on the wings, it chopped and changed throughout the game but the point is that we don't need a central midfield player.

Kevin Kyle I personally prefer over Mclean, simply because he's proved he can cut it in Scotland already, whereas I've heard Mcleans's name thrown about since the start of January but have never actually seen him play before, and looking at his previous performance stats he seems quite injury prone.

Mcghee should be making extreme efforts to sign Jim O'Brien, he has unbelievably quick feet and can run all day, my mate is a Motherwell fan and worships him. But he'd no doubt come to Aberdeen like so many other promising players and turn shite.

Oh, and amidst Dons transfer talk,get rid of Grassi, he is terrible.

Michael Stewart would be a fucking pointless signing, absolutely no need when Gary Mcdonald is being shunted to the wing in order for the better midfielders to get a game. For example the midfield for Aberdeen against Motherwell consisted of Young and Kerr in the middle with Fyvie and McDonald on the wings, it chopped and changed throughout the game but the point is that we don't need a central midfield player.

I wondered if this was to replace McDonald as he has put contract talks on hold until the summer so may be on his way out. McGhee seems quite keen to play a 4-3-3 as he did with Motherwell so may well be looking to bolster the central midfield spots for further options.

I wondered if this was to replace McDonald as he has put contract talks on hold until the summer so may be on his way out. McGhee seems quite keen to play a 4-3-3 as he did with Motherwell so may well be looking to bolster the central midfield spots for further options.

Good point forgot Mcdonald was out of contract, as it happens I doubt Stewart will sign for Aberdeen, I think it's likely to be Mclean and........well........who knows?

What a rubbish deadline day. Biggest moves of the month being Vieira to City, and Adam Johnson to SOMEWHERE, possibly. Maybe Smalling to United too, since that reached the heights of 7million pounds, and isn't a loan, though he has been loaned back to Fulham.

The only good rumour that I've heard today is Michael Owen on loan to Arsenal, since they have no strikers (no good ones, that is. Eduardo, Bendtner, Vela don't really count since they don't score goals, ever).

What a boring transfer deadline day so far. Teamtalk's front page is running the following "scoops".

Black Cats make James enquiry

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is reported to have made an enquiry to cash-strapped Portsmouth about England goalkeeper David James.

Pompey reject Potters' Begovic bid

Portsmouth are understood to have rejected Stoke's bid for keeper Asmir Begovic, with the Potters' conduct said to have left Pompey furious.

Hammers wrap up McCarthy capture

West Ham have boosted their striking options by completing the signing of Benni McCarthy from Blackburn Rovers for an undisclosed fee.

Hodgson gets his hands on Shorey

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has completed the signing of Nicky Shorey from Aston Villa on loan until the end of the season.

City's move for Mariga falls through

Manchester City have failed to sign McDonald Mariga after the Parma midfielder's work permit application was turned down.

Nugent extends Clarets loan spell

Cash-strapped Portsmouth have allowed striker David Nugent to extend his loan spell at Burnley until the end of the season.

Tigers snub Wolves' 5m Hunt bid

Wolves have had a final bid of 5million for midfielder Stephen Hunt rejected by Hull City as they want to keep him for their survival battle.

Best move of the day for Magpies

Leon Best has completed his switch from Coventry to Newcastle for an undisclosed fee after the striker signed a deal until the summer of 2013.

Gosh! Posh put bosh on another boss

Peterborough have announced that they have sacked manager Mark Cooper after just two months in charge at the London Road side.

Wake me up when something interesting happens. Like the Dons sign Stevie Crawford with half an hour to spare.