aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I thought more could have been made of how his relationships with his mates/girlfriend all suffered because of his success. He seemed to use them, then ditch them once his objective had been achieved.

Definitely. They tried to play out the whole operation as a tense, suspenseful (is that even a word?) event when it was fairly straight forward. The bits where they were training, mucking about and talking about how they met, etc were more interesting.

I watched In the Loop again last night. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite films. I can't believe it's not getting good reviews in the states. I think it's a little too British perhaps.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Urr, dreadful film...

Vertigo ~ I can be a bit up and down with Hitchcock films but I actually enjoyed this one, a bit overlong but a good storyline. James Stewart plays a cop who develops vertigo whilst participating in a rooftop chase in San Francisco and retires due to the associated death of another policeman. An old schoolfriend persuades him as a personal detective to follow his wife and determine the reason for her strange behaviour. He does and ends up falling for her but things don't quite go to plan. Can't say much else without giving away the plot. Kim Novak's bizarre eyebrows stylings were distracting but pretty good overall. 9/10.

Dr. Strangelove ~ Another in my list of 'classics' that I had never seen to date and I really liked it. An American officer instigates a nuclear strike on the USSR by way of a command that was specifically developed to be given if the President was incapacitated and cannot be reversed. The President and various advisors try to prevent the destruction of all mankind. 9/10.

Box of Moonlight ~ One of my favourite ever films finally tracked down on DVD. John Turturro plays a by-the-book type called Al Fountain who finds his first grey hair while working away from home on a job that gets cancelled. Rather than head home straight away for 4th July he decides to hire a car and visit an old lake-based theme park that he went to as a kid. He finds it in total dilapidation and departs but almost crashes into a car stopped by the side of the road. The car belongs to a strange young man played by Sam Rockwell called The Kid who persuades Al to use his hire car to get his broken down car back home after Al diagnoses a faulty distributor. The Kid lives in a sliced in half trailer in the woods and has decided to go 'off the grid' and live a free lifestyle. Al's subsequent attempts to head off and get home are scuppered by lost car keys and a constant stream of childish adventures he is persuaded to take part in by The Kid. By the end of the film he has lightened up in attitude to life. One of those films that doesn't have a huge amount of plot and is quite quirky but I just love it. 10/10.

I thought Man on Wire was ok. Its not something you would keep going back to watch again but i did enjoy. Touching the void id watch again though.

I watched Land of the Lost at the weekend. Its terrible i think i raised two smiles all the way through.I also caught The Hangover on Sat. I was a bit suss of it cos of all the good reviews.My cynical nature i spose, however i thought it was pretty good.

Braindead, the Peter Jackson one. Another of those films I should really have seen a long time ago. Anyway, finally saw it, more silly zombie shenanigans. The zombie baby was the star of the show. That scene where it gets clunged with the frying pan is outstanding.

:up:

yeah have that on ye olde video!! Class

I Drink Your Blood. About a bunch of hippies who catch rabies. A fate too good for them, quite honestly.

Another hour and a half of wonderfully shite cobblers.

:up:

Sounds like my kinda movie! ha ha

I watched quite a few on Sunday, I'll make it short :

War Inc - Weird n whacky comedy with John & Joan Cusack almost comic stylee - nae bad, nad shit thumbs middle

Gran Torino - wasn't what I imagined, good touching movie that I bubbled to at the end thumbs up

Instanitarium - bit of a B movie with Jesse Metcalf and Peter Stormare (Prison break) - quite funny and ridiculous bloody zombie style murders - only watch it you can handle funny, silliness thumbs middle (to down)

Bruno - funny and disturbing - not as bad as I thought it would be, insult wise thumbs up

Ace Ventura 2 - I've seen it so many times and really makes me laugh every time thumbs up

Recently watched:

Wendy & Lucy - an independent drama starring Michelle Williams as a girl who gets stranded in a small town in Idaho with no money. A lot of hype surrounding this film, and it is utter balls. It's filmed so badly it's like you're watching an old VHS tape. Your ears are battered with annoying noises all the way through, because A) all the outside shots are done on busy streets so you have the noise of cars all the time, and B) the director for some reasons fills the all the scenes with train noises, which is annoying as fuck. You're trying to pay attention to the terrible dialogue, and suddenly there's a fucking train blaring it's horn. This is constant through the film, and I'm sure it's suppose to symbolise something that I don't understand because I'm not pretentious enough, but to a layman all it is is an annoying fucking noise. Art for art's sake. Also there's no music anywhere in the film, at all, which you notice quickly. Maybe that's why they used all the train noises. Anyway this is boring as fuck and shite.

