aberdeen-music

Orange Unsigned Act

Justin

Maybe, just maybe, if Aberdeen bands entered these things with the intention to win - then maybe things would start happening beyond the same old tired "WE'VE RELEASED A 7" SPLIT SINGLE LIMITED TO 500 COPIES ON SOME RANDOM RECORD LABEL IN SUPPORT OF OUR TOUR WITH X NAME BAND" that seems to happen constantly.

If you think that is a 'tired' way of doing things, fair enough, you are entiltled to think that.

The truth of the matter is, not that many bands press records (especially up here, I can only think of 4 or 5 who have done a seven inch in recent times, and off the top of my head only one that did a split, possibly two if Filthpact did). The notion that putting out your own record and touring is 'tired' baffles me. A contest on television would have far less impact on real world success to Aberdeen's 'scene', i would put forward that Aberdeen would be regarded in higher thoughts by A+R, record lables, agents etc...if there were alot more bands willing to release their own records/a small Aberdeen label releasing plenty of records and bands working hard on touring, making an actual name for the city.

I'm also not going to poo-poo the idea of entering such a contest regardless of my feelings on them, its a personal choice after all. And im sure most people would hope an Aberdeen band did well out of it if they did reach the televised stage of the contest.

Also for the record, there are a few bands at the moment from up here attracting good label interest, they have all put out their own stuff or had small labels do it for them and work hard at touring, none have entered any contest to make this happen so you can believe me when i say that people do know this city exists, its just alot easier to sign a similar band from London or Glasgow :up:

Who is saying that the band wouldn't win? It's quite possible that with some savvy management on behalf of other bands, an Aberdeen band that won the competition could propel other bands into the limelight as a result.

Going by this theory, the band that won last years show was called Envy and Other Sins. How many people can actually say they know this band, where they are from and now listen to other bands from that area due to their success?

Not many i reckon.

No Cloud, music is not about popularity, it is about artistic expression. Fuck sake.

Really?

How many venues, promoters and artists can go on without any form of popularity?

You can sit there and pretend that you're "all about the art" - but who would want a band to play if they were unpopular enough to have people leaving the venue or not turning up out of sheer dislike for them?

Likewise, what venue is going to welcome back a band if they're massively unpopular and do nothing for bar sales? It's just not going to happen - even if you think you're all about artistic expression, you'll still change and adapt for popularity reasons.

Yes Cloud you're absolutely right' date=' we should all just sit on our fucking arse and enter as many competitions as possible, and not bother to actually do things off our own back, y'know, like play shows and stuff? It's totally boring when bands release things and go on tour isn't it? It's even more boring when said releases are promoting said tours! I fucking hate bands who release things and tour! It's all about the competitions? Y'know, like why work at a job when you can WIN THE LOTTERY!!!!! IT COULD BE YOU!!!![/quote']

Congratulations. You managed to spectacularly and completely miss the point :) Quite impressive actually, seeing as you spent quite a few lines managing to be so wide of the mark as to not even be funny.

What's wrong with seeing competitions like this as being part of a promotional package? You want fame and fortune (let's face it, all musicians do...how many would turn down a life changing amount of money and fame for the sake of artistic expression? Hardly any.), then you exploit every single opening available to you.

And actually, if you knew anything about marketing whatsoever, you'd probably understand that competitions like this encourage people that like the band to get others to vote for the band, creating the oh-so-desired viral effect that's a trademark of modern society.

But don't let a bit of common sense get in the way!

If you think that is a 'tired' way of doing things' date=' fair enough, you are entiltled to think that.

The truth of the matter is, not that many bands press records (especially up here, I can only think of 4 or 5 who have done a seven inch in recent times, and off the top of my head only one that did a split, possibly two if Filthpact did). The notion that putting out your own record and touring is 'tired' baffles me. A contest on television would have far less impact on real world success to Aberdeen's 'scene', i would put forward that Aberdeen would be regarded in higher thoughts by A+R, record lables, agents etc...if there were alot more bands willing to release their own records/a small Aberdeen label releasing plenty of records and bands working hard on touring, making an actual name for the city.

I'm also not going to poo-poo the idea of entering such a contest regardless of my feelings on them, its a personal choice after all. And im sure most people would hope an Aberdeen band did well out of it if they did reach the televised stage of the contest.

Also for the record, there are a few bands at the moment from up here attracting good label interest, they have all put out their own stuff or had small labels do it for them and work hard at touring, none have entered any contest to make this happen so you can believe me when i say that people do know this city exists, its just alot easier to sign a similar band from London or Glasgow[/quote']

Cheers for the rational response, it's much more interesting to hear.

I think it's a tired way of doing things, because it seems to be the same old same old - Aberdeen based bands follow the same path, usually to nowhere, though as you say, it does generate some interest. It does seem a particularly Aberdonian trait to really charge fowards, do some tours that get people talking, then start to fade into obscurity - and I think someone, anyone needs to break that mould.

You are completely right though, if more bands actually made an effort to do things up here (rather than riding the equally tired wave of popularity from their mates), then good things would definitely follow. Any success on the back of television is likely to be short lived and not sustainable - but I feel, at least at the minute, Aberdeen based bands should be doing as much as possible to get exposure, regardless of where it's coming from.

To be fair though, my 'tired' rant is more towards bands throughout the UK that do the same thing, and it even happens here - a friend of a friend's band is massively popular in Poznań, they attract a decent crowd wherever they go here, yet they are very much a Poznań band and don't play in Warsaw or Berlin.

I just think, that for success, you have to be open minded about all avenues available. Contests like these, well...if something happens out of it, great, but it's no great loss if it doesn't.

You know...it's a shame there's no local record label that's really releasing stuff at a prolific rate - Fat Hippy is still going on, but..it would be great if something with a real imagination and desire decided to really take things forward. It only takes one person, after all.

Really?

How many venues, promoters and artists can go on without any form of popularity?

You can sit there and pretend that you're "all about the art" - but who would want a band to play if they were unpopular enough to have people leaving the venue or not turning up out of sheer dislike for them?

Likewise, what venue is going to welcome back a band if they're massively unpopular and do nothing for bar sales? It's just not going to happen - even if you think you're all about artistic expression, you'll still change and adapt for popularity reasons.

Congratulations. You managed to spectacularly and completely miss the point :) Quite impressive actually, seeing as you spent quite a few lines managing to be so wide of the mark as to not even be funny.

What's wrong with seeing competitions like this as being part of a promotional package? You want fame and fortune (let's face it, all musicians do...how many would turn down a life changing amount of money and fame for the sake of artistic expression? Hardly any.), then you exploit every single opening available to you.

And actually, if you knew anything about marketing whatsoever, you'd probably understand that competitions like this encourage people that like the band to get others to vote for the band, creating the oh-so-desired viral effect that's a trademark of modern society.

But don't let a bit of common sense get in the way!

Cheers for the rational response, it's much more interesting to hear.

I think it's a tired way of doing things, because it seems to be the same old same old - Aberdeen based bands follow the same path, usually to nowhere, though as you say, it does generate some interest. It does seem a particularly Aberdonian trait to really charge fowards, do some tours that get people talking, then start to fade into obscurity - and I think someone, anyone needs to break that mould.

You are completely right though, if more bands actually made an effort to do things up here (rather than riding the equally tired wave of popularity from their mates), then good things would definitely follow. Any success on the back of television is likely to be short lived and not sustainable - but I feel, at least at the minute, Aberdeen based bands should be doing as much as possible to get exposure, regardless of where it's coming from.

To be fair though, my 'tired' rant is more towards bands throughout the UK that do the same thing, and it even happens here - a friend of a friend's band is massively popular in Poznań, they attract a decent crowd wherever they go here, yet they are very much a Poznań band and don't play in Warsaw or Berlin.

I just think, that for success, you have to be open minded about all avenues available. Contests like these, well...if something happens out of it, great, but it's no great loss if it doesn't.

You know...it's a shame there's no local record label that's really releasing stuff at a prolific rate - Fat Hippy is still going on, but..it would be great if something with a real imagination and desire decided to really take things forward. It only takes one person, after all.

*throws up all over self and bangs head against wall*

Looks like someone has conceded defeat in the face of vastly superior intellectual opposition.

Seriously, why bother replying if you don't have anything constructive to say? Don't bother wasting bandwidth..just...don't bother.

That doesn't sound like a constructive reply to me, boasting about your supposed intelligence? I don't really see the point in replying to you 'constructively' anymore, as you just come out with terrible lines such as 'You want fame and fortune (let's face it, all musicians do...' - if shit like that is amongst your thinking, there's no point in even beginning to be reasonable. I'd rather spend my time doing constructive things. Maybe you could spend yours entering some competitions or something? I always get emails through about the Ugandan lottery and suchlike, so there's plenty out there for you to have a go at.

That doesn't sound like a constructive reply to me, boasting about your supposed intelligence? I don't really see the point in replying to you 'constructively' anymore, as you just come out with terrible lines such as 'You want fame and fortune (let's face it, all musicians do...' - if shit like that is amongst your thinking, there's no point in even beginning to be reasonable.

So, pray, tell me...how many musicians don't want it? How many kids are taking up playing an instrument for the love of the art, I wonder?

Arguably, every release, every gig, every forum post made in the name of a band is all in aid of attaining popularity. Hence, back to my point that every musician is ultimately after fame and fortune - if the opportunity presented itself.

Who, deep down, wouldn't want to play in front of an adoring crowd? The exact nature of the crowd is up for debate and everyone has their individual choice - but I think very few people would actively enjoy staying at the low level if the opportunity presented itself to do bigger and better things.

So, pray, tell me...how many musicians don't want it? How many kids are taking up playing an instrument for the love of the art, I wonder?

Arguably, every release, every gig, every forum post made in the name of a band is all in aid of attaining popularity. Hence, back to my point that every musician is ultimately after fame and fortune - if the opportunity presented itself.

Who, deep down, wouldn't want to play in front of an adoring crowd? The exact nature of the crowd is up for debate and everyone has their individual choice - but I think very few people would actively enjoy staying at the low level if the opportunity presented itself to do bigger and better things.

Pray, tell me...how many musicians DO want it? I mean, what a stupid thing to say. What am I meant to answer with? A number? 73,240 musicians? Individual names and addresses? I think you're a complete idiot if you think that the majority of children to pick up musical instruments do so in order to attain fame and fortune. They'd be better off becoming a serial killer for the former, work in the oil industry for the latter. Easier ways, dude. People begin to play musical instruments because they like music. It's F U N and I N T E R E S T I N G.

People can play gigs and release things because it's F U N and I N T E R E S T I N G and C O N S T R U C T I V E. Also, popularity and fame/fortune are different things. Gary Glitter currently has fame but he's not very popular. O B V I O U S L Y if lots of people like your music, that's a pretty good thing, but that shouldn't be at the forefront of your plans as soon as you start making music, it's not natural otherwise, it's just a product.

That's me finished, I'm not going to reply to you anymore, so please don't bother asking questions.

"want" is the word to think about here

im sure people could handle being famous and all of the like, but generally a lot of musicians don't care about it enough to enter competitions and routes of exploitation

Totally, while most folks wouldn't turn down a wad of green i'm sure most don't have it at the forefront of their minds. I for one play music for enjoyments sake and for the social aspect of it along with the music itself.

I dunno if i'd say i'd never consider doing one of these things but it isn't one of my personal goals.

Cloud, you're so off the mark it's not funny, and you also seem to have a severe case of celebrity obsession. The media has infused you with this false belief that the only life worth living is that of greatness, stardom, spotlight and that anyone remotely connected with these concepts, no matter how far down the line, is actually trying to realise them. I for one would like simply to make some decent music, maybe compile it into an album, and hopefully entertain or inspire a few people. It's very difficult to make good music that ten people want to listen to, let alone 40 million or whatever astronomically stupid number it is you have in mind.

Life is shit, life is tough; there are no quick roots to success and happiness, despite our cultural trend to worship anything that came from rags to riches. So please fuck off and let me be content with my small-minded, earthly ambitions that happen to give my life the real, long-term value and interest that comes of hard-work and determination, not some burning lust for popularity and telly appearance.

• Upvote 1

Can we just have Cloud put down? I would put him on my ignore list, but every time he posts, someone will quote him.

Is it really that difficult to simply ignore someone's posts if you don't like what they say?

Cloud' date=' you're so off the mark it's not funny, and you also seem to have a severe case of celebrity obsession. The media has infused you with this false belief that the only life worth living is that of greatness, stardom, spotlight and that anyone remotely connected with these concepts, no matter how far down the line, is actually trying to realise them.[b'] I for one would like simply to make some decent music, maybe compile it into an album, and hopefully entertain or inspire a few people. It's very difficult to make good music that ten people want to listen to, let alone 40 million or whatever astronomically stupid number it is you have in mind.

So in other words, you're aspiring to popularity. Will you be truly happy with a few people, once you create your masterpiece, or will you aspire to more? I don't believe you, or in fact the vast majority of people when they say that they'd be truly happy playing to a few people - I think everyone, deep down, would love to see their ego massaged by bringing their own work to the masses.

I think this particularly applies to anyone that enjoys and creates art that isn't mainstream.

Cloud, you're so off the mark it's not funny, and you also seem to have a severe case of celebrity obsession. The media has infused you with this false belief that the only life worth living is that of greatness, stardom, spotlight and that anyone remotely connected with these concepts, no matter how far down the line, is actually trying to realise them. I for one would like simply to make some decent music, maybe compile it into an album, and hopefully entertain or inspire a few people. It's very difficult to make good music that ten people want to listen to, let alone 40 million or whatever astronomically stupid number it is you have in mind.

Life is shit, life is tough; there are no quick roots to success and happiness, despite our cultural trend to worship anything that came from rags to riches. So please fuck off and let me be content with my small-minded, earthly ambitions that happen to give my life the real, long-term value and interest that comes of hard-work and determination, not some burning lust for popularity and telly appearance.

haha - what a fucking geek.

• Upvote 1

Do you or have you ever played an instrument Cloud?

To be fair Jim, both you and i know that doesn't matter in the slightest. That's not to say i agree with him though ;)

Does kinda matter given the stance on 'his' understanding and perception of learning and instrument and the motivations behind wanting to be in a band and perform.

Just curious to see if he knows from a personal level or if it is simply an observation.

I will edit and add that his entire argument doesn't really matter.:up::up: