aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

anyway speaking of gear, anyone any experiance of leads and jacks?

I was making leads at the weekend and my fingers are scarred to bits with the solder iron! lol

I was thinking that maybe to save the bother I should get some of these George L cables? Apparently they are solderless.

Heard mixed reviews on this and in my opinion A lead that isn't soldered is a problem when you gig as 9 times out of 10 its going to fail. Just my opinion but I think leads should be soldered to the jacks.

Anyone on this forum used these types of leads and jacks and whats their thoughts?

I think maybe in a rack where they are fixed it might be worthwhile giving it a try but I need convinced. I noticed there isn't really a price difference on them compared to buying normal instrument jacks of good quality and decent cable

totally agree.

I like buying gear, I don't really have the money to do it, but when I do, I love it.

I remember once getting really upset when I was younger because I never thought that I would be able to own any sort of bass amp, and I would never be able to afford another bass.

Now I have 4 basses and a great amp and cab set up and I wouldn't change them for the world.

Mesa Boogie is the shnizz

Same here, I remember my first electric guitar was a vester (fender copy) strat and i had a sovtek practice amp. I saved for 2 years to get myself a jackson guitar that was 500 or something like that. I was on a YTS apprenticeship wage which was 35 a week of which i saved a tenner every week for that guitar. I still have it. Same with my amp. I saved for ages to get a hughes and kettner attax 80. I still get the same buzz I had back then when I try gear I like and buy it.

I still have to save up if I want something, If i had my way I would be out spending and selling the clothes on my back to get anything music related but the better half keeps it in line and lets me off the leash about every 3 months.

I still remember last year trying to sneak 2 Bogner cabs into the house hoping she wouldn't notice as it was only a month after I bought the Roadster!! lol

• Upvote 1

I was making leads at the weekend and my fingers are scarred to bits with the solder iron! lol

I was thinking that maybe to save the bother I should get some of these George L cables? Apparently they are solderless.

Heard mixed reviews on this and in my opinion A lead that isn't soldered is a problem when you gig as 9 times out of 10 its going to fail. Just my opinion but I think leads should be soldered to the jacks.

Anyone on this forum used these types of leads and jacks and whats their thoughts?

I think maybe in a rack where they are fixed it might be worthwhile giving it a try but I need convinced. I noticed there isn't really a price difference on them compared to buying normal instrument jacks of good quality and decent cable

My experience (lots).... leads will fail regardless of what you pay for them, and they will do so when you least expect it, best to buy decent quality for the job in hand and check them before every gig, be rough with them, its better they fail at sound check than half way through the big opening number....

Same here, I remember my first electric guitar was a vester (fender copy) strat and i had a sovtek practice amp. I saved for 2 years to get myself a jackson guitar that was 500 or something like that. I was on a YTS apprenticeship wage which was 35 a week of which i saved a tenner every week for that guitar. I still have it. Same with my amp. I saved for ages to get a hughes and kettner attax 80. I still get the same buzz I had back then when I try gear I like and buy it.

I still have to save up if I want something, If i had my way I would be out spending and selling the clothes on my back to get anything music related but the better half keeps it in line and lets me off the leash about every 3 months.

I still remember last year trying to sneak 2 Bogner cabs into the house hoping she wouldn't notice as it was only a month after I bought the Roadster!! lol

hahahaha.

Not that its an issue anymore, but my parents still don't know I have my 8x10.

I lived at home with them when I got it but I could never take it home because they would have just flipped out, plus there would have been no where to keep it in my house.

In my 2 years of owning it, its never seen my house. Its spent its life living in practice places, drummers houses, in the back of a van, in the tunnels etc.

I make my own cables too. Cheaper that way and very easy to fix should something go wrong.

Scott and I recently made a bunch of custom length leads for my rig. I considered George L's which are apparently fine for stuff which is gonna be permanent, but in the end bough a bunch of Neutrik jacks and Cordial cable (as recommended by peter Diezel himself!)

Thought I'd be useless at that whole soldering malarky but Scott showed me how to do it and it's pretty easy if you have the tools.

Here is the stuff I got: (researched it thoroughly before buying)

CORDIAL CGK 175 SW - U.K. International Cyberstore

NEUTRIK NP 2 X-B - U.K. International Cyberstore

NEUTRIK NP 2 RX-B - U.K. International Cyberstore

I use Planet Waves cables, have served me well so far.

What's the other benefits of making your own cables? how do you go about doing that?

It's very easy, you just need the parts, a soldering iron and a bit of knowing where goes where. Piece of piss really.

I make Y split cables, so use microphone cable. works a treat.

I use Planet Waves cables, have served me well so far.

What's the other benefits of making your own cables? how do you go about doing that?

2 main advantages.

1) it's a lot cheaper. (so if you need loads of cables it's worth doing)

2) you can cut them to your own size. This is useful for people with complex rack based rigs where you want as little as possible extra cabling floating around everywhere.

Planet waves cables are great in my experience. ALL my cables outside my rack are planet waves, and unless you're planning on a a huge rack, it's worth sticking with planet waves cables... unless you have the knowledge and equipment to help you solder stuff together, in which case go for it.

Scott and I recently made a bunch of custom length leads for my rig. I considered George L's which are apparently fine for stuff which is gonna be permanent, but in the end bough a bunch of Neutrik jacks and Cordial cable (as recommended by peter Diezel himself!)

Thought I'd be useless at that whole soldering malarky but Scott showed me how to do it and it's pretty easy if you have the tools.

Here is the stuff I got: (researched it thoroughly before buying)

CORDIAL CGK 175 SW - U.K. International Cyberstore

NEUTRIK NP 2 X-B - U.K. International Cyberstore

NEUTRIK NP 2 RX-B - U.K. International Cyberstore

Soldering is usually easy but I had no-one to help with holding the jacks and cable so numerous burns and blisters later!

I need to get some kind of clamp thing for my workbench to hold them

It's very easy, you just need the parts, a soldering iron and a bit of knowing where goes where. Piece of piss really.

I make Y split cables, so use microphone cable. works a treat.

I need to make some custom length power supply leads, For my voodoo labs pedal powers. Any idea's what best cable there is for these?

I know, Seems I should sell it to please people and get myself a Roland Cube or something :D

I don't care if some folk don't like other folk with expensive gear. I have worked hard to get it and I am obsessed with buying gear and building rigs. The bigger the better I say :D

In all honesty I am better at building rigs than guitar playing but it won't stop me buying and playing gear whether its expensive or not. When I was 18 I used to dream of owning Mesa Boogies and stuff like that.

here here brother.

I remember watching TOTP's and seeing Marc Bolan playing a Gibson Les Paul. I though gee I would like that. So now that I'm working and earning a reasonable wage I have 3 les pauls, and 3 other Gibbos to go with other 15 guitars....and I only play Ramones (the real simple ones mind you). People should be made to feel bad about owning several quailty guitars or amps just because they don't perform in public all the time or whatever. Saying that, when I play out I usually use my 250 quid melodymaker (great guitar sound for what I need) and 1x12 combo.

I made my own cables between my guitar and pedals and between my pedals and my amps. I just bought some Van Damme cables and

I have George L's on my board and they're very good for pedalboards, easy to put together too.

Planet Waves are good but seem to be quite pricey these days. I got my mate to buy Van Dammes which are cheaper and just as good

Why would it be ironic anyway to use a 5k rig for band practices?

A lot of people act like its taboo. I don't see the problem if i did. I have a lot of gear and want to use it as much as i can. If i take my Diezel and a Bogner cab to a band practice thats a 3.5k rig so there isn't that much of a difference.

Or is this me being frowned upon by people that slate other musicians for using expensive gear?

Should the same apply to guitars? Should you practice with a 2.5k les paul custom or should you practice with a 100 westfield les paul copy as its just for practice

I don't see the problem and its my gear so if I want to use it for a practice then I would. I have a good job that pays for my obsession and I have a very understanding better half that encourages me to buy gear I want. I would still buy it even if I didn't earn a penny out of playing.

We've been through this before and the ones who think it's "wrong" to use expensive gear invariably turn out to be arsey student types who have never done a day's work in their lives and therefore don't have the means to buy themselves a beautiful piece of equipment.

As has been said, it usually boils down to gelosy/jelosy. ;)

My initial comment wasn't really that it was ironic (I would do it if I had the gear - and aspire to in the future) or that I was jealous (well I was, but only in a "OMG I'm tots jealous of his rigz" way). It was the fack that Mesa can't produce a preamp in 4ks worth of amps that is better than a wee practice amp wprth 250 bucks. I did think it was a little bit of overkill just for practice, but you could easily use that for gig and as you've stated you will.

• 2 weeks later...

My 'gear':

Fender Japanese '62 reissue tele; it plays beautifully, but the stock pickups are really nippy in the upper mids - I might replace these with Kinmans or Bareknuckles. Apparently making your guitar sound like a mouse with the runs is 'vintage'.

Epiphone SG (piece o' shit)

Orange AD30 (single channel - damage)

Boss TU-2

SPF Greenline Overdrive

BYOC Triboost

Boss DD-20

I'm actually between cabs at the moment, but I have the borrow of an Orange 4x12 if I need it.

Things I would like:

2x12 cab with vintage 30s or blue alnicos.

A decent trem.

Some sort of looping device that isn't total horse.

• 2 weeks later...