aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone

Just saw the highlights of the Celtic v Dons game. They made it look as if it was almost all Celtic causing Aberdeen problems, not sure if that's a fair reflection or not? It didn't sound like that on the radio in the first half.

The red card was justified - stupid and pointless challenge from Ifil, who may just have cost you the points there. It was only 1-0 at the time (I think?) - uphill battle from there.

Celtic seem to have upped their game in the past couple of weeks, and McGeady in particular is looking far more sprightly, and Samaras scoring goals is just ridiculous. He still looks like a completely garbage, clumsy oaf though. I read the match report which said his second goal was a clever chip or something similar. It wasn't, he stumbled past the defender, and just swung his leg - looked like he completely miskicked it. His movement for the first goal was good though - and the cross from Hinkel was spot on.

By the look of the highlights, the score could have been much higher than 3-0 with the post being struck a couple of times, couple of goal-line scrambles etc - N'Guemo deserved to make it 4 with that run and shot off the post.

More than happy with a 3-0 scalp against an in-form Aberdeen though.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK810i/R6BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I'm glad i wasn't the only one going mental at the everton come back. It was like i needed them to succeed, this left of confused afterwards because i generally have no strong feelings about either team. I loved it when defoe missed the penalty.

I really thought he was going to miss. Those lonnnng delays before a penalty can be taken seem to force a player to miss. Howard seems to have a good record at penalties and Defoe is crap at them. It just had miss written all over it. They should have let Gomes take it. He could have just punted it like a goalkick into the roof of the net.

If Saha wasn't so injury prone, he'd be better than Ronaldo. The fat Brazilian one.

How did he even get his body in that position to do that? It was incredible. If that had have gone in, Goodison Park would have erupted and crumbled into the ground, and they'd have no choice but to build Everton a new stadium.

The slow-mo of Palacios getting floored was incredible. He just flew through the air with a face full of anguish. Looked pretty nasty.

Gutted I didn't get to see the Spurs match. Sounds like it was a bit of a treat. Good old fashioned stirring comeback. I hope Saha can find that Fulham form he's been looking for for years.

Looking forward to seeing/laughing at the man yoo defence tonight. Gary Neville trying to pass himself off as a centre half at the weekend was a sight. What a despicable human being he is. If Carlton Cole was fit he would have limped off much earlier, surprised he managed as long as he did.

Gutted I didn't get to see the Spurs match. Sounds like it was a bit of a treat. Good old fashioned stirring comeback. I hope Saha can find that Fulham form he's been looking for for years.

Looking forward to seeing/laughing at the man yoo defence tonight. Gary Neville trying to pass himself off as a centre half at the weekend was a sight. What a despicable human being he is. If Carlton Cole was fit he would have limped off much earlier, surprised he managed as long as he did.

I love Gary Neville as a figure of hatred, but I can't stand him as a player or a human being. Still, he is reasonably disciplined as a centre back and is a decent option against lower half league sides. But you're right, Cole would have put him underneath the turf and stomped on him. It really would have taken Vidic to take care of a striker that like.

Doubt Neville is playing at all tonight though. Looks like Fletcher and Carrick are going to be at the back. Both decent tacklers with a bit of height. However, Dzeko is a handful and they seem to actually want to win the group, where as whenever Fergie hears the word "qualified" he's instantly on the blower to the academy for a list of 11 kids who can kick a ball a few feet. He won't be laughing when they come second and get a toughie in the 2nd round. Not even a bye into the Yoofa Cup for losing that. He'll get zero sympathy, just like Martin O'Neill got.

I bet even Chelsea put out a first team even though they are through and are group winners

Guest idol_wild

I'm in agreement with Original Spies about Carrick and Fletcher being suitable candidates for filling in at centre-back. Both are pretty intelligent footballers and can read the game adequately and both are pretty useful in a tackle. I don't think this injury problem will affect Manchester United at all really, their players are simply too good. I really rate this Darron Gibson fella. He's got that sort of Man Utd 'attitude' about him - he's a man who really wants to win. He's going to have a good career.

I'm uncertain about Gibson. He can welly a ball towards goal now and again and his scoring record/appearances ratio can't be argued, but his tackling is awful. he can't pick out much of a pass either. Anything over 20 yards especially. Watching the West Ham game, he didn't serve any use apart from taking shots. He had about 7 shots, and only one of them was on target. The others were just awful. To get one shot in 7 on target doesn't really prove to me he is a quality player.

Other than the shots, I'm not sure what role he is meant to fill. Is he meant to be an attacking or a defensive midfielder? He lacks so many traits both of those need to have. If he can leap and header the ball, perhaps he should be a striker, considering his scoring record and his confidence to just just welly the ball? I think in big games against top teams in a central role, he will prove to be a bit of a liability.

Guest idol_wild

Other than the shots, I'm not sure what role he is meant to fill. Is he meant to be an attacking or a defensive midfielder? He lacks so many traits both of those need to have. If he can leap and header the ball, perhaps he should be a striker, considering his scoring record and his confidence to just just welly the ball? I think in big games against top teams in a central role, he will prove to be a bit of a liability.

Why does a midfielder have to be either defensive or attacking? Gibson is just a central midfielder. I guess you could call him box-to-box, which he is, because you possibly noticed that he gets up and down quite well and his positional discipline is generally not bad for a young player. I think he supports the more offensive players around him really well and generally plays as a no-frills central midfielder, getting involved as much as possible.

