aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Big game for Scotland tonight.

Glad to see "Boozy" Barry Ferguson & Allan "Alkie" MacGregor put in extra training with a "marathon booze session".

Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor axed from Scotland squad after marathon booze session - The Daily Record

What an utter pair of twats. Is a bit of professionalism not a bit too much to ask? Particularly from Ferguson considering he is meant to be captain.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

This just shows what a complete moron Ferguson is really. He's always been missing in Scotland's time of need.

How many games was he injured for during the difficult Vogts reign?

He reappeared fit and ready for most games under Smith, when Scotland had actually started to play well without him, and then he was genuinely injured for a long time when McLeish was in charge, and Scotland had their best spell for years without him.

Then everyone expected Scotland to pick up where they left off with Burley in charge and Ferguson is somehow back in the team, and tried for a couple of games, but now this campaign is effectively out the window, Ferguson goes and shows no respect to the squad or his manager or the fans by acting like a stupid teenager, and we'll be without him for an important must win game tonight. He never stands up and is counted when we need him.

He shouldn't play for Scotland again, let alone captain the side. He's a good football player, but he believed his own hype about 7/8 years ago and forgot to work hard at his game and become the footballer he could have been. Moron.

Guest idol_wild
This just shows what a complete moron Ferguson is really. He's always been missing in Scotland's time of need.

How many games was he injured for during the difficult Vogts reign?

He reappeared fit and ready for most games under Smith, when Scotland had actually started to play well without him, and then he was genuinely injured for a long time when McLeish was in charge, and Scotland had their best spell for years without him.

Then everyone expected Scotland to pick up where they left off with Burley in charge and Ferguson is somehow back in the team, and tried for a couple of games, but now this campaign is effectively out the window, Ferguson goes and shows no respect to the squad or his manager or the fans by acting like a stupid teenager, and we'll be without him for an important must win game tonight. He never stands up and is counted when we need him.

He shouldn't play for Scotland again, let alone captain the side. He's a good football player, but he believed his own hype about 7/8 years ago and forgot to work hard at his game and become the footballer he could have been. Moron.

How come you're a Celtic fan when you were born and brought up in Aberdeenshire? ;)

How come you're a Celtic fan when you were born and brought up in Aberdeenshire? ;)

Brainwashed by my Dad and older brother when I was little. My Dad is definitely a glory seeker - he was young man during the 60s, and got taken in with the 9 in a row era etc (I think - he may have been a fan before then, but that's my guess anyway!)

I'm not overly bothered by club football anymore, I never get the chance to go to football anymore, so have lost interest a bit. I've been to more Aberdeen matches than Celtic matches in the past couple of seasons, just because I lived close to Pittodrie!

That Ferguson rant was nothing to do with being a Celtic fan but a Scotland fan! :)

Guest idol_wild

That Ferguson rant was nothing to do with being a Celtic fan but a Scotland fan! :)

I know - I'm teasing. I don't really consider myself a supporter of the national side but I do take a small interest and largely agree with you on the Ferguson situation.

He actually very rarely impresses me for his club, come to think of it. To me, Ferguson is just an ordinary SPL midfielder who never takes any risks - I don't understand what his outstanding attributes or abilities actually are.

I know - I'm teasing. I don't really consider myself a supporter of the national side but I do take a small interest and largely agree with you on the Ferguson situation.

He actually very rarely impresses me for his club, come to think of it. To me, Ferguson is just an ordinary SPL midfielder who never takes any risks - I don't understand what his outstanding attributes or abilities actually are.

He can play a square ball better than anyone in the SPL...........

He looked a real prospect when he first came through but he's never quite lived up to the early promise. I don't thnk he's a bad player but he could have done a lot better than he has IMO. I think he got handed the armband too early and had too much pressure put on him early on. Also for me he was never the same after that ill-fated spell at Blackburn and he's come back to his safe comfort zone. I don't even think he should be guaranteed a start at Rangers at the moment, I rate Davis and Mendes higher than him.

His legs are gone and fails to control games as much as he used to be able to.

Seems to let games pass him by, like you say - he's in his comfort zone.

After the drinking incident, should be stripped of the captaincy at the very least, and hopefully that will remove the guaranteed start he's always going to have as long as he is. Based on form he shouldn't be in the team just now...been very, very poor this year.

He does have ability, and a lot of it at that. He's just such a lazy bastard. I've seen him dominate the midfield against some really strong opposition, the game that sticks in my head is the away leg against Villareal when the huns got put out of Europe on away goals.

