aberdeen-music

Favourite manufacture.

Leckie Gilman

Mine is good ol' Gibson.

I have a Les-Paul Special and it fucking rocks. Sounds amazing on distorsion. Well comfy aswell and light as fuck. Also Gibson make SG's which also kick so much ass and i reckon I'm buying me one of those next.

Fender come close methinks after having purchased a "Fat" Strat and the clean tone of the single coils is well smooth but Gibson beats it.

What do you think?

Guest scott cs.

i have a Peavy MileStone, tis pretty sweet - slim body, Jazz pickups and quite a narrow neck.

i'd love to have a MusicMan StingRay, thats my favourite bass ever. it has quite a fat sound and looks cool as fuck.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i rate fenders over gibson/eppys anyday, fenders have that lovely clean tone

as for pedals i have found the greatest distortion ever, the hughes and kettner warp factor, 100 bucks but its the best guitar/bass distortion i have come accross, so powerful and loud, when you turn the level on it down you lose no tone!supa

Are you joking?!? They weigh a ton!!

We've had a big argument about Gibsons before, the only one i've played was a heavy sunburst Gibson thing and it weighed a ton, but apparently you get wussy 'studio' (??) guitars which are very lightweight.....

My favourite make is Peavey, i've played most of the mainstream guitar brands and my favourite was the V-Type - it's very lightweight, and has two brilliant sounding humbuckers, and the choice of a proper Floyd Rose or string-through body... Not only that but it feels smaller so it's easier to navigate around the fretboard, and to top it off it looks sexy, with its smooth and sharp edges....

We've had a big argument about Gibsons before' date=' the only one i've played was a heavy sunburst Gibson thing and it weighed a ton, but apparently you get wussy 'studio' (??) guitars which are very lightweight.....

My favourite make is Peavey, i've played most of the mainstream guitar brands and my favourite was the V-Type - it's very lightweight, and has two brilliant sounding humbuckers, and the choice of a proper Floyd Rose or string-through body... Not only that but it feels smaller so it's easier to navigate around the fretboard, and to top it off it looks sexy, with its smooth and sharp edges....[/quote']

my les paul is the studio - the difference between it and the standard model is that the studio is still factory made, whilst the standard is hand made. but they still weigh a ton. i have, however, played an epiphone les paul which was literally about half the weight!

my les paul is about 9 years old though, so things may have changed nowadays.

Hmmm I am not sure what my favourite manufacturer would be. I own a PRS Santana SE2 just now as I am in love with the feel of it. Also its a great blend of Fender and Gibson styles however the more expensive PRS's with their carved tops and exotic woods/finishes don't really do it for me at all. I would really have to choose between Fender and Gibson...Tele and Strat or SG and Les Pail...I think it'll have to be Fender...the necks are great, they look great, versatile and very cool. Never really been a fan of the Les Paul but SG's are awesom.

Never been keen on fenders - not rock enough for me. I'd take one like, but not as my main guitar.

Gibson's are weird to me. they always feel funny - like the neck is too thick or something, but I get used to them quite quickly.

I've been playing a Charvel telecaster recently, and quite like the guitar even though it only cost 200. Quite a light guitar and with a fast neck. Once I put a humbucker in the bridge it sounds how I like it. However, I like the pickup selectors to be in the les paul position - you can change them faster - mid stroke.

I'd quite like to try out a Jackson Randy Rhoads V or a Peavey Wolfgang....

The difference between Les Paul standards and Studios isn't about them being handmade or factory made. The standard has a maple cap on the body, and binding round it. They new ones also have new pickups - the Burstbucker pickups as opposed to the 490T and 498T or whatever it was they had before, whihc the studios still use.

Craig

I don't know enough guitar manufacturers to answer the question.

The thing with gibson and fender, you MUST be paying a fair bit more for the name. I remember when I got my first guitar, a Godin. It was 400 and compared to strats of the same price its a very good guitar, played a similarly priced strat and it wasnt brilliant.

My brothers '73 les paul deluxe has amazing sustain and an overall beast of a tone. Oh yeah and it feels like, and is a solid lump of wood, outweighing any guitar I've ever held.

I love Gibson guitars and Fender basses.

I have 2 Gibson Les Paul Deluxes. One is from the 70's and the other is a reissue from 1999 I think. Both sound great and are pretty solid. The Deluxes have mini humbuckers which give a brighter sound to normal humbuckers and sound really nice when played with a clean sound, but they are still powerful when played with distortion. I like Fender guitars as well though. I have a 70's Strat which has a really nice clean sound, although when distorted its a bit buzzy. I really like Fender basses. I have a Precision which is a 60's reissue from the 80's I think. It has a really nice sound and feels good to play. Also very solid. I recently bought an old Squire Precision from Cash Converters and its really nice as well.

I don't know enough guitar manufacturers to answer the question.

The thing with gibson and fender' date=' you MUST be paying a fair bit more for the name. I remember when I got my first guitar, a Godin. It was 400 and compared to strats of the same price its a very good guitar, played a similarly priced strat and it wasnt brilliant.

[/quote']

I think you do pay for that name...but when you pay for the name you know you are getting quality so it can make it worth while shelling out that extra money. As for Godin I read that they produce the most guitars per year out of any manufacturer...the Solidac with piezio and other bits n bobs had me interested though I have never had the chance to play one.