Barring a tremendous strike, Gibbo looked ropey against West Ham. Couldn't pass for peanuts and Scholes/Giggs had to dig him out of trouble a few times. Is amazing how the older players just seem to take the right first touch, giving themselves a bit of breathing space before looking for a pass. At times he looked far from Man Utd standard, whether that was due to nerves or just a lack of competence I don't know yet. I remember Fletcher being similar early on though, and look at him now. Bacon face Ferguson is no mug, he knows a decent player when he sees one so here's hoping Gibson continues to smack them in. Not a Manyoo fan but everyone loves a 30 yard screamer. Slept through the game last night, how did he play?

Has the 'Owen for World Cup squad' campaign started in the papers yet?

Edit: a propos de Fletcher/Carrick filling in at centre half... You may be the greatest player on earth but that doesn't mean you can play any position. Centre half is a position that requires a completely different skill set to any other position, whereas a lot of the other parts of the field are fairly interchangeable. John Terry would be useless up front for example, as would Messi at the back. How did they get on? ... Actually, going by my own summary, that would make Dion Dublin the greatest player ever... I may have to reconsider.

Ahhhh, the Old Lady of Turin got a royal fucking last night. Is there a smug smiley?

:]

Yes there is! :p

Juve were fucking abysmal. Melo doesn't look half the player he was at Fiorentina (who the hell thinks it's a good idea to repeatedly invite Schweinsteiger to just wander through the middle of the park?) and Caceres has a Caldwell-esque football brain. Tactically, everything they do is far too heavily focused on Diego.

If they hadn't beaten Inter at the weekend, Ferrara would be in severe danger of getting punted.

We could be 7 points clear at the top of the league if we beat Coventry tonight, thanks to West Brom ballsing it up against Caaaahhhhdiff last night. We usually don't take advantage of situations like this particularly well, but I've got my fingers crossed. Coventry are guff.

Barring a tremendous strike, Gibbo looked ropey against West Ham. Couldn't pass for peanuts and Scholes/Giggs had to dig him out of trouble a few times. Is amazing how the older players just seem to take the right first touch, giving themselves a bit of breathing space before looking for a pass. At times he looked far from Man Utd standard, whether that was due to nerves or just a lack of competence I don't know yet. I remember Fletcher being similar early on though, and look at him now. Bacon face Ferguson is no mug, he knows a decent player when he sees one so here's hoping Gibson continues to smack them in. Not a Manyoo fan but everyone loves a 30 yard screamer. Slept through the game last night, how did he play?

Has the 'Owen for World Cup squad' campaign started in the papers yet?

Edit: a propos de Fletcher/Carrick filling in at centre half... You may be the greatest player on earth but that doesn't mean you can play any position. Centre half is a position that requires a completely different skill set to any other position, whereas a lot of the other parts of the field are fairly interchangeable. John Terry would be useless up front for example, as would Messi at the back. How did they get on? ... Actually, going by my own summary, that would make Dion Dublin the greatest player ever... I may have to reconsider.

Carrick's poor judgement of a tackle should have given Wolfsburg a penalty. He got nowhere near the ball. Dzeko caused a world of problems, being a fair bit taller than anyone on the pitch. Fletcher was tremendous considering he was out of position though, although he does have a fair bit of Right Back experience. His weedy frame out muscled just about everyone off the ball. However, it was Evra holding it all together for the most part. He was vital.

Wolfsburg could have and should have won. Some wasted chances, and a denied penalty. But if you can't score more than one goal against a team with no recognised centre backs, then you probably don't deserve to be in the last 16.

We could be 7 points clear at the top of the league if we beat Coventry tonight, thanks to West Brom ballsing it up against Caaaahhhhdiff last night. We usually don't take advantage of situations like this particularly well, but I've got my fingers crossed. Coventry are guff.

Newcastle ALWAYS balls these chances up. I really hope I eat my words but either way i'm chucking some cash on a coventry win @ 7/2 as cover!

I watched the first half of Leeds vs Kettering Town last night. It was really boring, just completely one way traffic, Kettering hardly got a touch of the ball and the Leeds players were only giving about 50%, not bothering to chase balls or go after rebounded shots or anything. They were treating it like a training session. so I switched it off at 1-0 at half time and watched X-Files instead. Apparently it went to extra time and finished 5-1. Kinda wished I hadn't turned it off now.

I watched the first half of Leeds vs Kettering Town last night. It was really boring, just completely one way traffic, Kettering hardly got a touch of the ball and the Leeds players were only giving about 50%, not bothering to chase balls or go after rebounded shots or anything. They were treating it like a training session. so I switched it off at 1-0 at half time and watched X-Files instead. Apparently it went to extra time and finished 5-1. Kinda wished I hadn't turned it off now.

Man Utd vs Leeds in the next round. What a tie! It would be an explosive atmosphere if it was at Elland Road. Shame it isn't. Still. It should be good.

It was 1-1 at half time in extra time. Leeds scored 4 goals in 11 minutes after the Kettering Assisstant Manager made 3 substitutions (the actual Manager was playing in goal). The Assisstant Manager was sacked this morning.

We lost 0-3 at home to Blackpool. I know they're a team in form but that's still a shocking display. I get the impression that the players are scared of playing in front of the home crowd who have been getting on their backs lately. Grr.