aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Try sme of the speciality sandwiches, like the Mona Lisa or the Decadence. AMAZING. They are better than tits.

Upon your recommondation I just sauntered over during my lunch break. You've just given me something to look forward to every day (within office hours that is!).

Thankyou. :up:

(Nothing beats tits though!)

• Upvote 1

anyone been to that new place The City, on Netherkirkgate, where maggie's bistro used to be?

The City: Netherkirkgate, Aberdeen - Evening Express

was considering trying it out soon...

yeah this is where I was raving about the steaks....REALLY good! The chips are like massive jenga blocks and very tasty too

Just had bread and oils etc to start with an olive tapenade which again was delicious!

The owners used to do Morgans on Maret Street

I don't know if this is good or bad:

le-whif-415x275.jpg

The perfect snack for chocolate-lovers watching their weight has been released in shops if they can get their hands on it.

Le Whif is a calorie-free chocolate that, instead of eating, is inhaled. But it has already sold out after its launch this week and the team behind it is warning it will take months to meet demand.

Costing 9 for six, Le Whif inhalers are selling for more than double their value on eBay. Each unit has four inhales and several flavours are available. Customers place the gadget in their mouth and press. A fine chocolate powder is sprayed, giving the illusion of eating chocolate.

LeWhif.com

Hmm!

I just made pizza from scratch for the first time. Kitchen's a mess but it was so much better than just buying the bases and sauce from the supermarket.

Nice thin base, great sauce and then I covered it with mozzarella, anchovies, pancetta and olives. Yum.

Was going to take pictures but by the time I'd made the damn things I was starving.

I just made pizza from scratch for the first time. Kitchen's a mess but it was so much better than just buying the bases and sauce from the supermarket.

Nice thin base, great sauce and then I covered it with mozzarella, anchovies, pancetta and olives. Yum.

Was going to take pictures but by the time I'd made the damn things I was starving.

Sounds well fine!!

They do a good make your own pizza kit in Lidls. The base is mixed but uncooked and rolled, comes with a jar of sauce too...but you add your own toppings...it's huge too

I'm having a pampered Chef party on Saturday and they sell Stonebases for pizza etc, meant to be very good (not cheap tho)

Out of interest, what flour did you use?

If you make up a big batch of pizza dough you can keep it in the freezer for ages. Pretty handy stuff. The same dough can make a good ciabatta loaf. Mmm.

I fancy making my own pizza dough, I haven't a clue how though. I'd like to try baking my own bread as well.

My girlfriend is on at me to make chicken & white wine risotto this week, I made it before and it was delicious, I think the recipe is in this thread somewhere.

I fancy making my own pizza dough, I haven't a clue how though. I'd like to try baking my own bread as well.

My girlfriend is on at me to make chicken & white wine risotto this week, I made it before and it was delicious, I think the recipe is in this thread somewhere.

Basically, you use 1kg flour, a pinch of salt and sugar, a few spoons of olive oil, about 600ml of warm water and a couple of sachets of quick yeast. I've used that and it makes plenty that you can freeze and save up for another day. I reckon that particular recipe might be from Jamie Oliver, but they're all esentially the same. The important point is to use really fine flour - strong white bread flour does the job, or you can get that special Italiany tipo 00 flour.

Bread making is a piece of piss, especially if you have a food processor with a dough hook attachment. It's not even very time-consuming if you do it that way.

They do a good make your own pizza kit in Lidls. The base is mixed but uncooked and rolled, comes with a jar of sauce too...but you add your own toppings...it's huge too

That sounds like the same idea as the ready made base and sauce I've bought before from the supermarket. Trust me, making your own is much better.

I just used plain flour in mine. Here's the recipe from the EE (makes 2 decent sized pizzas):

For the dough:

150ml tepid water

1tsp sugar

15g fresh yeast or 2 teaspoons dried yeast

225g plain flour (plus extra for working)

1 1/2 tsp salt

olive oil

For the sauce:

1/2 onion finely chopped

1/2 clove garlic chopped

1/2 tbspn olive oil

200g plum tomatoes

2 tbspn tomato paste

salt and ground pepper

Crushed bay leaf

Oregano

(I also added some chopped basil as I've got a massive plant in my windowsill)

The instructions were a little vague but here's what I did: First I had dry yeast that needed to be activated, so I put the sugar and yeast in the jug of water, gave it a whisk then left it for 10 minutes. Then I sifted the salt and flour into a large bowl, made a well in the centre and poured the yeast mixture in the middle. I think you're supposed to add olive oil here, as it's in the ingredients list but never mentioned. I forgot. Then floured my hands and got mixing. Once it was all combined and was nice and dough like I washed my hands...

Now it was onto the kneading. Flour a work surface and get pounding the dough. After 10 minutes it should be smooth and supple. Place it back in the bowl and leave in a warm place, covered, until it doubles in size.

While it's rising you can make the sauce. Softly cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until it's nice and soft then I added the tomato puree and cooked that out a bit (top tip from Simon Rimmer on Something For The Weekend) so it's not so bitter. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, cover and simmer on a low heat until it's reduced to a thick sauce. At this point I whizzed it up in a blender and left it to cool while I dealt with the base again.

Preheat the oven to 260C or as close as you can get.

Lift up the dough from the bowl and then drop it back down and punch it to get some of the air out. Then divide it in two equal pieces and roll them into balls. Place on a floured surface and cover with 2 bowls for 20 minutes.

Flatten the dough gently with your fingers then pick it up and slap it down onto the surface to stretch it out a bit. Then gently use a rolling pin to spread it out to your desired size. Make it nice and thin as all the best pizza's should be. Place the on a lightly oiled mesh, spread the sauce on top leaving a 1cm gap at the edges. Tear off chunks of mozzarella, apply anchovies, olives, pancetta or your own desired toppings and then stick it in the oven until the edges are nice and golden brown. Shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 minutes and you're done.

Now this was pretty good but the underside of the pizza could've been better. I think next time I do it, in the absence of a pizza stone, I'm going stick a baking tray in the oven for 10 minutes before I cook them then put the pizzas on that when they go in the oven. Hopefully that'll act like a pizza stone and cook the bottom so it's nice and crispy as well.

Mmm might have to make pizza soon! yum!

On a seperate note....Now seen Take 5 & Papa Pizzas doing their stock shoppig in Lidls...see the take5 van there most mornings and saw Papas buying the BBQ Ribs (which are well fine btw) and potato salad in bulk...tsk tsk!