aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

All the fans booing because Aluko got taken off?

Were they watching the same game as me? He was horrible.

I thought Wright would start up front with Mackie, and fill in the target-man role for Miller, but instead short-arse Mackie seemed to be playing target-man? Hoofing long balls to Darren Mackie...stupid idea. I bet it didn't even work in training. Fucks.

Saw that coming a mile off. Dunfermline have an aging defence, and Tango should really have been using the pace of Maguire, Mackie and Aluko late in the game to stretch them. Instead, he takes two of the pacy players off, and contrives to narrow the play, leaving his men to lump high balls into a congested penalty area, with pretty much just one target (Wright).

Wright came on far too late to affect the game, while bringing on Duff for Maguire was the point I knew for sure it was all going to go tits up,

Boo to you, fat orange hun. Don't let the door hit yer arse.

How did Graham Bayne play for Dunfermline? Always liked him when he was at Caley...

I'm high as a kite just now after scoring tonight's last minute equaliser for Team Highlander against the best 5-aside team in the league. A few ex Dons and a few current Peterhead players got a lesson in how to bury a 6 yard shot :)

I'm high as a kite just now after scoring tonight's last minute equaliser for Team Highlander against the best 5-aside team in the league. A few ex Dons and a few current Peterhead players got a lesson in how to bury a 6 yard shot :)

Get them fecking taught, we never score from 6 yards :up:

All the fans booing because Aluko got taken off?

Were they watching the same game as me? He was horrible.

I thought Wright would start up front with Mackie, and fill in the target-man role for Miller, but instead short-arse Mackie seemed to be playing target-man? Hoofing long balls to Darren Mackie...stupid idea. I bet it didn't even work in training. Fucks.

aye it certainly wasn't aluko's best game but i felt he was getting into it and at least wanted to attack just when he was taken off. duff wasn't bad though and at least looked like he gave a shit(last player to leave the pitch at the end and went over to the bench and kicked some stuff).

incidentally, ref was shite too.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Utter dross. How can Calderwood justify playing a long ball game with 2 short guys up front against two towering centre backs? Even Smith and Aluko in support are too small to win anything in the air. It was obvious after 15 minutes that playing high balls wasn't working but he didn't have the gumption to change his tactics. Considine and Duff coming on when we're trying to win a cup match? 1 up front for the last 20 minutes? Atrocious. Get your bags you fat orange Bastard. I've seen enough.

• Upvote 1

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

The only player to come out of that match with any credit is Diamond, he was a rock at the back and not afraid to try and push forward. The rest of them didn't turn up, nobody had the cojones to take a shot, it was pass pass pass till we lost possession. Foster was dire, Seve was hopeless, Mackie pretty much posted missing for the whole game. Maguire was playing much better than Mackie, he didn't deserve to be subbed. Langfield punting it up the park to lose possession EVERY time he had the ball...

Wright should've started, without a doubt. He put himself about more in 15 minutes than Bebo and Mackie did in 90+. If you're going to lump balls up the pitch then you need somebody who's strong enough to hold the ball up and decent in the air. I don't think Tommy Wright's a great striker by any stretch of the imagination, but he'd probably be pretty effective in that kinda role.

Ricky Foster is absolutely terrible and I hope he's off in the summer. He's kinda fast, sure, but how many times did he put the ball out of play tonight when he was under little/no pressure? He's a nothing player.

I simply cannot understand why so many of our players were so static tonight. Surely one of the first things you learn as a footballer is the importance of passing and moving whilst attacking? There were a couple of breaks tonight that just completely fell flat because our players simply weren't putting themselves in decent positions. It did start to get a little better during extra time but the amount of passes that went astray because the player in possession had no other option than to hoof it was completely ridiculous. Did Jimmy tell the team to keep such a rigid structure or are the players just thick as shit? I don't know.

Full credit to Dunfermline who deserved their win. They kept it tight at the back for most of the game and I thought the big lad with the shaved head up front put in a good shift.

Still no Hampden for Tango, the big dirty orange orange. FANTASTIC!

A pretty terrible game it has to be said. I can't understand Tango's tactics; we were always going to sit in and hold out for as long as we could, and he made that pretty easy to acheive. Bottling basataaaaaaaaaa'! What a shift from Wilson, we're going to miss him next season. Gallacher is lightyears better than anyone has ever given him credit for, what a player. What a result.

Mackie missed a total sitter in the first few minutes mind, it could have been a different story if that had gone in. Wright had caused us a few problems at EEP, so him not starting was nice.

A semi-final against Them to look forward to now. Immense :gringo:

Oh, yes, that's right, he's the most successful manager since Ferguson. How silly of me to forget.

Says who? I suppose that depends on what you class as success. No trophies, one third place finish in 4 (most likely 5) seasons and one relatively successful (but lets face it, Copenhagen result aside, monumentally jammy) run in Europe.

The thing that has impressed me most about Calderwood is his signings. That said, I'm starting to wonder if they have been less down to his poers of persuasion and more to do with the fact that Aberdeen has just about the biggest budget outside the Old Firm. And just think what we might of achieved with those players if it wasn't for the tactical tombola.

So, I've never been one of the JMG brigade until now, but as far as I'm concerned his time has run it's course. The fact that no one from England has come in for him in nearly 5 years speaks volumes, especially when they go for the likes of Owen Coyle.

Says who? I suppose that depends on what you class as success. No trophies, one third place finish in 4 (most likely 5) seasons and one relatively successful (but lets face it, Copenhagen result aside, monumentally jammy) run in Europe.

The thing that has impressed me most about Calderwood is his signings. That said, I'm starting to wonder if they have been less down to his poers of persuasion and more to do with the fact that Aberdeen has just about the biggest budget outside the Old Firm. And just think what we might of achieved with those players if it wasn't for the tactical tombola.

So, I've never been one of the JMG brigade until now, but as far as I'm concerned his time has run it's course. The fact that no one from England has come in for him in nearly 5 years speaks volumes, especially when they go for the likes of Owen Coyle.

Norwich City were rumoured to have been looking at him after the UEFA cup run last year, but that could have just been paper talk.

Just to take us away from the JMG chat...

Someone on the Caley Messageboard has analysed all the league games since Terry Butcher took over and compiled a league table of results. Interesting and surprising reading!!

ICT.---------------------6---------11

MOTHERWELL.---6----------11

RANGERS.----------5---------10

HEARTS.-------------6---------10

CELTIC.---------------5-----------9

HIBS.------------------6-----------9

HAMILTON.---------7-----------9

ABERDEEN.-------6-----------6

DU---------------------6-----------5

FALKIRK.-----------5-----------5

ST MIRREN.-------5-----------4

KILMARNOCK----7-----------3

Really opened my eyes in how much of a turnaround he's made; with essentially the same bunch of players (plus Foran and Kerr). A manager really does have a huuuuge influence!

he has at least installed a bit of stability into the club. Im as angry as any fan today but the simple fact is we're a lot better off than we were under steve patterson or ebbe.