Ferguson was awesome for most of that game. Box to box, trying his heart out and making things happen for them. But then, back to the SPL, strolling about in his own half with his chest puffed out. Folk used to slate Neil Lennon, but he was a far more effective and consistent player than Ferguson. Ferguson is an attacking midfielder to trade, but he tries to be the holding midfielder and sit back, but he doesn't keep the ball well enough for that. I've lost count in matches the amount of times he'll play a 5 yard pass to a full back then stand still behind an opponent so the full back has no option but to punt it out or up the line. It looks like the defender lost the ball and Ferguson completed his pass. The games where he's been really good is when he's been in a more attacking role - he can play a cracking through ball, but he's rarely far enough forward to do it. He's also great at timing runs into the box. Again, he's too far into his own half to do it regularly. It all stems from him being fucking lazy and expecting to play week in week out for the huns, and get a guaranteed place in Scotland's team.

Fletcher and Brown should be the central midfield pairing for Scotland. Fletcher doing the hard work getting in people's faces all game long and Brown doing the attacking (and getting in people's faces to an extent as well). Ferguson, if made to sit on the bench for a while may buck his ideas up, but it's probably too late now - too many years of strolling along.

He does have ability, and a lot of it at that. He's just such a lazy bastard. I've seen him dominate the midfield against some really strong opposition, the game that sticks in my head is the away leg against Villareal when the huns got put out of Europe on away goals.

But how long ago was that?

Burley's probably delighted, this gives him the perfect excuse to bin him. Now we need a great performance from the midfield tonight so he has the perfect excuse not to play him again.

I think we should manage a win tonight, it won't be a easy but I would say 1-0 or 2-1. Depends on who he plays up front, we're worryingly short of firepower at the moment. Clarkson, Iwelumo, Miller, McCormack, Steven Fletcher are in the squad, McCormack is more a winger than a striker and I'm not sure Clarkson and Fletcher are ready for this level. I would have liked to see Riordan get called up, he's been doing well and has scored more goals than Clarkson and Fletcher this season. He can be a lazy cunt off the ball though.

I think we should manage a win tonight, it won't be a easy but I would say 1-0 or 2-1. Depends on who he plays up front, we're worryingly short of firepower at the moment. Clarkson, Iwelumo, Miller, McCormack, Steven Fletcher are in the squad, McCormack is more a winger than a striker and I'm not sure Clarkson and Fletcher are ready for this level. I would have liked to see Riordan get called up, he's been doing well and has scored more goals than Clarkson and Fletcher this season. He can be a lazy cunt off the ball though.

McCormack is definitely more of a striker than a winger. His goalscoring record in the Championship is pretty impressive, as is Iwelumo's.

But how long ago was that?

Burley's probably delighted, this gives him the perfect excuse to bin him. Now we need a great performance from the midfield tonight so he has the perfect excuse not to play him again.

You're right, he's done fuck all for a few seasons now. Ever since he proved he was bigger than any manager at Rangers by ousting Le Guen, he's just sat back and got picked for club and country when available.

Le Guen did the right thing and stripped him of his captaincy, and effectively got sacked for it. Good move Rangers. If they'd stuck by Le Guen and let him do things his way, they would probably be a very good side by now - thank fuck they're so backwards thinking that they let the pie eating, beer drinking morons (Ferguson, Boyd, Adam etc) stop the club from progressing....!

Burley inherited him as captain of the country when he was still injured and kind of had his hands tied to a certain extent. Ferguson should have done the honourable thing and stepped down as captain when the new manager came in and let him pick his own captain - if Ferguson was still the right man for the job, Burley would have picked him. This is a brilliant excuse to give him the dunt. So long as he doesn't opt for McManus as the new captain. He's just a defender, and should be left to do just that. He's been a worse defender for Celtic since being made captain. Brown, Fletcher or Gordon for captain, I say. Or even Caldwell.

McCormack is definitely more of a striker than a winger. His goalscoring record in the Championship is pretty impressive, as is Iwelumo's.

Iwulemo needs an important goal for Scotland or a couple so that everyone can forgive him for that awful miss against Norway. That's the only thing people have in their minds at the moment when they think of him, and it's a little unfair.

I've no idea how he missed, and probably nor does he, but I'm sure if he had that same chance another 99 times he would have stuck it away - one of those bizarre football moments.

he should def start upfront for that exact reason, he is confident enough to constantly find the net, none of our other strikers can say the same at the moment.

Sorry my mistake, I haven't seen much of him since he left Motherwell, I thought he'd been used on the wing at Cardiff - I think I've mixed him up with Ross Wallace at Preston. I thought McCormack did really well out wide in the Holland game, maybe Burley will want to use him as a wide player again tonight. As for Iwelumo, again I haven't seen much of him since I don't get to watch the Championship very often, but didn't I hear recently that he went something like 19 games without scoring?