aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

The flood in my and my upstairs neighbours' kitchens. Shite.

ive experienced that, i had poo under my kitchen cupboards, and had to put a notice on the other flats in the block to the effect of

'please refrain from deficating until the plumbers have left otherwise your monster loaf will end up on kitchen floor'

that was a bad day i must say

I've been having some bank trouble of late too.

If I go in to my bank over here I get better personal service than I ever have had in the UK. The kind of service I've always assumed old people were lying about getting. I have even on occasion gone into the bank and my personal account manager has already dealt with my problem before I've even arrived.

But a while back they convinced me to change to a new and better account and since then I've had nothing since trouble. It took at least a month before I could access online banking ofr the account. I've had problems with things like making transfers and the previously great account manager never has a clue and whenever I finally confront (by this I mean turn up in person politely rather than sending polite emails) her about a problem she tells me she sent me an email explaining everything, I must not have got it.

The hairdresser I had this morning. She kept wiping her comb and hands on the smock thing they put over you, which isn't really all that clatty I suppose (it's there's after all so it's not like she's wiping it on my clothes) but it still annoyed me. Then she kept blowing the loose hair away from my neck when she was trimming the back and I'm sure half the time she was spitting as well. She also tried to drown my in the contents of the water bottle or it seemed like it from the amount she was using. Oh and lastly she kept hitting me in the eye with her comb.

I also hate myself for still leaving a tip. Weak.

Yikes, which hairdresser?

Just one of the gents hairdressers in Banchory.

As for tipping, I never used to do it but then there was a number of discussions about tipping and it seemed like I was very much in the minority with hardly tipping anyone. I also noticed that a lot of other people left a tip and the place I go usually charges 9 so it's pretty easy to let them keep the 1.

To balance up this pet hate I should probably go post in the ace-ic thread about the guy who just gave me 1 for the car park when the machine refused my small change and I asked him if he had change of a 2 coin.

As for tipping, I never used to do it but then there was a number of discussions about tipping and it seemed like I was very much in the minority with hardly tipping anyone.

I found the easiest way to avoid the tipping quandary is to pay with your debit card. No obligation to tip, you're just paying the amount they've typed in the wee machine.

i have never tipped a hairdresser and generally hate the whole tipping thing. i will tip in restaurants if i've had good service and in a taxi if they're not racist hate filled arseholes but that's about it. why on earth would you tip your hairdresser? particularly in those barber places where they just sit you down and go as fast as possible.

I always tip the hairdresser. Always.

EDIT to add: I went out with one for two years, and they get paid terribly for the job they do.

I've never had a well paid job in my life, I don't get tipped and I've spent most of my life working in customer service. It's not the customers fault people are poorly paid. They advertise a price from the outset and that's the price I pay for that service, i hate the expectation that you should tip people for doing the bare minimum they should be doing anyway. If they go over and above what is generally considered good service then maybe then they would deserve a tip.

hard to see where a hairdresser can do that though, short of captainburritos happy ending.

Yes I agree, there is no moral or unspoken obligation to tip the hairdresser, but I always do. I always tip at restaurants and tip a good bartender (unless I'm just buying one or two beers or woteva), and a Chinese/pizza delivery guy.

Personal preference. I don't feel superior beause I tip or anything.

I feel superior because I am superior

It's pretty mad but you get used to it. General rule is 1 buck tip per drink. Pitchers are a bit tricky. You don't want to end up spending the same amount as you would if you just bought individual pints but u dont want to leave the barman in a huff. If u get particularly good service or you're just in for a quick drink during happy hour and the place is dead I'd give 2 bucks. As I say, its complicated and takes time to suss out.

Restaurants are 20% of the bill. Unless they include gratuity in which case they can get to Fuck. The weirdest thing for me was being asked 'do you need any change' in which case, no matter how much you've put down you look like a cheap cunt if you say yes. The best way to think about it is read the prices of things and add a couple bucks more in your head.

Tax is a whole other story. Nothing is the price its advertised which still confuses me. You can't go grocery shopping with a tenner and easily figure out how much you'll need at the till coz its always a bizarro number with tax.

It's pretty mad but you get used to it. General rule is 1 buck tip per drink. Pitchers are a bit tricky. You don't want to end up spending the same amount as you would if you just bought individual pints but u dont want to leave the barman in a huff. If u get particularly good service or you're just in for a quick drink during happy hour and the place is dead I'd give 2 bucks. As I say, its complicated and takes time to suss out.

Restaurants are 20% of the bill. Unless they include gratuity in which case they can get to Fuck. The weirdest thing for me was being asked 'do you need any change' in which case, no matter how much you've put down you look like a cheap cunt if you say yes. The best way to think about it is read the prices of things and add a couple bucks more in your head.

Tax is a whole other story. Nothing is the price its advertised which still confuses me. You can't go grocery shopping with a tenner and easily figure out how much you'll need at the till coz its always a bizarro number with tax.

That tax deal really fucking confused me when I first got to America last summer. It was okay in Oregon because everything was priced to include tax.

The tipping thing I pretty much did what you do, a dollar a drink and then 20% in restaurants. That was okay though because I only went to the local pub on 'Dollar Draft' night so I was only spending two dollars at a time.

That tax deal really fucking confused me when I first got to America last summer. It was okay in Oregon because everything was priced to include tax.

The tipping thing I pretty much did what you do, a dollar a drink and then 20% in restaurants. That was okay though because I only went to the local pub on 'Dollar Draft' night so I was only spending two dollars at a time.

Dollar draft?! Thats insane. Cheapest I've found in Manhattan is 3 dollar pints of stella and 4 dollar 24oz cans (massive) of Labbats. Beer and a shot seems to be the thing here which can be a pretty good deal coz you end up paying about 6-7 dollars for a beer and a huuuuge shot. I'm moving to Brooklyn this wknd so i'm looking fwd to cheaper drinks. That said, you can get pretty messy for not much here. Buybacks are awesome. It's basically an unwritten rule that if you buy 3-4 drinks/rounds at any bar you get a free drink from the barman.