aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

apparently the shire went a bit nuts at the ref on Saturday. They hit disciplinary 90 points this season. I hope we have them on the first game of the season :D

Nah... Elgin City in Elgin pleazzz :up:

That is if Caley aren't playing Ross County or Queen of the South that day :down:

I know this is sooo a few days ago but, I just watched the Lafferty/Mulgrew video. What on earth was he thinking? No good could ever come from diving like that. It's not as if he was ever gonna get away with it and not cause an uproar. Footballers really are stupid. I'm glad the Scottish and English leagues clamp down on that sort of bullshit, unlike a lot of other leagues where it happens more frequently.

Although I'm not a fan of using video replays in-game, I'm all for using video evidence to throw the book (retrospectively) at cheats like Lafferty.

When the case is as cut-and-dried as that one the offending player should be on the receiving end of a big suspension, have a big fine equivalent to several weeks pay (money goes to a charity of the victims choice) and award the game to the team who were cheated.

With so much at stake in modern football you have to make the punishment huge to remove the incentive to cheat in that way.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Although I'm not a fan of using video replays in-game, I'm all for using video evidence to throw the book (retrospectively) at cheats like Lafferty.

When the case is as cut-and-dried as that one the offending player should be on the receiving end of a big suspension, have a big fine equivalent to several weeks pay (money goes to a charity of the victims choice) and award the game to the team who were cheated.

With so much at stake in modern football you have to make the punishment huge to remove the incentive to cheat in that way.

Yes.

Give the points to Aberdeen and remove the 3 points from Rangers, possibly losing the league for them. That would really teach the cheating fucker. His own fans would hate him too. MASSIVE incentive not to be a little cheating cunt.

Yes.

Give the points to Aberdeen and remove the 3 points from Rangers, possibly losing the league for them. That would really teach the cheating fucker. His own fans would hate him too. MASSIVE incentive not to be a little cheating cunt.

Sounds good in theory, but in reality it would never happen as the Huns would go to court, there would be all sorts of conspracy theories etc.

Bang on the money. I'm really, REALLY against the idea of in-game video replays for reasons that have been discussed by other people here already, but something needs to be done to stop utter cockends like Lafferty cheating like that again. He's an absolute disgrace to himself, the league, and the sport in general. Hope he gets hammered for it.

MASSIVE weekend for the Toon coming up. Not sure if I can bear it. Fergie's gonna put out a massively weakened team against Hull and I fancy them to possibly grab a point at least, and even though Villa have an absolute bobbins as of late, I'm not sure if we have enough in our arsenal to beat them. I don't know if I'll be able to watch/listen to the game; I'll probably end up going for a walk down the beach after work instead, unless I can cobble together a few like-minded individuals.

That said, it would be so fucking sweet if both us and Hull managed to win, sending the Mackems down... :p

To be fair Newcastle only have themselves to blame. They've had 37 games before this.

Why would Ferguson risk any of his top players in a meaningless game?

I think the criticism was justified when he did it in the FA Cup semi final, as that wasn't a meaningless game, but the league is wrapped up, he can field whatever team he wants. Regardless, it's going to be a good team and I still think it could tear Hull apart who are just useless at the moment. These players aren't playing for nothing. They are going to want to prove they are worthy of sitting on the bench in the CL final. They're also going to want to try and prove they are good enough to not get shipped out over the summer.

I can't imagine who could possibly play centre back though. Eckersley probably, but I doubt Evans will.

I think the criticism was justified when he did it in the FA Cup semi final, as that wasn't a meaningless game, but the league is wrapped up, he can field whatever team he wants. Regardless, it's going to be a good team and I still think it could tear Hull apart who are just useless at the moment. These players aren't playing for nothing. They are going to want to prove they are worthy of sitting on the bench in the CL final. They're also going to want to try and prove they are good enough to not get shipped out over the summer.

I can't imagine who could possibly play centre back though. Eckersley probably, but I doubt Evans will.

Hull played great at weekend. Man U's reserve squad were good enough to win the league cup but I think Hull are going to give a great fight. Besides their best performances this season have been against the big teams (Arsenal in October, Liverpool in Dec, Man U in October, Chelsea in Feb). I think there is points to be had. Unfortunately, I think there is for Newcastle too as Villa have been poor lately.

bets for weekend

------------------------

sunderland to finish in bottom 3

dundee utd to beat rangers

phil taylor to beat merv king

inverness to beat falkrik

Got a Yankee & an acca

12 investment between the two with potential return of 600+

shot in the dark and all that

I've predicted Sunderland to go down for months now. I really hope so.

Hull played great at weekend. Man U's reserve squad were good enough to win the league cup but I think Hull are going to give a great fight. Besides their best performances this season have been against the big teams (Arsenal in October, Liverpool in Dec, Man U in October, Chelsea in Feb). I think there is points to be had. Unfortunately, I think there is for Newcastle too as Villa have been poor lately.

I think it'll be a much different side to the one in the League Cup final, which still had alot of big guns. I can't imagine there being many big guns this time around. Maybe Park Ji Sung, Fletcher (since he can't play in the final). Fingers crossed for one of the Da Silva's too. Love those little guys. Could even be Ben Amos in goal as Foster is out and Fergie won't want to go into the CL final with a youth keeper as a subtitute if that Koolshack gets injured.

To be fair Newcastle only have themselves to blame. They've had 37 games before this.

Why would Ferguson risk any of his top players in a meaningless game?

If there's anyone in football who holds a grudge longer than Alex Ferguson then I hvae yet to meet him.

He tried signing Shearer twice and was turned down. Twice. In Fergie's mind, nobody should ever turn him down. He will take great pleasure in Hull winning and relegating the 'codes.

And he'd probably send Keegan a text with a wee smiley afterwards as well. :up:

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Ferguson compares O'Shea to Irwin...

To my mind John is one of the unsung heroes like we had when Denis Irwin was here

Now, my memory may be failing me, but wasn't Denis Irwin a first team regular for about a decade at United, and I don't really think he was an "unsung hero" as such. If I was Denis Irwin, I wouldn't really like this comparison.

Don't get me wrong, O'Shea is a decent, hardworking, honest professional, but he's nowhwere near as good as Irwin.

On a massive side note, does anyone remember that flying tackle/assault on Denis Irwin in the 90s in a European match? Can't remember what teams were involved, but the "tackle" was like something out of Karate Kid, and Irwin's leg bent halfway between the knee and ankle, it was horrible. Unbelievably his leg didn't break, and unbelievably the guy didn't get red-carded. His manager subbed him whilst Irwin was receiving treatment.