aberdeen-music

An open letter to the staff of the Belmont Picture House

Panda Strong

At no point have I said I've ever shouted or been aggressive or abusive towards a customer, I just refuse to be polite to a customer who's been a dick in the same way I would be to a customer who's been perfectly nice.

well, "you put in what you get out" was the basic message I am feeling...perhaps the example was a little too strong, apologies for that...but as I say, a downward spiral if you're going play tit for tat with a grumpy customer. (nes pas?)

so...you were mellow, polite and nice back to this cretin shit head...

not quite the same as dropping to the same level of input from the woman, which is apparently what some people think is the correct response to a twat in a shop / public space.

I hope she felt like a real Charlie.

She ended up apologising to me in tears.

I'm not above resorting to being sullen and arsey with customers if they're rude, but more often than not I'll tell them manners don't cost a penny and watch them squirm. When I was working in a resturant a few months ago I found that making a shitty customer look like a tool in front of their date/coworkers/friends resulted in big tips. Fun times!

I agree too (the people should say please and thank you) - but it doesn't work like that.

a customer has the "right" to be a fuck head - and it's your job to be as nice to them as possible (and then they might realise they are being a fuck head).

If you go off on a teen strop because someone doesn't say "please or thank you" - GET OUT OF THE FUCKING JOB and deal with the Private sector. You are on a hiding to nowhere if you expect Joe Public to be as nice as they should be!

it's not going on a strop, as swingin' ryan has stated, i have only ever been pushed to be rude by one customer ever, when he was very drunk at 7.45am, convinced he could buy booze at this time on a sunday. i was feeling terrible at this point having had an incredibly awful sleep amongst other personal reasons. this guy then proceeded to hurl torrents of abuse at me after i calmly informed him that he, no, he could not buy a bottle of vodka at 7.45 on a sunday morning.

some of it was stuff i hadn't heard since i was bullied for years at school and i didn't think i should have had to dealt with something like this. oh yeah, then he tried to swing a punch at me as well.

are you honestly telling me that i should have remained calm and polite to this fuckhead? i am always polite and calm whenever i serve anyone, but i don't feel i should be treated like some sort of mechanoid devoid of human feeling. if someone can't use manners, as far as i'm concerned they don't deserve any from me - there's one woman in particular who when i first served her, i smiled, asked how she was today and whether she had a good day: i got no response. she looked up at me blankly and carried on putting her shopping away as if i didn't exist. why should she deserve politeness after that? it's not throwing a strop, it's just being polite and expecting something back in return, just a response is all i would like back.

perhaps it doesn't help that i work in a place notorious for cunty customers and shoplifters though, ha!

it's not going on a strop, as swingin' ryan has stated, i have only ever been pushed to be rude by one customer ever, when he was very drunk at 7.45am, convinced he could buy booze at this time on a sunday. i was feeling terrible at this point having had an incredibly awful sleep amongst other personal reasons. this guy then proceeded to hurl torrents of abuse at me after i calmly informed him that he, no, he could not buy a bottle of vodka at 7.45 on a sunday morning.

some of it was stuff i hadn't heard since i was bullied for years at school and i didn't think i should have had to dealt with something like this. oh yeah, then he tried to swing a punch at me as well.

are you honestly telling me that i should have remained calm and polite to this fuckhead? i am always polite and calm whenever i serve anyone, but i don't feel i should be treated like some sort of mechanoid devoid of human feeling. if someone can't use manners, as far as i'm concerned they don't deserve any from me - there's one woman in particular who when i first served her, i smiled, asked how she was today and whether she had a good day: i got no response. she looked up at me blankly and carried on putting her shopping away as if i didn't exist. why should she deserve politeness after that? it's not throwing a strop, it's just being polite and expecting something back in return, just a response is all i would like back.

perhaps it doesn't help that i work in a place notorious for cunty customers and shoplifters though, ha!

you see, a bit of context always helps a situation.

from "earlier posts" it all seemed that we were talking about "grumpy staff"...

if you're getting feichies asking for vodka at 7.45 on a sunday morning, then throwing punches, it's a tad different to being a bit miffy to someone who won't say please or thank you!....

I'd have given him the bottle....IN HIS FACE, *CUNT*, *BASH*, *FUCK YE*....and, calllm.

me, I am all about manners, and I try to be a cool cucumber if someone's being a bit of a cock. but, if someone's having a go - I'd walk away (rightly so!)...get a manager in - they are paid more to take abuse (and should have been on an assertion training course or de0escalation).

it's not worth it in the end.

but, I thought we were talking about humphy people, not psychos.

you see, a bit of context always helps a situation.

from "earlier posts" it all seemed that we were talking about "grumpy staff"...

if you're getting feichies asking for vodka at 7.45 on a sunday morning, then throwing punches, it's a tad different to being a bit miffy to someone who won't say please or thank you!....

I'd have given him the bottle....IN HIS FACE, *CUNT*, *BASH*, *FUCK YE*....and, calllm.

me, I am all about manners, and I try to be a cool cucumber if someone's being a bit of a cock. but, if someone's having a go - I'd walk away (rightly so!)...get a manager in - they are paid more to take abuse (and should have been on an assertion training course or de0escalation).

it's not worth it in the end.

but, I thought we were talking about humphy people, not psychos.

aye, i know, extreme example, but that kind of thing does happen quite a lot to a lesser degree, constant abuse for simply not being uber-super-hyper-duper-ace friendly to them.

but still, i do reserve the right to not be entirely cool and calm if someone has absolutely no manners at all (it's not simply to people who don't please and thank you), as i said earlier, just basic human responses is all i ask for :)

aye, i know, extreme example, but that kind of thing does happen quite a lot to a lesser degree, constant abuse for simply not being uber-super-hyper-duper-ace friendly to them.

but still, i do reserve the right to not be entirely cool and calm if someone has absolutely no manners at all (it's not simply to people who don't please and thank you), as i said earlier, just basic human responses is all i ask for :)

when i worked in one up, a few years back, this woman came into the shop on a busy day or evening leading up to christmas, she walked up to the desk and asked if we had ever heard that song with sharleen spiteri and peter kay? We said yes, but told her that we didn't have the single in stock. She then asked if she could listen to it, we told her that unfortunately she couldn't because we didn't have it in stock. She then asked if she had a solo album, we checked, no, she never, we politely told the customer that unfortunately we didn't as there wasn't one actually out or even recorded, she then asked if she could see it, and then asked to listen to it AGAIN, this went on for 15 minutes or so. The whole thing just became ridiculous, and a customer behind her was like "excuse me, take your business downstairs, the staff down there are a lot less pretentious and will be more willing to help you".

I mean, what the hell was the need for that? There was no album...

The whole event was just so funny and reminds me of all the crazy people I met from working there over the years.

Ahhhhhh.....simpler times.

when i worked in one up, a few years back, this woman came into the shop on a busy day or evening leading up to christmas, she walked up to the desk and asked if we had ever heard that song with sharleen spiteri and peter kay? We said yes, but told her that we didn't have the single in stock. She then asked if she could listen to it, we told her that unfortunately she couldn't because we didn't have it in stock. She then asked if she had a solo album, we checked, no, she never, we politely told the customer that unfortunately we didn't as there wasn't one actually out or even recorded, she then asked if she could see it, and then asked to listen to it AGAIN, this went on for 15 minutes or so. The whole thing just became ridiculous, and a customer behind her was like "excuse me, take your business downstairs, the staff down there are a lot less pretentious and will be more willing to help you".

he he...ace. We used to get one twat in trying to buy every single from the top ten that week, then try to take them back the next week (the ones that'd dropped out) and said that they were damaged when he bought them...but, when he'd ask for a tune, we'd feign ignorance and get him to hum it, or sing it - every week. (I think this is a classic pastime in a local record shop)...

or the spotty, druggie ravers that would grunt at you to "skip it on" through their pile of 43 "all the same" mokum, gabba and happy hardcore 12" - when we were in diamond street, you could have a nice wee break round the back "looking" for 12"s - "I am so sorry, I am afraid I can only find 10 out of the 30 records you want to [listen to and not] buy today"

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying in this thread, I tend to find that if you are super nice to a customer who is an absolute prick then the results are a lot more satisfying. From experience, I tend to find that if I purposefully act a tad grumpy to a prick of a customer then, as sad as it sounds, I kind of feel like they have won. There's a good chance that they only came in to provoke a reaction from you anyway, so why give them that satisfaction? Also, when a bastard customer brings me to that level, sometimes I feel like my nose has been put out of place and it shakes me up a little which can reflect poorly on the way I deal with the next customer.

I understand that it's not applicable to every situation but if you can remain calm and composed with these people then they will go away feeling like arseholes and you won't feel like crap for letting a prick get under your skin. I mean, at the first whiff of a personal insult I usually ask the person to leave the premsis anyway, but it's fun to make them look like complete and utter tosspots in front of other people.

• Upvote 2

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying in this thread, I tend to find that if you are super nice to a customer who is an absolute prick then the results are a lot more satisfying.

It depends on what manner you respond to them. If your just grumpy back to them, that's no fun, I like to try and get a sarcastic comment in if possible that veers on the edge of jokey, but is just irritating enough to piss them off.

Some recent examples

Customer - Why does nobody in this place seem to know what they're doing?

Me - This is the first day of our Young Offenders placement scheme and we haven't finished our training.

Customer - 6 Pounds for a bag of fucking pick and mix! Is there lead in some of these sweets?!

Me - No but the density of the rat poison sticks on about a quid.

These kind of transactions are the only thing that gets me through the day.

Guest treader.
It depends on what manner you respond to them. If your just grumpy back to them, that's no fun, I like to try and get a sarcastic comment in if possible that veers on the edge of jokey, but is just irritating enough to piss them off.

Some recent examples

Customer - Why does nobody in this place seem to know what they're doing?

Me - This is the first day of our Young Offenders placement scheme and we haven't finished our training.

Customer - 6 Pounds for a bag of fucking pick and mix! Is there lead in some of these sweets?!

Me - No but the density of the rat poison sticks on about a quid.

These kind of transactions are the only thing that gets me through the day.

hahahahahaha. that's ace.

he he...ace. We used to get one twat in trying to buy every single from the top ten that week, then try to take them back the next week (the ones that'd dropped out) and said that they were damaged when he bought them...but, when he'd ask for a tune, we'd feign ignorance and get him to hum it, or sing it - every week. (I think this is a classic pastime in a local record shop)...

or the spotty, druggie ravers that would grunt at you to "skip it on" through their pile of 43 "all the same" mokum, gabba and happy hardcore 12" - when we were in diamond street, you could have a nice wee break round the back "looking" for 12"s - "I am so sorry, I am afraid I can only find 10 out of the 30 records you want to [listen to and not] buy today"

hahahaha.

know that feeling all too well.

it was always a pleasure having absolute headcases singing what was number 1 that week to you.

Are you talking about the customer who would come in and just ask for the single numbers, not the actual song?

a conversation would go:

him- "i want singles number 1, 4, 8, 11, 14, 23 and 27."

me - "...ok, what are those?"

him - "I have no idea"

me - "right...any ideas what they go like?"

and the hilarity started, every monday, 9 in the morning.

I remember when I still worked in Boots, one Christmas we had this God awful customer who was really really rude. She didn't explain herself properly at the till and I guess she thought we were mindreaders and wouldn't listen to answers.

But she gave us a laugh when she turned round and said "Do you know who I am?! I'm one of the owners of Jimmy Chungs!!" Because that was clearly going to make some sort of a difference. o_O

I remember when I still worked in Boots, one Christmas we had this God awful customer who was really really rude. She didn't explain herself properly at the till and I guess she thought we were mindreaders and wouldn't listen to answers.

But she gave us a laugh when she turned round and said "Do you know who I am?! I'm one of the owners of Jimmy Chungs!!" Because that was clearly going to make some sort of a difference. o_O

hahahaha. thats ace.

reminds me of a time i got started on when i was standing on union street waiting for the nightbus home. This loudmouthed geordie guy walked passed shouting, i turned and looked at him, he saw me and came back and started shit with me, i told him i didnt want any trouble, he walked off, he turned saw me looking at him again apparently, came back and started on me again, this time i laughed in his face, he said, and i quote "Do you know who I am? I could have you murdered!", I just told him to piss off and to stop bothering me.

This went on for a good 5 minutes, him walking back and threatening me. Good times.

• Upvote 1

hahahaha.

know that feeling all too well.

it was always a pleasure having absolute headcases singing what was number 1 that week to you.

Are you talking about the customer who would come in and just ask for the single numbers, not the actual song?

a conversation would go:

him- "i want singles number 1, 4, 8, 11, 14, 23 and 27."

me - "...ok, what are those?"

him - "I have no idea"

me - "right...any ideas what they go like?"

and the hilarity started, every monday, 9 in the morning.

he he.....could well have been him! (playing his own games!)...

was he from "up north" ? (peterhead, if I remember correctly?)

fred told him to "fook off" once...I think that lasted for a week...

• Upvote 1

"Do you know who I am?! I'm one of the owners of Jimmy Chungs!!" Because that was clearly going to make some sort of a difference. o_O

Triads? or is that a gross over characterisation of Chinese people?

(you don't sleep below a slatted celing, and noticed any odd bits of string hanging down have you?)

you were dicing with death there... ho ho.

I was a fitba referee for seven years. Don't recommend it. If we're talking abusive customers, getting called everything under the sun, being threatened on a regular basis and occasionally attacked, then I have some stories to tell.

I'm proud to say, however, that I never resorted to swearing back at players. Not on the pitch anyway. I've drunkenly told a few exactly what I think of them in town....

It is vital in any job to keep your cool and class in every situation. You simply cannot be rude as a retort. It can be tough, but then that's why you get paid...

Love from Christy

Triads? or is that a gross over characterisation of Chinese people?

(you don't sleep below a slatted celing, and noticed any odd bits of string hanging down have you?)

you were dicing with death there... ho ho.

Yeah, fuck messing with Mrs Chung, you would end up in the chow mein by tea-time, along with the seagull.

i'v managed a wee music shop for nearly 2 years now and i have seen and delt with alot of rude characters. i'v never once lost my temper with anyone though, i find it far more helpful professionally to just bite my lip and get on with it. if i ever do have to make a stand about anything i do it calmly and in full knowledge that i'm totally in control of the situation. i won't treat them as they have treated me i'll just pound them with information and statistics until they feel stupid. so i just keep in mind that "business is business". besides i honestly dont think i have it in me to be a dick to customers, i'v been treated like a dick in so many music shops growing up i just dont think anyone deserves the same treatment.

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild
I was a fitba referee for seven years. Don't recommend it. If we're talking abusive customers, getting called everything under the sun, being threatened on a regular basis and occasionally attacked, then I have some stories to tell.

I'm proud to say, however, that I never resorted to swearing back at players. Not on the pitch anyway. I've drunkenly told a few exactly what I think of them in town....

It is vital in any job to keep your cool and class in every situation. You simply cannot be rude as a retort. It can be tough, but then that's why you get paid...

Love from Christy

The man speaks the truth.

And you were a fine referee, actually.

I mean, what the hell was the need for that? There was no album...

The whole event was just so funny and reminds me of all the crazy people I met from working there over the years.

Ahhhhhh.....simpler times.

Jesus Christ - I remember that, I was in the queue behind them!

well to be honest I've found that customer facing staff within Aberdeen in general to be a bit crappy compaired to other cities.. to be fair there are helpful staff out there in Aberdeen but there is a larger percentage of cheeky/depressed/unhelpfull/tiredofthierjob/c**ts out there working in Aberdeen. Is it the fact we have so many rich(ish) oil workers/their kids etc that they don't need to get the sale they just expect it. i don't know why but shopping etc in Aberdeen is just pretty crap. It just seems to be getting worse really.

To mention the Belmont I've had good experiences there and truly bad ones.. most of the bad ones were technicals faults to be fair.. The staff in general are good tho.

As for retail/customer facing jobs. which I've had a fair few of and most have been at management level. The customer is always right, always try to help them to the best of your ability as they are the c**ks that are essentially paying your wages. Without them where would you be? The nicer you are to them the quicker you get rid of them, and they will probably be nicer the next time they come back.

I also agree about the Vue. It needs to close for a few days and actually do some decent cleaning. I doubt I'd actually eat anything there, i've complained a few times about kids not meant to be there and just general shit things going on like missing 10 minutes of a film due to an error.. Manager (s) always come up with some excuse and never seem to actually sort it out. Oh and guys if your reading this make sure the focus on your projectors are actually spot on. It's like watching a film with beer goggles, without the benefits. :)

Maybe a complaint from myself and a few other movie goers to Vue H Q might get a few bums moving at Shiprow..?