aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Dear Football

Please can a prohibition be put in place against anyone in a football ground or anyone watching a football match in a public place shouting the word "Handball!". Over the past 4 or 5 years, the situation has worsened, and now any contact with the ball that isn't a foot or a clear hands down header is followed by a yell of those two grating syllables. Even a control on the thigh or a block with the chest releases an almighty roar from half a stadiums worth of clueless botters. A good honest block of a shot is now accused of being a handball and it is almost infuriating. Sit down. Shut up and don't say anything unless it's the words to a football chant. A handball in the box in the top flight is rarely given these days, so shut up. Just shut up.

Thanx

On this note, I went along to see Inverurie Locos thrash Fort William on Saturday. Late in the game, one of the Fort defenders was sent off for a handball after a whole two Locos players gave the shout.

I was right in line with it, and it clearly hit his thigh. The linesman was next to me, so must have seen it too, and the referee was in no kind of position to see it (crowd of players in the way), yet managed to give the penalty/red card. Boo.

I fucking hate those scummy cheating cunts with their red hand of ulster flags and their orange scarves GTF!!! :swearing:

walking back to the bus some ned infront chanting "northern ireland" wtf has that got to do with the footy!?

Aye, the cunt with the red hand at the front of the stand to our left looked about 16 as well. Just an attention seeking wee ned.

The chants of "Who's the fenian in the black?" when Bougherra got sent off were a nice touch as well, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Just watched the video of the Lafferty incident as I missed the football at the weekend.

What a fucking knob. He should be given a massive ban and fined a shitload of money. It's the only way these cheating little scrotes will learn.

Same with diving cheats. Why don't refs dish out more bookings for diving? You see refs waving claims for fouls away, and telling players to get up. Just show them a yellow card and if they do it again, give them another one and send the little fuckers off, and not before giving them a hefty kick in the nuts to send them on their way.

I fucking hate those scummy cheating cunts with their red hand of ulster flags and their orange scarves GTF!!! :swearing:

walking back to the bus some ned infront chanting "northern ireland" wtf has that got to do with the footy!?

It fucks me off as well. There was a boy I went to school with who is a Rangers fan as well, and he was well into the Red Hand/Orange March/Union Jack waving/Protestant v Catholic side of it, he was a cunt.

It fucks me off as well. There was a boy I went to school with who is a Rangers fan as well, and he was well into the Red Hand/Orange March/Union Jack waving/Protestant v Catholic side of it, he was a cunt.

Celtic fans are almost as bad, look at that tube with the IRA flag last week.

Just watched the video of the Lafferty incident as I missed the football at the weekend.

What a fucking knob. He should be given a massive ban and fined a shitload of money. It's the only way these cheating little scrotes will learn.

Same with diving cheats. Why don't refs dish out more bookings for diving? You see refs waving claims for fouls away, and telling players to get up. Just show them a yellow card and if they do it again, give them another one and send the little fuckers off, and not before giving them a hefty kick in the nuts to send them on their way.

It's why video refereeing needs to be introduced like many many other sports have done. Rugby, Cricket, Hockey, Baseball, Tennis... Come on. Get with the program. What is the purpose of the 4th official otherwise? He has the technology there to review incidents. Why can't this be implemented?!?

It's why video refereeing needs to be introduced like many many other sports have done. Rugby, Cricket, Hockey, Baseball, Tennis... Come on. Get with the program. What is the purpose of the 4th official otherwise? He has the technology there to review incidents. Why can't this be implemented?!?

Because it apparently "slows down the game". :down:

It doesn't slow down other sports that much and if it means that awful decsions such as those on saturday are eridicated then get it done.

It must be great seeing the refereeing rota and realising you're on 4th official duty. Sitting down, doing fuck all but watching the game and occasionally holding up the board for subs and time added on. Cushty. :up:

Thing is - I don't agree with you. All the convtroversy adds to the excitement of the game. We probably wouldn't be slating Lafferty quite so much as we are now if he'd been yellow carded for being a twat. We'd probably all just have a wee laugh at his expense.

That said, Foster would have remained on the pitch, and the game may have panned out differently.

I do honestly think that all these wrong decisions etc balance themselves out between teams (roughly). I support (well very casually these days) Celtic, and have got myself all worked up about Rangers getting all the decisions all the time, and referees hating us etc etc. But when you sit back and think about it, you start noticing all the decisions going in your favour as well as the ones going against you. E.g. how in the hell Loovens didn't get a red card for that disgusting challenge on Edu last week I'll never know. The ref was looking directly at it, and it was as blatant as it gets.

I do agree with you also. It does add to the excitement, and the pure lottery of certain games. I am just sick to death of "robbed by the referee" excuses from football fans. Or fans believing that certain referees are biased towards certain clubs - "The referee won Manyoo the league" or whatever. Post game interviews with managers are nothing but moaning about the officials. Anything from a glancing penalty decision to the amount of added time. Fucking boring. Man up. Your team lost. Take some responsibility and don't pin all your hopes on a penalty kick after a bit of a tangle in the box. Have some fucking dignity.

There were alot of sceptical rugby fans when the implementation of video referring was first announced. It took its time to settle in but now it is a much more efficient game, but it's obviously difficult to tell whether or not it would make the same translation into football.

I don't think it ever will be brought in due to the desire of keeping the game as traditional as possible. I think that's fair enough. If it could be brought in for just one aspect of the game, I would suggest it would be on the goal line. Did it cross? Was the whole ball over? Decisions that require more than just the human eye, I feel. With a foul, when it's slowed right down, it becomes a lottery of which contact came first, and the slightest bit of contact with player before ball could well mean a foul, insisting that Football is essentially a non contact sport, which would be ridiculous.

They should just use the review system of American Football. The refs go to the screen at the side of the pitch check all the camera angles and it's limited to a few minutes. If they can't see something blatant to prove the call on the pitch was wrong nothing changes, but if they do see something it's reversed. Easy, 3 minutes extra. That's about the time players spend rolling around injured anyway.

They should just use the review system of American Football. The refs go to the screen at the side of the pitch check all the camera angles and it's limited to a few minutes. If they can't see something blatant to prove the call on the pitch was wrong nothing changes, but if they do see something it's reversed. Easy, 3 minutes extra. That's about the time players spend rolling around injured anyway.

Or chasing the referee around complaining about the decision.

A lot of the things people complain about in the modern game could be stamped out with video replays. No more diving, no more legitimate goals being ruled out, no more dodgy offsides etc.

no more dodgy offsides etc.

This is a big one actually. There's no denying the athleticism in the game has developed tenfold in the past 10 or 20 years. Players are much much faster and are timing their runs to perfection but are being pulled back. It's not right. The advantage is no longer given to the front man. Not even close.

Or chasing the referee around complaining about the decision.

A lot of the things people complain about in the modern game could be stamped out with video replays. No more diving, no more legitimate goals being ruled out, no more dodgy offsides etc.

It wont rule them out completely (these things will still need refferred to the video ref), but go a long way to reduce the amount just now

This is a big one actually. There's no denying the athleticism in the game has developed tenfold in the past 10 or 20 years. Players are much much faster and are timing their runs to perfection but are being pulled back. It's not right. The advantage is no longer given to the front man. Not even close.

But, to get round it, the referee would have to let every attack run its course or at least run on until someone reviews the video then has a word in the referee's ear.

This would get really frustrating. Almost as frustrating as wrong calls being made in the first place.

I understand why it's there, but the offside rule is pretty silly when you think about it - it's physically impossible for the linesman to be looking at the person kicking the ball and the furthest forward players at the same time.