aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

A Good Day to Die Hard - I never in my life thought id say this about a Die Hard film, but its just not that great. Full of cheesy lines making references to how old Bruce is, and it just seemed so over the top and ridiculous, to the point its not that enjoyable to watch. 

This is 40 - Suppose to be a sequel of sorts too "Knocked Up" really really nae worth watching unless you like Rudd's character in Knocked up. A few cheap laughs from time to time and a happy ending, of course, as these films always do.

Id give both films 2/5. 

A Good Day to Die Hard - I never in my life thought id say this about a Die Hard film, but its just not that great. Full of cheesy lines making references to how old Bruce is, and it just seemed so over the top and ridiculous, to the point its not that enjoyable to watch. 

This is 40 - Suppose to be a sequel of sorts too "Knocked Up" really really nae worth watching unless you like Rudd's character in Knocked up. A few cheap laughs from time to time and a happy ending, of course, as these films always do.

Id give both films 2/5. 

I thought This is 40 was a cracker. Predictable, but funny nonetheless.

Watched a Stone Cold Steve Austin documentary on Netflix last night. Brilliant. He's one hard S.O.B. And I rewatched some brilliant moments. Like the bedpan moment. OH LORD. 5/5

Woman In Black - genuinely scary Asian-style horror starring a grown up Harry Potter. Lots of jumps, spooky as fuck, and some pretty relentless scares near the middle. Pretty much a re-telling of The Grudge, but set in Victorian England. Really good. 

Walled in - Turdy horror/thriller starring Mischa Barton as a woman sent to demolish a creepy abandoned apartment block in a town which was destroyed by an earthquake. It transpires that the original architect was a bit of a fruit loop who buried people alive in the walls during construction. It's a good idea but it's pretty boring. Mischa Barton is good in it but other than her there's very little reason to watch this clunker.

Oz The Great And Powerful - this is essentially a prequel to the Wizard of Oz, telling the story of how the Wizard came to be in Oz, and how the various witches came to be. The best part of this is the cast who are all very strong (Michelle Williams, James Franco, Mila Kunis) and it looks great, all big bright colours, lots of CGI, and imaginative landscapes, creatures, foliage etc. It's a bit too long however, and it's probably only going to appeal to those who like the Oz stories and the original film. I thought it was good.

Grown-Ups - Typical Adam Sandler fare. He plays average, down-to-Earth guy (albeit a rich one) surrounded by wacky characters, a lot like in Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, Anger Management, Mr Deeds etc etc etc. Along the way there's fart jokes, poop jokes, pee jokes, someone landing face first in poop, someone else landing face first in a cake, someone getting covered in breast milk, a sassy old black woman, far too much Rob Schneider, and the usual Steve Buscemi cameo. What the fuck happened to Adam Sandler? I don't know if he's lost his touch, or if he's doing the same shit he's always done and it's that Hollywood has changed. Anyway, this is fairly balls. There's a few funny bits, mostly when the 5 guys are ragging on each other, bust it's mostly formulaic and not very good. Of course every learns a valuable lesson and become better people. Yawn. I think I'll give the sequel a miss.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - My main worry about this, was that it would feel like a few episodes of "I'm Alan Partridge" tacked together. Fortunately, it did no such thing. There was plenty of laugh out loud moments, and plenty of classic Partridge moments. Any film that suggests combining Judaism and Islam into Jislam (they both hate pigs) has to be a winner. A welcome return to Michael, who has a great exit, and Sidekick Simon also had some cracking lines. Lovely stuff.

9/10

• Upvote 1

I thought This is 40 was a cracker. Predictable, but funny nonetheless.

Watched a Stone Cold Steve Austin documentary on Netflix last night. Brilliant. He's one hard S.O.B. And I rewatched some brilliant moments. Like the bedpan moment. OH LORD. 5/5

That doc is great. Stone Cold turning into a comedy character towards the end of his career is hilariously bad.

Inception

WTF? My head hurts. In a good way. Leo De Caprio and other folk do stuff inside folks dreams. Stealing and shit. They want to plant an idea in someones head so they do a dream within a dream within a dream. Or something. Pretty cool but warrants a second watch I think.

9/10

Looper

WTF? My head hurts a bit less. In a good way. That guy out of 3rd Rock From the Sun who seems to be in heaps these days kills people sent back in time to be executed and ends up facing off with his future self who was sent back to be killed by himself. Or something. Theres also stuff with a weird kid. Ditto for rewatch.

9/10

Excalibur

Early 80's version of the King Arthur legend that has heaps of folk who became famous - Gabriel Byrne, Liam Neeson, Helen Mirren. The guy who plays Merlin was apparently a well respected stage actor but I found him annoying as shit in this. Its very 80's, a bit long, the plot skips about a bit and its a bit dull.

6/10

Sucker Punch

A girl imagines herself on various hyper violent missions with her pals when she is really dancing in a brothel. But she started off in a mental institution where we see folk who later work in the brothel. Or something. I dont think I want to rewatch. Its got lots of scantily clad lasses in it for the LADZ.

7/10

One Night in Turin

Documentary about Englands 1990 World Cup when Gazza had a greet. OK I guess.

7/10

Watchmen Directors Cut

Fancied watching this again, still pretty sure they couldnt have made a much better adaptation of the comic book, is ageing pretty well.

9/10

The Watch

Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Richard Ayoade and Jonah Hill form a Neighbourhood Watch team after one of Stiller's CostCo staff gets killed and they end up facing up to an alien invasion. Some amusing bits but given the cast you kind of know what to expect really.

7/10

That doc is great. Stone Cold turning into a comedy character towards the end of his career is hilariously bad.

Yeah. Amazing seeing behind the scenes of bits like austin v mcmahon and stuff. And his hair when he was Stunning Steve Austin from Hollywood. Brilliant.

Is there any other WWF era docs on netflix I should check out?

I watched Wreck-It Ralph, and absolutely loved it. basically, all the games in an arcade are connected through the cables and when the arcade closes they can all wander into each other's games. A baddie from a Donkey Kong style game decides he doesn't want to be a baddie any more so he sets off to find a game he can beat to become a hero. Not only is it a genuinely great film, but it's chock-ful of 8-bit and 16-bit era in jokes and characters. A "Bad Guys Anonymous" support group features Bowser, Zangief, Dr Robotnik, etc. So good. 

Henry's Crime

Easy going, nice guy Keanu Reeves gets walked all over by everyone and ends up in jail after he thought he was giving people a lift to a softball game but in fact he was tricked into being the getaway driver for a bank job. There he meets James Caan's conman and the seed gets planted that he may as well rob the damn bank for real if he's going to be in jail for it.

It's totally predictable but for a safe, light comedy it's done pretty well.  Caan is excellent, Reeves is wooden as usual but it suits his nice guy doormat character. It's mildly entertaining and over in under 2 hours.

Yeah. Amazing seeing behind the scenes of bits like austin v mcmahon and stuff. And his hair when he was Stunning Steve Austin from Hollywood. Brilliant.

Is there any other WWF era docs on netflix I should check out?

Yeah, I really didn't know anything about Steve Austin pre Stone-Cold, or even the very early days of Stone Cold. Complete chalk and cheese characters in his WCW days. It was pretty great how he was doing all he could to be a heel who was hated, but ended up being a fan favourite anti-hero. The explanation of when The Rock defeated Austin at Wrestlemania, and they shared a big, manly "I love you, man" moment. Proper 'something-in-my-eye' stuff. And I don't even like wrasslin' anymore.

Oh, and the Owen Hart stuff, with the botched piledriver, was pretty eye opening on just how "fake" wrestling is. Really good watch.

The Rock doc is pretty good too. I'd recommend that. He seems like a great guy. With Stone Cold, you can see alot of himself in the character he plays, but Dwayne Johnson seems completely detached from The Rock, so it's an interesting contrast. Shame there's not more documentaries on the older WWE stars on Netflix. There's ones on Randy Orton and CM Punk, but I'm not really interested in either of them.

Edited by Joda Serk

Yeah, I really didn't know anything about Steve Austin pre Stone-Cold, or even the very early days of Stone Cold. Complete chalk and cheese characters in his WCW days. It was pretty great how he was doing all he could to be a heel who was hated, but ended up being a fan favourite anti-hero. The explanation of when The Rock defeated Austin at Wrestlemania, and they shared a big, manly "I love you, man" moment. Proper 'something-in-my-eye' stuff. And I don't even like wrasslin' anymore.

Oh, and the Owen Hart stuff, with the botched piledriver, was pretty eye opening on just how "fake" wrestling is. Really good watch.

The Rock doc is pretty good too. I'd recommend that. He seems like a great guy. With Stone Cold, you can see alot of himself in the character he plays, but Dwayne Johnson seems completely detached from The Rock, so it's an interesting contrast. Shame there's not more documentaries on the older WWE stars on Netflix. There's ones on Randy Orton and CM Punk, but I'm not really interested in either of them.

Just watched The Rock one. He's a good egg him. Apparently the CM Punk one is pretty good. He's all sXe too. Proper punk. He looks like Wolverine now too. I might watch that at some  point.

I never really liked Edge. At the time I watched wrestling it was when he was in a tag team with Christian. A low-bill superstar, the type who would be a "main event" on Sundat Night Heat or whatever. A few years after I stopped watching wrestling, I was pretty shocked that he'd become one of the main guys.