aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Also; the suggestion that Van Persie should be banned for his original foul on Adebayor is absurd. His challenge deserved a caution, nothing more. It was reckless, but not overly so.

I would agree with you had he not been such a moany cunt afterwards. You can't go charging in then greet (through a legal advisor on a website) when you get a clout to the face. It's absurd in that it would never happen but all this retrospective ban calling should go both ways. Fair enough Adebayor might have stamped on purpose but there's hundreds of incidents like that all the time and for one to be blown out of proportion it's only fair to blow them all out. Different scenario... Arsenal won the game, the Eduardo thing had never happened and it was another player, say ireland who stamped... there would be none of the same post match one-upmanship and trying to sway the media. It all seems so petty and non-football. Banning a player after a match for an incident deemed to be dangerous/unsportsmanlike i agree with but the tattletale aspect of the top clubs I can't stand.

You call it shite, I call it an opinion.

So, the Premier League is introducing the 25 man squad limit to start next season, where you're only allowed 17 players over the age of 21. The other 8 must be 21 or under and "home-grown". The definition of "home-grown was then explained to be a player that has been trained by an English or Welsh FA academy for 3 or more years. You'd think that the big clubs with their hefty squads will suffer, and the smaller clubs who actually bring their players through the ranks will shine. But, the big clubs are just going to step in and buy these English youngsters for pocket change, to make up the numbers.

The loophole is that the "home-grown" players can still be foreign as long as they have been in a British academy for 3 years, so the big clubs will continue to snatch promising youngsters from here and abroad, like Macheda and Kakuta.

A pointless rule. It's going to cause chaos, and the prospect of injuries mounting up hasn't been taken into consideration either. Rotation is already essential where European football is concerned. The butting in of the African Nations will cause all kinds of stress on Chelsea who have to name a limited squad AND are still unable to bring in new players.

Nothing will change except a whole load of moaning.

So, the Premier League is introducing the 25 man squad limit to start next season, where you're only allowed 17 players over the age of 21. The other 8 must be 21 or under and "home-grown". The definition of "home-grown was then explained to be a player that has been trained by an English or Welsh FA academy for 3 or more years. You'd think that the big clubs with their hefty squads will suffer, and the smaller clubs who actually bring their players through the ranks will shine. But, the big clubs are just going to step in and buy these English youngsters for pocket change, to make up the numbers.

The loophole is that the "home-grown" players can still be foreign as long as they have been in a British academy for 3 years, so the big clubs will continue to snatch promising youngsters from here and abroad, like Macheda and Kakuta.

A pointless rule. It's going to cause chaos, and the prospect of injuries mounting up hasn't been taken into consideration either. Rotation is already essential where European football is concerned. The butting in of the African Nations will cause all kinds of stress on Chelsea who have to name a limited squad AND are still unable to bring in new players.

Well. thanks for getting the moaning ball rolling :laughing:

it'll give something else for wenger to complain about! although with the amount of younsters he does bring through might not affect arsenal as much as the other big teams.

yet again with the FA, a good idea in theory but not thought through properly.

i was reading an interesting article on how poor the state of south american club football is at the moment due to big european teams poaching a lot of the kids. in the old days they used to play domestically for a few season then get a transfer, often to portugal before signing for one of the big boys, now they're just getting poached, cutting out the middle man!

The funny thing about that Adebayor incident is... it was the most shouting i've ever seen from an Arsenal support. Usually they just sit there and occasionally clap and not really caring because they are fickle and rubbish.

Sometimes they go home at the 70th minute too.

But, what would you have to sing about consistently coming 4th? They should stop even calling it 4th, and just call it Arsenal.

I think Man City or Spurs are more likely to come Arsenal this season, mind.

Sometimes they go home at the 70th minute too.

But, what would you have to sing about consistently coming 4th? They should stop even calling it 4th, and just call it Arsenal.

I think Man City or Spurs are more likely to come Arsenal this season, mind.

more likely to come 4th than arsenal?

i'm just getting the image of the Spurs cock jizzing arsenal players.

As a Spurs fan, I hope you're right :) But I've got a feeling it will be Citeh that finish 3rd/4th though.

Haha. Not neccesarily moaning, as I don't think it's a bad idea as such. Just a bit pointless. A limitation for limitations sake, and irrational towards the prospect of injuries and non-Uefa International duties.

As a plus side, it might get rid of new signings getting given the number 48 squad number or whatever.

Aye, they'll change it in a few years anyway (probably as Del says on appeal from Arsene Wegner) rendering the whole process a complete waste of time.

I remember in the 90's that the Scottish League had a rule whereby you could only name 3 foreigners in your starting 11. This rule became known as the 8 Diddies Rule :laughing:

I assume that the Scottish national team will start reaping the benefits of this any day soon......

I remember years and years ago watching Man Utd/Barca on tv. Barca won 4-0. United had to have Cantona and Schmeichel sat in the stands because of the foreigner restriction rule. It boggles my mind to this day which foreigners they played in preference to Schmeichel and Cantona. It couldn't have been a zero-foreigner rule, because Barca had Romario and Stoichkov upfront who were scoring goals for fun past deputy net minder Gary Walsh who looked like he'd been blindfolded and just dived at the sound of a ball being kicked. Good game.

Paddy Kenny took Benylin (if a consummate professional with very good disciplinary records is to be believed) . Adebayor's antics caused a steward to get knocked out and could've incited a riot if the cops hadn't been spot on. Man takes Benylin, other man causes physical harm to an innocent party as a result of his actions. Are you stupid?

That's less Adebayor's fault and more the fault of the morons in the stand that were starting the fucking riot. If these fuckwits can't behave themselves in public they shouldn't be allowed at the football. I bet you they were shouting abuse at Adebayor for the whole game, and as soon as he did something back to them they were all crying to the police about it and trying to force their way onto the pitch.

What about finding the fat bastard in the yellow shirt who was trying to get on the pitch and banning him for 4 matches? Or all the folk that were throwing things at Adebayor?

Football fans need to man the fuck up, if they can't take it they shouldn't dish it out. Being a football fan doesn't give people the right to act like cavemen.

I remember years and years ago watching Man Utd/Barca on tv. Barca won 4-0. United had to have Cantona and Schmeichel sat in the stands because of the foreigner restriction rule. It boggles my mind to this day which foreigners they played in preference to Schmeichel and Cantona. It couldn't have been a zero-foreigner rule, because Barca had Romario and Stoichkov upfront who were scoring goals for fun past deputy net minder Gary Walsh who looked like he'd been blindfolded and just dived at the sound of a ball being kicked. Good game.

Irwin, Kanchelskis and Keane.

• Upvote 1

Impressive facts.

Gary Walsh was poor, and Ferguson must have known that. Schmeichel was integral at that point, and had an effect on games that most goalkeepers never will. I would have thought he'd have sacrificed one of those 3 for the sake of Schmeichel. Perhaps not Cantona, as a game like that must have been damage limitation more than anything.

I think you've got that slightly wrong.

Homegrown players have to have been registered to a club in england/wales for 3 years between the ages of 16 and 21, regardless of how old they are now.

That means Ryan Giggs qualifies as homegrown.

Any number of under-21s can be added to the 25 man squad.

It's similar to the Chumps League squad rules iirc.

Its the impression I got from the O2 football news on my phone. Albeit, their write ups are very inaccurate alot of the time, but reading it again just now, they are giving the impression that the player do have to be under 21. If you are right, then it sounds a little better for all involved.

I've just seen BBC sport saying the same thing, but contradicting other reports on the same website.

I don't believe for one second any EPL side would have voted for only 17 players aged 21 and over in their squad, that's plainly ludicrous.

Paddy Kenny took Benylin (if a consummate professional with very good disciplinary records is to be believed) . Adebayor's antics caused a steward to get knocked out and could've incited a riot if the cops hadn't been spot on. Man takes Benylin, other man causes physical harm to an innocent party as a result of his actions. Are you stupid?

Take a deep breath, read this reactionary garbage back, then re-read my initial post. I said that comparing Paddy Kenny's situation with that of Adebayor is absurd, because the offences are so vastly different. You are agreeing with me, and then asking if I'm stupid. That's quite something.

:rollseyessmiley:

Take a deep breath, read this reactionary garbage back, then re-read my initial post. I said that comparing Paddy Kenny's situation with that of Adebayor is absurd, because the offences are so vastly different. You are agreeing with me, and then asking if I'm stupid. That's quite something.

:rollseyessmiley:

It's not reactionary. They are comparable if you think, possibly for a minute or two, that they should dish out punishments accordingly. I'm not saying people who take drugs shouldn't be punished but more that if you must insist on suspending someone for 9 months for taking Benylin then someone who's actions could've (and did in some quarters) provoked a very negative and dangerous response should also be punished in an appropriate manner. If you're agreeing that Adebayor should probably be charged by the Police and banned for 6 months or so then you aren't stupid.

Just to make things clear i don't think that they should be too harsh on him regarding the rake on Robin Van Rapey but they should make an example of him for his actions towards members of the public. They can't go preaching respect on the terraces and anti-racism if they aren't prepared to stretch the same punishment to those playing on the pitch as well. Whilst it is important that players are protected from the negative aspects of football support it is also important that members of the public are protected on it too.

There is a difference between celebrating a goal and doing something inflammatory. Adebayor did something inflammatory that could've turned out a lot worse than it did. If you don't understand that then i don't know what more i can say to make it any easier for you.

If you're agreeing that Adebayor should probably be charged by the Police and banned for 6 months or so then you aren't stupid.

Dunno if I read this right, but are you suggesting that Adebayor be banned for months because of "inflammatory actions"? Let's be clear, whatever the provocation was, had anything really serious kicked off in the stands, that would have been 100% the fault of the dicks in the stands....not Adebayor. As has been previously, and wisely, suggested...football "fans" are more than happy to dish it out, but behave like total dicks when it's turned on themselves.

However much of a dick Adebayor was on Saturday, his actions would only have been the indirect cause of any violence....the direct cause would have been the cunts in the stands who can't handle a bit of their own medicine.

What he did was certainly fucking idiotic, and for that he perhaps deserves somethng like a 2 match ban....but no worse IMO.

• Upvote 1

Dunno if I read this right, but are you suggesting that Adebayor be banned for months because of "inflammatory actions"? Let's be clear, whatever the provocation was, had anything really serious kicked off in the stands, that would have been 100% the fault of the dicks in the stands....not Adebayor. As has been previously, and wisely, suggested...football "fans" are more than happy to dish it out, but behave like total dicks when it's turned on themselves.

However much of a dick Adebayor was on Saturday, his actions would only have been the indirect cause of any violence....the direct cause would have been the cunts in the stands who can't handle a bit of their own medicine.

What he did was certainly fucking idiotic, and for that he perhaps deserves somethng like a 2 match ban....but no worse IMO.

Incitement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia