aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Colleagues who don't know the difference between creating a shortcut to a shared document, and creating a copy, and only working in that copy, for months and months, until they realise "Hey, wait a minute, why is this document filled with only my entries?"

MONTHS!

Not the same thing, but yesterday I noticed that a work colleague had a "show desktop" shortcut on their desktop.

• Upvote 2

No word is offensive in itself, what offends is the intent behind it. So me slapping my old pal on the back saying "you're a good cunt" is not offensive, but me staring a stranger in the face and shouting "cunt!" would be.

Likewise -

Yeah she isnt a lesbian, im just using dyke as an abusive term towards her.

is clearly offensive, because Mr Milner wants it to be. And it could be said that by believing that someone would be offended by referring to them as homosexual when they are not implies that Mr Milner himself thinks it must be a bad thing. That could be considered homophobic.

Not the same thing, but yesterday I noticed that a work colleague had a "show desktop" shortcut on their desktop.

I once worked in an office with the manager of the company, and he would regularly announce that he was 'forwarding an email' to me. He would then get up, go to the printer to fetch the email he had just printed, and walk to my desk to hand it to me.

The manager.

Haha, that's great.

I hate it when I'm super busy and I'm calling a guy about something and he says "I'll just forward you that email now, hold on."

He then expects me to STAY ON THE PHONE FOR TEN MINUTES until he finds it and sends it on to me with a "okay, that's it sent through now, bye!"

Excuse me mate, but our conversation could have finished after you had told me your intent was to forward me that email. So much of my day wasted by cunts like him (yeah, I did it), when really I just want to get back to watching old Dons goals on YouTube.

• Upvote 2

Maybe the reaction to the use of the word dyke as a potentially homophobic insult,  while saying nothing when people freely use the word cunt could be seen as a double standard? If dyke can be taken to mean that homosexuality is bad then cunt can definitely be taken as an insult to women.

From a quick google of "cunt"

"Catherine MacKinnon argued that use of the word acts to reinforce a dehumanisation of women by reducing them to mere body parts; and in 1979 Andrea Dworkin described the word as reducing women to "the one essential - 'cunt: our essence ... our offence'"

All insults are demaning to someone. It's funny what people choose to be offended by....

Thank you. Its amazing how quickly the usual lot have jumped down my throat over that, yet they themselves will use equally as insulting terms towards other people. Yes it may have been a wrong word to use, i was extremely angry at the time of posting, i dont think its any worse than the abuse i read on here towards people, but im not part of the clique so i get it. 

No word is offensive in itself, what offends is the intent behind it. So me slapping my old pal on the back saying "you're a good cunt" is not offensive, but me staring a stranger in the face and shouting "cunt!" would be.

Likewise -

is clearly offensive, because Mr Milner wants it to be. And it could be said that by believing that someone would be offended by referring to them as homosexual when they are not implies that Mr Milner himself thinks it must be a bad thing. That could be considered homophobic.

How does the old line go, "im not homophobic, i have gay friends".

I dont care if anyone thinks i am actually homophobic, im pretty sure one word in one post doesnt indicate that, but if you want to go down that route feel free.

Out of interest tho, is Dyke ever used in a good way? I cannot ever remember the word being used in a good way. I dont really care about the homophobic side of it, i just used as an insult, you could have replaced it with "cunt" or "stupid bitch" it really wouldnt have mattered. Of course it would have to those who love to be that guy. 

The difference is...dyke is almost always used as a demeaning slur against lesbians. It's not used to refer to someone as simply a "stupid bitch." The reason it's deemed insulting is becasue you're demeaning them by implying they're homosexual. And, in the way you worded it, it definitely read that you were annoyed at a lesbian in your work.

It's pretty much the same as if you said "There's this fucking nigger in my work..." and then in your next post said "Oh, he's not black, I just used it as an insulting term." Would you ever do that? I doubt it.

And people weren't really calling you a homophobe, they were pointing out that complaining about racism while using homophobic insults is pretty hypocritical.

• Upvote 1

AGFW strikes again...

Created a simple web form for submitting stuff to a database. It has a few validation things, like checking you enter something in every filed, your email address is valid etc.

So I asked AGFW to do something "wrong" on the form to check the validation all works.

So he...entered a date of Birth...that wasn't his actual date of birth.

Oh ma fuckin' heid.

• Upvote 6

Assholes who phone out of the blue with marketing shit. The usual doors and windows shite is annoying enough but about a year ago some guy called me up offering me their guide to world commodities trading. I told him I wasn't interested but in the end to get him off the phone I allowed him to send me the guide in the post. I got the guide and a follow up call later in the year and I told him I wasn't interested in the slightest as I didn't have any spare cash to trade in world commodities. Assumed that would be the end of it.

Well a guy (could be the same guy) called Ben from this same place just cold-called me to tell me the 2014 guide is now out and to check my address was still the same etc. The conversation went a bit like this:

'Yes, that's still my address but I'm not interested in the guide to be honest.'

'Oh, do you not trade anymore?'

'No, I never did.'

'So you've never had any stocks and shares?'

'No'

'Thats funny, it says here that you did. You must have lied previously - that makes sense.'

What a prick. If I wasn't at work and in an open plan office I wouldn't have just let that one to but I just laughed at him and hung up. Fucking twat.