aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Mark Hateley's view on Dons fans

By Mark Hateley

I love Nacho Novo. There' date=' I've said it. And it may come as no surprise to learn the good people of Pittodrie do not feature high in my affection.

But I must admit to being disappointed in my wee pal the other day when he dropped his shorts and lifted a finger to the locals in the wake of Rangers' defeat at Aberdeen.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that they didn't deserve it.

How can these morons stand spewing their filth at a football player for 90 minutes, in front of their own children and wives, then act like horrified innocents at the sight of a pair of underpants?

What do you think scars a five-year-old kid more?Watching his dad behave like a foul-mouthed lunatic every Saturday or seeing the Spaniard flick out a gesture as he runs the gauntlet in front of the baying mob?

So spare me all this c*** about Novo's actions causing offence. If these people are so worried about the sense and sensibilities of their offspring or their women folk then why were they still inside the stadium at the end of the game? Surely as soon as the first vile chants of "Nacho Novo, f****** homo" started up they would have headed for the exits or, even better, made for the cops to register their complaints on the way out.

Don't make me laugh. No one gives it out the way the punters at Pittodrie do and, speaking as someone who was assaulted by one of their knuckle-draggers as I stood signing autographs for kids in wheelchairs outside the front door, no one knows better than I do just how twisted some of them can be.

But that STILL doesn't excuse the actions of Novo. I'm sorry to say this Nacho, but you really should be better than that. In fact, the way Rangers performed in the Granite City as they blew the only unbeaten record in British football merely summed up what I was saying about these players in these very pages last week.[/quote']

Guest Gladstone

I've never liked Mark Hately.

What he says here I do agree with to an extent, but he's said it all the wrong way - he's just turned it into a rant about Aberdeen fans which he's wanted off his chest for a few years.

I think (as stated above) that football fans take the moral high ground when a player does something like Novo did all too easily, straight after calling Novo's mother a cunt or a whore or something similar. It happens everywhere, Pittodrie is quite bad for it, but no worse than say Ibrox. Hately hasn't experienced the hatred from the Ibrox stands because he was a much loved player down there. But to call the Aberdeen fans knuckle-draggers is quite a statement from a Rangers player.

The sectarianism from both sides of the old firm is the most "knuckle-dragging" thing in Scottish football, and I'll no doubt sound really biased here, but it is worse from the Rangers fans than it is from Celtic fans. I don't think there are much if any sectarian chants at Celtic Park these days. Admittedly, it happens away from home far too often, and the recent booing of the minute's silence was a disgrace.

So, what I'm trying to say is:

"Hately, shut the fuck up."

I've never liked Mark Hately.

What he says here I do agree with to an extent, but he's said it all the wrong way - he's just turned it into a rant about Aberdeen fans which he's wanted off his chest for a few years.

I think (as stated above) that football fans take the moral high ground when a player does something like Novo did all too easily, straight after calling Novo's mother a cunt or a whore or something similar. It happens everywhere, Pittodrie is quite bad for it, but no worse than say Ibrox. Hately hasn't experienced the hatred from the Ibrox stands because he was a much loved player down there. But to call the Aberdeen fans knuckle-draggers is quite a statement from a Rangers player.

The sectarianism from both sides of the old firm is the most "knuckle-dragging" thing in Scottish football, and I'll no doubt sound really biased here, but it is worse from the Rangers fans than it is from Celtic fans. I don't think there are much if any sectarian chants at Celtic Park these days. Admittedly, it happens away from home far too often, and the recent booing of the minute's silence was a disgrace.

So, what I'm trying to say is:

"Hately, shut the fuck up."

The bitter fucking tink "gets it off his chest" at least once a season.

Anyway, none of us really give a toss about Novo baring his arse or giving us the (dreaded) finger. We just want the wee cunt to get fined.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned to cannabalism as a coping mechanism for this wheelchair autograph signing assault trauma - dressing his victims in full Aberdeen kit before finishing the job.

I suppose you could say that I'm not easily surprised.

His main point about football fans in general, ignoring the anti-Aberdeen bent, is a fair one. It's the same thing we saw from the reaction to Adebayor in the Man City v Arsenal game earlier in the season. The player's actions are stupid and worthy of some punishment but the fans don't come out of it smelling of roses either.

