aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

The logic is there. We live in a cold country, where it gets freezing in winter and warm in the summer. So how does it make any sense at all to play our outdoor sports over the winter? I may be a pussy but I only go to Pittodrie between August - October, and March - May. It's too fucking cold the rest of the time. I don't want to sit outside in winter thank you very much.

Just means you'll be watching football in the rain instead of the snow. It also means matches won't get postponed at the rate they do, meaning prize whingers like Walter Smith won't bubble about fixture congestion and such.

Either that, or just get these jessies to harden up and play on the frozen solid turf, where a slide tackle will rip your leg open.

Either that, or just get these jessies to harden up and play on the frozen solid turf, where a slide tackle will rip your leg open.

I went through a phase of doing that week in, week out on the astroturf pitch at Asda. Fuck me, never in my life has a shower been so painful. Hot water and red raw skin do not mix well.

I've still got a pink patch on my leg where the new skin has healed over. Nice.

it works fine in the republic of ireland the old summer season. And right now the thought of summer football is very appealing as I get my winter woolies ready to go sell programmes then watch Cambridge v Chester - a fixture that hardly sets the footballing loins alight but it is a game we really should be winning!

I kinda like the idea. I hate summer coz there's no football. Todders on a baking summer's day (well, a non cloudy day, it is aberdeen after all) could be quite special. They could do chocolate sliders and slush puppies to go along with the pies.

I'm tempted to say that that's the best idea you've ever had.

What would happen if we actually qualified for the World Cup? All fixtures postponed. It could be a good idea in terms of generating interest in the league, with no other games in the summer people might turn to Scotland to get their football fix.

Surely Ireland have a contingency in place for that happening. We'll just nick their idea. It can't be any stupider than a league that splits in half after 33 games.

Guest Gladstone
What would happen if we actually qualified for the World Cup? All fixtures postponed. It could be a good idea in terms of generating interest in the league, with no other games in the summer people might turn to Scotland to get their football fix.

There are other countries that play in the Summer that seem to make it work if they qualify. I think some Eastern European countries play over the Summer? That's why they're often really sharp in qualifying for Champions League, and we're, well - quite fat.

Have a midseason break for World Cup/Euros. Even if Scotland don't qualify there's an outside chance that some players from SPL sides will be off to play for someone.

In Russia they have their season from March to November and last year they took a break from 16th May 'til 5th July for Euro 2008 so it can be done.

Guest Gladstone
Have a midseason break for World Cup/Euros. Even if Scotland don't qualify there's an outside chance that some players from SPL sides will be off to play for someone.

In Russia they have their season from March to November and last year they took a break from 16th May 'til 5th July for Euro 2008 so it can be done.

That would be far more sensible than the current set up in my opinion. A compromise would be 16 team league with a proper Winter break. The split is a farce, and playing teams 4 times a season is a farce.

European competitions don't run between the start of December and the middle of February so they aren't going to have to play that many games outside of their regular season. Plus it means that for things like Champions League/Europa League qualifying rounds that happen in what is pre-season for most leagues the scots and russians will already be in full flow. Advantage Northerners.

12 teams isn't enough for a top division. It should be 16 or 18, or even 20. They should also have some sort of regional conference-style pyramid system to allow some of the non-league teams a crack at the league. eg. the winners of the Highland league, the South of Scotland League and the East of Scotland league and the team that finished bottom of Division 3 go into a playoff, or something similar. That would be mint.

Instead of splitting the league in two, they should split the teams in two. 5 a sides, running keepers, half the pitch each. Good, honest entertainment for all the family!

And if a team is winning by miles, the player that's scored the most goals for them has to move over to the losing team to level it out a bit. Them's the rules.

While I'm at it, I'm going to write to the SFA and ask them if we can replay the 2004 Scottish Cup Final, with the Pars 1-0 up, just before the point that Badle handballed it in the lead-up to the equaliser. It's only fair.

Swings and roundabouts chimp, the memory of Jimmy Bastard Sandison going utterly tonto in the '91 Skol Cup semi over our penalty-that-never-was still gladdens the heart from time to time...

We scored it as well. LOL.

:up: