aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

You've missed my point. I'm annoyed by the fact that they aren't bothered about it being one of the best games of the year, more bothered about what Beckham will do.

Like Channel 5 suddenly deciding to run an MLS highlights show when Beckham went there, when absolutely no-one gave a fuck about it before (including Americans).

Anyway so what if they only showed it because of him, its fucking ace we might get more italian football on tv, better than watching the boring prem league or the shocking scottish league.

The premiership is great. Best league in the world, in my opinion

The premiership is great. Best league in the world, in my opinion

why?

90% of the games are played with 5 across the midfield with more consideration to not losing rather than trying to win games. Even Liverpool and Chelsea do it and they are suppose to have some of the best players in the world.

Watch spanish football or Italian at times, the quality level is miles ahead of anywhere else, people actually look to win games. The prem league has become like scotland in the way that only Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea will win it, yes Villa have had a great season but they will most likely fall down to Euro cup hopes next season, just like we have the old firm up here and every now and again the likes of Hearts or Abereen can have a good season and push them.

i agree the premier league is way overated, full of ageing mercenary foreigners. mind you i regularly go and watch blue square premier football so what the fuck do i know?

Exactly! The money some of these players get paid is madness and heaps of them would struggle to get a game up here for the old firm!!

I mean 18m plus 70k+ a week in wages for craig bellemy!!! What a joke.

Because of the money most of the teams appart from Man Utd and Arsenal are too scared to even try to play football, they play one up front and hope he gets a break or they get a goal from a set piece its so boring to watch and so overpriced to watch, can you imagine actually having to pay 45 to wach boro vs wigan.

aye game over after 3 minutes. sounded like both sets of fans were enjoying themselves by the end though. good to get bebo on the score sheet as well.

No! Bebo's goals will only encourage JC to play him! He took his second well against a tiring defence but over the piece I thought he was poor. Decent night out although I missed the first 2 goals and sending off so the game was over by the time I arrived.

i watch match of the day most weeks and when they get to the 'tony gubba' games such as fulham v middlesboro or wigan v bolton, it is terrible!

man utd are looking class right now mind, they have (as always) a really good balance of foreigners and home grown talent with kids coming through the system. thats why they should win the league this year with ease.

best thing about the prem is the man city circus, how they're always linked with world class players and end up with bruisers like bellamy on a stupid wage for a stupid fee. but then again if you have that amount of billions to waste....

Last night's game was like a training match, the fans pretty much just sat on their hands after the first two goals went in, and the players took their foot right off the gas in the second half. It was one of the most laid back atmoshperes I've ever experienced at Todders. Good to see us dominate from start to finish, though Ricky Foster was still shite and got skinned numerous times.

3 goals this season now for Maguire, all against Alloa and East Fife. I guess he's found his level.... before he scored his goals he missed an absolute sitter, one on one with the keeper, defence was nowhere near him, he just needed to roll it home. Instead he absolutely wellied it and put it about 10 yards over the bar, from inside the box.

before he scored his goals he missed an absolute sitter, one on one with the keeper, defence was nowhere near him, he just needed to roll it home. Instead he absolutely wellied it and put it about 10 yards over the bar, from inside the box.

And the young kid in front of me at Todders responded to that with a cry of "You're worse than Mackie!"

:up: :up: :up: :up:

Exactly! The money some of these players get paid is madness and heaps of them would struggle to get a game up here for the old firm!!

I mean 18m plus 70k+ a week in wages for craig bellemy!!! What a joke.

Because of the money most of the teams appart from Man Utd and Arsenal are too scared to even try to play football, they play one up front and hope he gets a break or they get a goal from a set piece its so boring to watch and so overpriced to watch, can you imagine actually having to pay 45 to wach boro vs wigan.

Wigan's a poor example because they actually play some decent football (and have done since Bruce took over) but I get your point.

It's definitely over-rated but it's my favourite league because my team play in it (obviously). As a neutral I'd take the Spanish league even though the Milan derby was absolutely cracking the other day. I do think that while the English league often isn't the most exciting to watch it is still a definite contender if you wanna compile a "best league" list. Sometimes the entertaining value can be kinda low, yeah, but I'm sure if you watched a game like Reggina vs. Lecce or Numancia vs. Osasuna there's a good chance it could be bloody horrible too. The whole "English teams do well in the Champions League" thing is flawed to fuck and I don't really wanna use it, but I dunno.

It's a great league, probably not the "best" (what are the criteria for this, anyway) in the world, but a fine one nonetheless. On their day, Arsenal and Man United are two of the most exciting teams in the world to watch though.

i watch match of the day most weeks and when they get to the 'tony gubba' games such as fulham v middlesboro or wigan v bolton, it is terrible!

man utd are looking class right now mind, they have (as always) a really good balance of foreigners and home grown talent with kids coming through the system. thats why they should win the league this year with ease.

best thing about the prem is the man city circus, how they're always linked with world class players and end up with bruisers like bellamy on a stupid wage for a stupid fee. but then again if you have that amount of billions to waste....

its a terrible standard of football when you get to those games, even the big games like man utd vs liverpool are usually poor as again not losing is far far more important than actually trying to win the game.

The man city thing i think is the funniest thing ever, i mean they got shafted in january 30 mil on Bellamy and Wayne Bridge........bit of a step down from kaka or robinhio

Wigan's a poor example because they actually play some decent football (and have done since Bruce took over) but I get your point.

It's definitely over-rated but it's my favourite league because my team play in it (obviously). As a neutral I'd take the Spanish league even though the Milan derby was absolutely cracking the other day. I do think that while the English league often isn't the most exciting to watch it is still a definite contender if you wanna compile a "best league" list. Sometimes the entertaining value can be kinda low, yeah, but I'm sure if you watched a game like Reggina vs. Lecce or Numancia vs. Osasuna there's a good chance it could be bloody horrible too. The whole "English teams do well in the Champions League" thing is flawed to fuck and I don't really wanna use it, but I dunno.

It's a great league, probably not the "best" (what are the criteria for this, anyway) in the world, but a fine one nonetheless. On their day, Arsenal and Man United are two of the most exciting teams in the world to watch though.

yeah i just picked two of the bottom teams out my head, i was going to say hull but at least their games have been exciting at times and your right the smaller teams in these leagues dont provide great football but i still think they at least try to win games more often.

Your right about man utd and arsenal like, on their day they will beat anyone in the world i think.

the only real big name world class player they got in was robinho but i got the impression the player himself didnt even know where he was going - did he not mention chelski in his press conference? it makes me chuckle how they're linked with the likes of buffon and kaka....

but i agree how do you actually class 'best league in the world' anyways? football is football and you can see cracking games at any level, for example i went to see mildenhall town vs kings lynn reserves in the eastern counties league recently and it was a corker of a game!

the only real big name world class player they got in was robinho but i got the impression the player himself didnt even know where he was going - did he not mention chelski in his press conference? It makes me chuckle how they're linked with the likes of buffon and kaka....

But i agree how do you actually class 'best league in the world' anyways? Football is football and you can see cracking games at any level, for example i went to see mildenhall town vs kings lynn reserves in the eastern counties league recently and it was a corker of a game!

yeah i suppose so, if your a big defending fan then i guess the prem league is right up your sleeve, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that lol

why?

90% of the games are played with 5 across the midfield with more consideration to not losing rather than trying to win games. Even Liverpool and Chelsea do it and they are suppose to have some of the best players in the world.

Watch spanish football or Italian at times, the quality level is miles ahead of anywhere else, people actually look to win games.

The EPL is still, generally speaking, a more attacking league than Serie A IMO. Only Roma and Genoa play what you could describe as attacking football most weeks.

I think the Milan derby the other night has misled a lot of people - Inter still played with 3 defensive midfielders and basically played hoofball for Ibrahimovic and Adriano. If they appeared to be playing positively it's purely because Milan's defence, particularly without Gattuso and Nesta, is pish. Milan probably looked more attacking than usual as well, because if Beckham's utterly inexplicable arrival hadn't happened and Gattuso wasn't injured, they would be playing the same system that people whined about when they won the Champions' League in '07.

The EPL is still, generally speaking, a more attacking league than Serie A IMO. Only Roma and Genoa play what you could describe as attacking football most weeks.

I think the Milan derby the other night has misled a lot of people - Inter still played with 3 defensive midfielders and basically played hoofball for Ibrahimovic and Adriano. If they appeared to be playing positively it's purely because Milan's defence, particularly without Gattuso and Nesta, is pish. Milan probably looked more attacking than usual as well, because if Beckham's utterly inexplicable arrival hadn't happened and Gattuso wasn't injured, they would be playing the same system that people whined about when they won the Champions' League in '07.

i dunno to be honest, yes milan play defensivly, they have done for decades now, but the rest of the league has seen a big improvment in terms of attacking play compared to what they used to be like, whereas the EPL has gone the otherway, gone are the days of Newcastle/Liverpool 4-3 games and now we have boring 1-0's almost everyweek.