aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I've never seen the Sopranos either. Or 24. Or The Wire. Or The West Wing.

I fucking hate entertainment, me.

I love 24 - but didn't like Sopranos or the wire

The Matador

Pierce Brosnan plays an ageing hitman with a dodgy 'tache who likes a drink and ogling teenage girls. While on a job in Mexico he meets failing businessman Greg Kinnear and although their initial meeting is a bit frosty they become more friendly and 6 months later Brosnan turns up at Kinnears home requesting help with a final job. This is a pretty good film and Pierce Brosnan plays against his usual type. The bit where he walks through a hotel lobby dressed only in Speedos and cowboy boots en route to the pool soundtracked by The Cramps 'Garbageman' is ace. 9/10.

Is this the same as Matador (1986)

I watched 'Where the Wild ones Are' last night, slightly confused as to whether this was a childrens movie or not, it seemed really quite grim and boring for children. The monsters were pretty good tho, albiet quite violent......sorry just a very odd film!

Yeah that one is Spanish but is it a remake?

Oh. I've not seen the Almodovar one all the way through but from seeing a bit of it years back I would say no.

The Science of Sleep

Gael Garcia Bernal plays Stephane, a young man who moves back to live in France after his mother gets him a job in a calendar printers, but he finds that rather than them looking for his artistic input as he expected, it's actually just a mundane typesetting job. He lives in his mothers flat and Charlotte Gainsbourg moves in next door. The rest of the film features his attempts to seduce her while pretending he doesn't actually live next door and living out his fantasy world where dreams and real life become muddled and he invents various gadgets. Its made by Michel Gondry who also did 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and 'Be Kind Rewind' so if you've seen them you know what to expect. It's not bad but probably a good 15 minutes too long. 8/10.

Oh. I've not seen the Almodovar one all the way through but from seeing a bit of it years back I would say no.

The Science of Sleep

Gael Garcia Bernal plays Stephane, a young man who moves back to live in France after his mother gets him a job in a calendar printers, but he finds that rather than them looking for his artistic input as he expected, it's actually just a mundane typesetting job. He lives in his mothers flat and Charlotte Gainsbourg moves in next door. The rest of the film features his attempts to seduce her while pretending he doesn't actually live next door and living out his fantasy world where dreams and real life become muddled and he invents various gadgets. Its made by Michel Gondry who also did 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and 'Be Kind Rewind' so if you've seen them you know what to expect. It's not bad but probably a good 15 minutes too long. 8/10.

I have a crush on this guy, there's just soemthing about him! I have had this film for ages and not watched it, this is making me want to now!

Shutter Island: I really enjoyed it. I think the twist was fairly obvious from at least midway through but it was well paced regardless. The acting was pretty good as well, particularly DiCaprio and Kingsley. It was actually a pretty intense film and the score helped to build that with some nice atmospherics. I probably won't buy this on Blu Ray but i'd watch it again if it was on the TV. 7/10

Shutter Island: I really enjoyed it. I think the twist was fairly obvious from at least midway through but it was well paced regardless. The acting was pretty good as well, particularly DiCaprio and Kingsley. It was actually a pretty intense film and the score helped to build that with some nice atmospherics. I probably won't buy this on Blu Ray but i'd watch it again if it was on the TV. 7/10

I read the book recently, and while it was obviously by about halfway through that something wasn't quite right, the twist took me totally by surprise when it was revealed. Of course, I've now ruined the film for myself. :down: I'll still watch it though, for the Di Caprio factor.

I fear you just lost a large amount of man-points...

I don't think I had that many to begin with.

Seriously though, I think Di Caprio has come a long long way since his teen heart-throb days, I think he's a very very good actor and he has a lot of screen presence. I find him great to watch.

Loving the Gael Garcia Bernal appreciation. great actor - still thing Amores Perros / Bad Education are his best so far.

Hurt Locker: Didn't rate it that much. Generally flat, boring and repetitive. Too pro-army / pro-american to enjoy. Sniper Battle WINS though.

The Fox Family: Bizarro Asian musical. Some good bits and ideas but overall disappointing.

Stranger than fiction. Remember it being better, good cast but something missing from the story.

True Romance: Never gets old, great film, outstanding ensemble cast and one of the best scenes in cinema history (Sicilian heritage)

Sukiyaki Western Django: One of Takashi Miike's more watchable films, great action and stylish.

Charlie Bartlett: pretty poor coming-of-age film. Downy Jr / Hope Davis are good in it. Pants story though.

Valkyrie: wasn't feeling it - especially since all Nazis (AND HITLER!) all spoke 'jolly good' English.

Bangkok Dangerous: Cage re-make, not his best acting / hair cut. Very true to the original other than deaf aspects, great ending. Surprisingly enjoyable.

Oldboy: umpteenth time, still absolutely fantastic. Definitely an all-time top 5 for me.

Full reviews here

I don't think I had that many to begin with.

Seriously though, I think Di Caprio has come a long long way since his teen heart-throb days, I think he's a very very good actor and he has a lot of screen presence. I find him great to watch.

Good shout. Body of Lies was when I first thought "geez, he's come a long way since drawing wimin in the buff". Can't wait to see Inception later this year.

Loving the Gael Garcia Bernal appreciation. great actor - still thing Amores Perros / Bad Education are his best so far.

Hurt Locker: Didn't rate it that much. Generally flat, boring and repetitive. Too pro-army / pro-american to enjoy. Sniper Battle WINS though.

The Fox Family: Bizarro Asian musical. Some good bits and ideas but overall disappointing.

Stranger than fiction. Remember it being better, good cast but something missing from the story.

True Romance: Never gets old, great film, outstanding ensemble cast and one of the best scenes in cinema history (Sicilian heritage)

Sukiyaki Western Django: One of Takashi Miike's more watchable films, great action and stylish.

Charlie Bartlett: pretty poor coming-of-age film. Downy Jr / Hope Davis are good in it. Pants story though.

Valkyrie: wasn't feeling it - especially since all Nazis (AND HITLER!) all spoke 'jolly good' English.

Bangkok Dangerous: Cage re-make, not his best acting / hair cut. Very true to the original other than deaf aspects, great ending. Surprisingly enjoyable.

Oldboy: umpteenth time, still absolutely fantastic. Definitely an all-time top 5 for me.

Full reviews here

I've heard so many people talking about Oldboy but I've still never seen it. I'm going to have to have to check that out at some point.

Good shout. Body of Lies was when I first thought "geez, he's come a long way since drawing wimin in the buff". Can't wait to see Inception later this year.

He's had a great run since The Beach, he was really good in that, and since then, Catch Me If You Can, Gangs Of New York, The Aviator, Blood Diamond, The Departed...

I've heard so many people talking about Oldboy but I've still never seen it. I'm going to have to have to check that out at some point.

It's an absolute must, if it doesn't blow you away and make your guts wrench by the end you will officially have no soul, no soul at all. Don't read anything about it first though.

On another ace note about it: the Hollywood re-make was finally axed at the end of last year. Which is ace, because it's 110% un-remakable as a big-budget blockbuster.

The Hurt Locker

Mainly because it was the only 1080p film on Zune that I really wanted to watch and it was a good excuse to test out HD content on my new telly.

Definitely not your average war film, I thought it was great. Ok, the pacing may have been a little slow at times but I think that was a deliberate choice by the director to build tension through the bomb disposal scenes. At times it felt more like a thriller than an action film because of that. Don't get the repetitive complaint above (if that's a reference to the bomb disposal scenes, there were only a handful spread out across the film and WTF do you expect? Do you complain about Top Gun being repetitive 'cause of all the dogfights?). The action was varied throughout, there was some great acting and some fantastic set pieces (sniper battle, the main disposal scenes and the alley chase).

and guy pearce gets blown up 2 minutes in