aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Totally. Try telling some people that though. I was cooking at christmas using my Mum's knives and they were all really blunt and kept slipping off what I was cutting. Was driving me mad but she didn't seem to get it when I told her that a sharp knife is safer because it won't bounce off an onion and chop your finger off.

To be fair, if it's too blunt to cut an onion then it's unlikely it would be able to cut through a finger...

If you are pressing hard enought ot try and cut the onion and it slips thats sharp enough to cut your finger :)

That pampered chef has knifes in individual covers, with built in sharpeners, so you sharpen every time you take it out. The only thing is with the covers they are quite bulky. The are quite expensive too. I really don't mind paying for good kitchen stuff tho worth it if you cook a lot.

To be fair, if it's too blunt to cut an onion then it's unlikely it would be able to cut through a finger...

Not true. That's why blunt knives are dangerous, they'll slip off the skin of a vegetable but will quite easily go through human skin. Guess it could be because the pressure is being directly applied to the onion but by the time it slips off then gets to your finger it's had a bit of a run up.

it always annoys me when people cant use a knife properly, just simply pushing down when your trying to cut something will only damage what you want to cut and you will prob end up slipping and losing a finger, it sounds silly but ive seen quite a few folk who dont know how to cut properly.

Do people on here bother sharpening their knives, if so do you use one of those silly gadgets or a steel?

it always annoys me when people cant use a knife properly, just simply pushing down when your trying to cut something will only damage what you want to cut and you will prob end up slipping and losing a finger, it sounds silly but ive seen quite a few folk who dont know how to cut properly.

Do people on here bother sharpening their knives, if so do you use one of those silly gadgets or a steel?

I do hand held gadget :) I always hide my knife specially the cleaver cause it could seriously chop off someone's toe if dropped - and people always have the urge to pretend chop someone and I get nervous in case by accident someone lifts their arm to defend and heeeeeeeyaaaaaaaaaachop......ouch!

I sharpen mine little and often using a steel. But for a long time I did use a silly little gadget that had two mini-steels criss crossing, so you put the blade in the v that they formed. Was supposed to be safer but it was just shit.

Like to keep my knives sharp enough to slice an onion with as little downward pressure as possible.

aye, 1.50 - 2.50 in supermarkets just now for a punnet, though they are ALWAYS listed as more but constantly "on offer"

I am in complete agreement with milner and chris... there is no substitute for a nice sharp knife, but getting used to using a steel resulted in cutting myself a few times :down:

aye, 1.50 - 2.50 in supermarkets just now for a punnet, though they are ALWAYS listed as more but constantly "on offer"

I bought a kilo of strawberries yesterday for the equal of 65p...and they were fresh from the field!

(then again, in a country where a kilo of apples is no more than 50p, I suppose it's no shock...)

I tried pizza express for the first time last night and it was pretty decent - 10 deal, dough balls with garlic butter, hot americano pizza and some wine, nae bad deal. Service was quite slow but they were quite busy. The waitress just found out she passed her degree so was very happy!

I tried pizza express for the first time last night and it was pretty decent - 10 deal, dough balls with garlic butter, hot americano pizza and some wine, nae bad deal. Service was quite slow but they were quite busy. The waitress just found out she passed her degree so was very happy!

Out of all the high street chains Pizza Express is about the best. Pretty consistent and the pizza's kick the shit out of Pizza Hut and Dominos.

Agree about the service. Could be faster sometimes.