They should be more like 'boro fans, we're more likely to grumble under our breath and leave it at that. We're away to QPR on Saturday, I fully expect to partake in some mild grumbling.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned to cannabalism as a coping mechanism for this wheelchair autograph signing assault trauma - dressing his victims in full Aberdeen kit before finishing the job.

I suppose you could say that I'm not easily surprised.

His main point about football fans in general, ignoring the anti-Aberdeen bent, is a fair one. It's the same thing we saw from the reaction to Adebayor in the Man City v Arsenal game earlier in the season. The player's actions are stupid and worthy of some punishment but the fans don't come out of it smelling of roses either.

They should be more like 'boro fans, we're more likely to grumble under our breath and leave it at that. We're away to QPR on Saturday, I fully expect to partake in some mild grumbling.

Grumbling? Pah. At least you're around the playoff places. Wednesday are 19th. 19th!! The only plus point of getting relegated (which is looking more and more likely) is that we won't have to endure the embarassment of playing Leeds United and losing, as their promotion is looking nailed on already. We'll probably go bust though, or be forced to lose big stars like Francis Jeffers and the formidable Leon Clarke.

Guest Gladstone
The bitter fucking tink "gets it off his chest" at least once a season.

Anyway, none of us really give a toss about Novo baring his arse or giving us the (dreaded) finger. We just want the wee cunt to get fined.

Ah right - I've never read anything written by Hately before, I just ignore the cunt normally.

And, aye I realise the reason behind the Dons fans getting stuck into Novo - I'm not having a go at Dons fans here at all (that would be dangerous territory on this site....), but the mentality of football fans being massive "tell-tales" when it comes to this sort of thing and convincing themselves that they're outraged by this sort of behaviour - some people do get it into their thick skulls that what players have done is offensive. I cited the example further up the thread of the Rangers fans going ballistic when Boruc crossed himself, the same thing that their ex-captain used to do every game. It's offensive when Boruc does it because he's a Celtic player though. And they completely convince themselves that Boruc is a bigot for crossing himself. I'm sorry, but if you actually have a problem with him crossing himself, you'll find that you're the bigot.

Anyway, I digress...

Aberdeen fans hate Novo, and that's the only reason any of them are going a bit mental about this, and the fact that Miller got fined for baring his arse recently. It's fucking ridiculous though. I wish football fans would man the fuck up. If I'd gone to my primary school teacher and told her that someone had pulled a moony in the playground, and I was horrified by it, she would have told me to stop being a clipey little bastard and go back outside and play.

:laughing:

The "signing autographs for kids in wheelchairs" quote is some of my favourite comedy demonisation of Aberdeen of all time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to push some disabled kiddies down stairs and then sing about it.

"stand free" would be in very bad taste.

mark might even write a column about it, providing every non-rangers fan some comedy right before they wipe their collective bum cracks.

I like Wenger, certainly a thousand per cent more than Mark Hughes. I admire Wenger's decision to stand by his youth despite knowing City were going to field a full strength team. A bit more of a sensible man would have mixed experience with youth however, if he really wanted to win it.

I imagine Hughes is probably eager to win at least something shiney so he doesn't look like a complete failure from the cash he's spent. Might as well. No one else is that bothered about the Beer Cup.

I enjoy watching it, for the nippy kids that can run dead fast, only to get knocked off the ball and through the air by a more physical first teamer. And anything that can potentially offer a penalty shoot out is good in my book. No team looks liike they want to win it though, except City. I hope they don't though. Because Hughes is a twat.

The teams in the semi-finals all look like they genuinely want to win it. Of the 4 only man utd have put out something that could be considered a weakened side and even in their case it's a decent half and half between youth and experience.

Did anyone see the BBC highlights show on Wednesday? I'm worried that Mark Lawrenson may be living on the streets nowadays...

Oh, I hope not. If that is true, he can come live with me, the poor soul.

I'd like Villa to win it. United probably have bigger concerns. Blackburn could probably get beaten by anyone in the Premier League over two legs right now, and City are City. The new Leeds United. Easily dislikeable for reasons you can't even explain. A team of dollar-eyed turncoats. Adebayor is a bastard.