Deja Vu - A crime thriller with a sci-fi twist, starring Denzel Washington. It's good, pulse-racing stuff that pounds along at a rate of knots as Denzel tries to find out who committed a terrorist bombing in New Orleans. Then it takes a turn for the ridiculous when the FBI show him a machine they've got that can allow you to look into the past and pass things through a window into the past that can stop things from happening. Sci-Fi like this works if it's set in the future because, cop out as it may be, you can buy that this technology may be available then, however when it's set in present day in a serious crime thriller it feels a bit daft. But if you suspend your disbelief it's a very enjoyable film. The only thing that lets it down are the UNFORGIVABLE plot holes! If you're going to have a film with time travel, at least obey by the rules. If someone goes back in time and makes a major change, the things which occured between the point he went back to, and the point when he goes back WILL BE DIFFERENT. That's Time Travel 101, and one of the many reasons I'd like to punch Tony Scott in the head.

Still, good film apart from the fact that Tony Scott doesn't understand time travel.

Chaos (2006): Statham, Snipes and Ryan Philippe playing off each other in a film about a complicated bank robbery. At no point did I think it was shit or ace Score: 5/10

The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford: The title pretty much sums up this film twice as long as it had to be. At 2:40 I thought thered be a lot to get through this wasnt the case. Should have been great, but was mauled by the pace. Score: 3/10

The savages: Marketed as a black comedy, it's just grim though. Look out for Chris Hitman Partlow (from The Wire) playing a care worker casting FAIL! Doesnt cut it as the Todd Solondz-esqu black comedy it was marketed as. Ignore the critics! Score: 4/10

Run Fat Boy Run: the first 20 minutes teed the film up nicely but after that it rapidly digressed into an utterly predictable and unfunny folly. Full of British stereotypes, unoriginal slapstick jokes, and follows an ultra safe, tried-and-tested formula. Score: 3.5/10

Assembly: an epic Chinese film of one mans struggle through two wars and his quest for recognition of his fallen soldiers. Makes Private Ryan look like a scouts training exercise. Its brutal but humane, and Zhang Hanyus performance is utterly jaw-dropping. Score: 7.5/10

Full reviews here, ken

Sex Drive. Didn't expect it to be brilliant, but it was remarkably laugh free for a 'comedy'.

Anyone seen the Pelham 1-2-3 remake? Dithering over seeing it tomorrow afternoon......

On that note...

The Taking of Pelham 123

Saw this one in London the other day. Decent action thriller. Good performances from Travolta and the always watchable Denzel Washington. Those familiar with the Robert Shaw/Walter Matthau original will notice the absence of the "Gesundheit" twist. I think the producers missed a trick there.

Antichrist

This one's a tough watch! It starts of with a full penetrative sex scene - and then gets worse! Basically a two-person move with a good performance from Willem Dafoe and a terrific one from Charlotte Gainsbourg. Has two scenes that will bring your knees up to your chest - male of female! Not a movie for the prudish or squeamish.

Knowing

I should have known smoething was up in Blockbuster when an odd-looking wee girl handed me a scrap of paper with some seemingly random numbers scrawled on it...

...350 116...

3.50 is how much blew I on rental

116 is the number of percious minutes of my life I spent watching this shite.

Nic Cage - you shot your load with Wild At Heart and leaving Las Vegas - you can't act. Deal.

Field of Dreams

One of my all time faves. Such a beautiful movie - and not a gun in sight. If you haven't seen this masterpiece, pleased do ASAP. Even mumbly Kev can't tarnish the shine on this wonderful movie.

Watchmen

Erm...well now...the thing is...erm...erm...nah! it's a pile of shite. The combined thighs of Malin Akerman and Carla Gugino (hubba-hubba) make this just about watchable...just about.

Public Enemies

Fab movie with yet another great turn from The Deppster. Strong supporting cast, though I'm still not convinced about Christian Bale - I think he tries to hard to be "intense" and ends up being stilted in the process. The movie is well worth a viewing though.

Watchmen

Erm...well now...the thing is...erm...erm...nah! it's a pile of shite. The combined thighs of Malin Akerman and Carla Gugino (hubba-hubba) make this just about watchable...just about.

Public Enemies

Fab movie with yet another great turn from The Deppster. Strong supporting cast, though I'm still not convinced about Christian Bale - I think he tries to hard to be "intense" and ends up being stilted in the process. The movie is well worth a viewing though.

Spot-on with these two. I'm not sure what's worse, Bale's Batman voice or his sheriff voice (forgot his character's name). He's absolutely shocking... although his "acting" did make Terminator: Salvation are hilarious treat :up:

Watched The Passenger last night.

Sitting here today trying to work out if I enjoyed it or not. Jack Nicholson was brilliant as usual but I ended up feeling a bit .....meh... towards it all by the end. It was decent enough but some scenes seemed a bit too drawn out and caused the movie to drag at times.

Can't argue about the sheer quality of the closing 7 minute long tracking shot, a real movie moment.

Adam: a film about a guy with asperger syndrome who meets his new female neighbour and their time together. Not convinced? Neither was I when I read the synopsis. Both leads are outstanding, which makes the film more believable, and there's loads subtle and glaring comedy moments. