aberdeen-music

An open letter to the staff of the Belmont Picture House

Panda Strong

Well, fuck individuality that makes somewhere stand out from the crowd and independent businesses that pursue the aforementioned.

That said a grumpy bugger is a grumpy bugger and should never be taken personally but sometimes this is preferred to corporate indifference.

I can bet an arse or two has been slapped though.

Kilau for president!

I think it would probably be more appropriate to disclose your concerns and complaints to the management in the businesses you appears to have grievances with. Airing dirty laundry in this forum is not a way to constructively criticise the proletariat (who are people with feelings apparently) it will only serve to alienate you from the users who share opposing opinions to yourself. Your comments in this thread are tantamount to a crass tabloid daily's slur campaign and help nobody; least not yourself.

By using big words like proletariat, tantamount and laundry I can see you are one of those annoying studenty types the other guy was talking about clickity clackiting on their laptops. I bet you're the lanky bastard with the glasses that likes to pump out loud techno on sat nights aren't you!

By using big words like proletariat, tantamount and laundry I can see you are one of those annoying studenty types the other guy was talking about clickity clackiting on their laptops. I bet you're the lanky bastard with the glasses that likes to pump out loud techno on sat nights aren't you!

Don't forget the hairband....

I like this but I wish poo bear or whatever his name is would come back!

Did you not ask for it to be turned down?

I'm interested in hearing about your 'long line of shitty behaviour' in Kilau. Although by the looks of things, you're in the habit of attracting bad attitude.

Kilau is my wee haven, wrote most of my dissertation there and the staff have changed the music from sappy emo stuff to cheesy party stuff when I was moping after a row with an ex. Sometimes get the feeling they think they have a 'cooler than thou' attitude but that can be said about anyone who works in a independant company or bar in Aberdeen. My only gripe about the place is the price, it's a bitty expensive for a bog standard coffee shop, but like I say, it's independant there's not really another place like it so I don't mind.

I think the cooler than thou thing comes hand in hand with independantly owned businesses. Mostly because the training is different to big companies and you don't get mystery shoppers or any one constantly watching your back all the time. So you can be a bit moody at times when you may get the odd arsehole and because you don't have to be false and put on the "I'm here to help" attitude.

Generally when I serve any one who is remotely nice I go out of my way to give good customer service. Some people just want to come in order and drink and leave. And I'm cool with that too. I hate when people are forced to ask you how your day was etc. However if you're a difficult arsehole I don't see why I should really go out of my way for you. And i think that this goes for a lot of places. I'm not saying its a good thing. But because its not a big company where there are so many people above you and a head office in london who see you as a number, I feel there is a little more temptation to be... well normal.

Sounds like the things you could do in your house.

Cheap coffee, music, a place to write a dissertation, no staff to annoy or distract you. Sorted.

when you're a coffee snob... cheap coffee aint always good coffee. We have a 1,000 Racillio and grind all coffee to order. Something you don't get in any coffee shop I've been to in Aberdeen. AND we have exclusive kilau K2 coffee beans. But if you don't like coffee then I guess Nescafe is always an alternative.

I really like Kilau. It's an absolute haven after 6/8pm when most of the other coffee places shut and you want to stay out but really can't be arsed with the pub. AND they got a second Scrabble board. See. They care.

And their Hot Chocolate is the best.

Ha Ha second Scrabble board. If we really like you you can even borrow the other 2 scrabble boards up the back that are reserved for friends and family. AND if you come in often enough and we learn your name you get 10% discount and the odd free coffee. Just ask Alan Cynic and Big Bouma.

when you're a coffee snob... cheap coffee aint always good coffee. We have a 1,000 Racillio and grind all coffee to order. Something you don't get in any coffee shop I've been to in Aberdeen. AND we have exclusive kilau K2 coffee beans. But if you don't like coffee then I guess Nescafe is always an alternative.

I dinna like coffee full stop, so I don't even touch that Nescafe shite. :up:

Cooler than thou attitude you say, surely not.

Ha Ha second Scrabble board. If we really like you you can even borrow the other 2 scrabble boards up the back that are reserved for friends and family. AND if you come in often enough and we learn your name you get 10% discount and the odd free coffee. Just ask Alan Cynic and Big Bouma.

I promise not to deface the letters to turn them to my advantage. :up:

"No, Scrabble sets always have four Z's, give me my bajillion points."

I think it would probably be more appropriate to disclose your concerns and complaints to the management in the businesses you appears to have grievances with. Airing dirty laundry in this forum is not a way to constructively criticise the proletariat (who are people with feelings apparently) it will only serve to alienate you from the users who share opposing opinions to yourself. Your comments in this thread are tantamount to a crass tabloid daily's slur campaign and help nobody; least not yourself.

This is brilliant!

I think the cooler than thou thing comes hand in hand with independantly owned businesses.

Hmmm... I can't say i've encountered the cooler than thou attitudes back in Glasgow. Maybe the attitude is more apparent on the east coast.

Hmmm... I can't say i've encountered the cooler than thou attitudes back in Glasgow. Maybe the attitude is more apparent on the east coast.

Nah, i think you've just led a pretty sheltered life by all accounts. You just have to walk into shops like Urban Outfitters etc and that sort of attitude is present in gay abandon.

The staff at Kilau are all nice enough folks. The service in my experience's has always been with a smile and the food is nice. I have no complaints.

Staff in shops in Aberdeen are largely pretty approachable and easy going. You should try going out and about in some European cities and a bit further afield if you want to experience attitude problems.

Guest treader.

yeah, you could have loaves named after local celebrities, like that episode of Seinfeld where there are different types of "people" sandwiches:

The Alan Cynic. It would be a deep fried mealie pudding stuffed inside a coarse, grey loaf. comes with a side of denim jacket.

and the Panda Strong loaf could be like...generally nice enough but complains a lot. Comes with free Braid CD.*

*I'm aware this post is not very good, or funny.

If it's going to go all Kilau then I want to know about this 'New Kilau' malarky. Is it a new shop, a second shop, a bigger shop? Where, when?

I probably could have written my dissertation at home but to be honest I like typing away in public. Yes, it looks pretentious as hell, but if I work at home I get distracted by the CDs, DVDs or computer games. I'm weak.

Cooler than thou attitude certainly goes hand in hand with independant businesses. Having worked for independant bars, shops and restaurants around Aberdeen, I can definately see that. Although I did have an interview at Kilau once and got the distinct impression that they were looking for a certain kind of person, all the interview questions were things like 'what kind of biscuit would you be' and what my highest score in Scrabble was.