aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

In non studentbastard talk, I tried to book my driving test at 12.30am, only to find that you can only book between 6am and midnight. What the bastard shit is that about? It can't be that hard to put an online form into a database during the wee sma' hours.

I tried again half an hour ago only to find that the booking system is undergoing maintenance between 6.30 and 10.30. Could they not have done it between midnight and 6am?

The Government and their IT providers are clearly all dicks.

In non studentbastard talk, I tried to book my driving test at 12.30am, only to find that you can only book between 6am and midnight. What the bastard shit is that about? It can't be that hard to put an online form into a database during the wee sma' hours.

I tried again half an hour ago only to find that the booking system is undergoing maintenance between 6.30 and 10.30. Could they not have done it between midnight and 6am?

The Government and their IT providers are clearly all dicks.

I think you'll find the booking system has a great union that is the envy of commerical booking systems.

Why on earth would anyone want to be a student politician? That's like combing two hated classes into one. You might as well get a part-time job as a traffic warden just to round yourself off nicely.

Are you kidding? A job? Most students look at me in disgust when they find out I have a job, then i get shit from them like "don't you GO out?" "aren't you in any sport clubs?"

No, because I have enough self respect to actually like myself and not need to get shitfaced with a bunch of strangers under the pretence of "girls football night out" so I can have self-worth.

I despise being a student, I hate the fact that every other bastard at uni seems to think that we're in some ace little club that means we're all friends and that I should want to listen to their bullshit.

• Upvote 1

My excuse for being shit with my coursework is a) I've been working around 40 hours these last few weeks and b) I need a shitload of sleep because of my epilepsy medication so late-nighters are a no no otherwise it takes me days to recover.

But yes, the whole not having anything done because they're wasted every day is annoying.

3rd year is going to suck.

Are you kidding? A job? Most students look at me in disgust when they find out I have a job, then i get shit from them like "don't you GO out?" "aren't you in any sport clubs?"

No, because I have enough self respect to actually like myself and not need to get shitfaced with a bunch of strangers under the pretence of "girls football night out" so I can have self-worth.

I despise being a student, I hate the fact that every other bastard at uni seems to think that we're in some ace little club that means we're all friends and that I should want to listen to their bullshit.

Your full of poo.

Pretty much every student I know has a part time job, a couple even have full time jobs. You are fully correct that the ones that are campaigning are, for the most part, tossers, however some of them are talking some sense and some of them are geniunely hard working, lovely people. I wont be voting (in the student election!) as I just don't care, although I know that equal opportunities and AUSA presidents have made a big difference to a lot of peoples academic lives. Furthermore, the only thing worse than students talking about how they hate students are tourists talking about how they hate tourists so just stop that.

Basically, I cannot ascertain what you do that makes you an exception to the student population from my own experience; other than people I know like to have fun playing sports in their spare time...

My excuse for being shit with my coursework is a) I've been working around 40 hours these last few weeks and b) I need a shitload of sleep because of my epilepsy medication so late-nighters are a no no otherwise it takes me days to recover.

But yes, the whole not having anything done because they're wasted every day is annoying.

3rd year is going to suck.

I feel stupid now, sorry.

I feel stupid now, sorry.

Not only do I work 40 hours a week at the moment, it is usually 30 hours, but my days off are spent cleaning the flat that I share with other students (only one of whom works) because they are too lazy to do it themselves. Their coursework gets left until the last minute and I am the one they turn to when their essays are due in - I proof read, help with referencing and even tell them which books are helpful for the topic they're studying.

When I'm working a 6.30am shift I have to wear earplugs because they are too selfish to not bang the front door shut and to not shout out drunken chants, even if it's during the week, and even then it doesn't block out all of the noise.

Yes, I hate students because I've never met such a selfish and inconsiderate bunch.

Those fuckers trying to get me to vote are the fuckers who keep me up late at night with their drunken chanting and 4am booty calls to lassys in the building.

I hate to disappoint or offend you but there's a reason people hate students. There's a minority who do work, but those are usually mature students. The younger students who do work are usually unreliable and always want weekends off so they can go off on trips with their sports club/society. I've only met one other student who puts her uni work and actual work first.

I am a student, lots of my friends are students. We are studying to get a degree and then a job. I don't feel as if I'm part of some grimy sub-culture. Should I?

Yes, you certainly should. Students are a disgrace these days. Any old cunt can get into University now. It's an excuse to act like a slut or an idiot and get a certificate at the end. Sounds like fun.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you certainly should. Students are a disgrace these days. Any old cunt can get into University now. It's an excuse to act like a slut or an idiot and get a certificate at the end. Sounds like fun.

Yeah, but I don't act like "a cunt". There's some ridiculous stereotyping in this thread. Idiots are idiots, regardless of whether they're in University or not.

IMO it all depends if you fall into the bracket of 'student' who tries to embrace the lifestyle of a complete tosspiece (late night parties, rugby shirts, drinking, not doing much coursework and wondering why you have so many re-sits, you fucking arse), or 'peson who goes to a further/higher educational establishment to proactively further themselves'.

I intend to be the latter come autumn, natch....

:up:

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but I don't act like "a cunt". There's some ridiculous stereotyping in this thread. Idiots are idiots, regardless of whether they're in University or not.

You may be perceived as one though...

Anyway, if the cap fits, wear it. If not, dry your eyes and get your nose back in that book you fucking swot.

This is what i was trying to get at. University has become a thing people do. Just because they do. Not because they are perusing anything they really want to do with their lifes and that tends to sum up the two extremes. Although there are people at uni for the right reasons but still absolute cunts.

Euan, your lovely:).

Pursuing.

Euan's lovely what?

Back of the class! ;)

This is what i was trying to get at. University has become a thing people do. Just because they do. Not because they are perusing anything they really want to do with their lifes and that tends to sum up the two extremes. Although there are people at uni for the right reasons but still absolute cunts.

Same thing goes for any gene pool anywhere in t'world though: there are folk at my work for the right reasons (to earn a crust), but are still absolute cunts. It's a harsh life lesson.....

Not only do I work 40 hours a week at the moment, it is usually 30 hours, but my days off are spent cleaning the flat that I share with other students (only one of whom works) because they are too lazy to do it themselves. Their coursework gets left until the last minute and I am the one they turn to when their essays are due in - I proof read, help with referencing and even tell them which books are helpful for the topic they're studying.

When I'm working a 6.30am shift I have to wear earplugs because they are too selfish to not bang the front door shut and to not shout out drunken chants, even if it's during the week, and even then it doesn't block out all of the noise.

Yes, I hate students because I've never met such a selfish and inconsiderate bunch.

Those fuckers trying to get me to vote are the fuckers who keep me up late at night with their drunken chanting and 4am booty calls to lassys in the building.

I hate to disappoint or offend you but there's a reason people hate students. There's a minority who do work, but those are usually mature students. The younger students who do work are usually unreliable and always want weekends off so they can go off on trips with their sports club/society. I've only met one other student who puts her uni work and actual work first.

I appreciate and respect you but I must say that is complete wank. In my opinion it is the minority - of my friends and acquaintances at least - that don't work and sit around all day. I have to get work of every so often to play gigs I'll admit, but the rest of my Monday to Sunday is so packed up that I feel I can justify having some fun. Indeed, I turn down playing football a couple of times a week because I am working or have coursework or lectures to to brush up on, in fact today I let my team mates down mby not playing in our important last match of the season because I am at university to get a good degree and at least attempt to improve my employability. In fact, I have been in the library from ~9am - 10pm all of this week (whilst working split shifts throughout the day) to get coursework done that I havn't quite had the time to do and wont have time to do this weekend due to other committments. This is why "student bashing" offends me: because I feel like I work my fucking balls off and rarely have time to sit down and take a break.

I suggest you look for new accommodation or complain about your flatmates, they sound totally shit.

Disclaimer: I do sometimes watch the tele or play the x box...

Like a belt-sander to the helmet: dry and abrasive. I'm a marmite.

Fair play! I have to admit, I like your style, I just think you're wrong about students. The majority have career aims and work hard, amongst all the drinking, etc. It's just that brief encounters with a small number of people taint peoples views. Ain't fair, boohoo etc.

Can I work at your bit? I need more hours atm :p I've probably stalked you loads of times, I'm back working at a cafe about 30 seconds from where you work again....

I was 18 when I started uni yet I've had one day off work in 3 years, and that day I was barely even able to get out of bed! So yes their are some of us who work and don't go out getting pissed every night ;) Although I will happily admit I'm not a hardcore studier, last minute revision works fine atm. Although I know I will have to work harder on intercalated Bsc next year :(

Hillhead is a nightmare noise wise. I stayed on the ground floor of Burnett and everyone who walked past drunk from the hole knocked on the window or even if they didn't the path was right outside my window so the noise woke me up soo many times.

Apathy ftw. I don't give a shit about student council elections, and thankfully cos we're based at Foresterhill, people rarely turn up to harass us either.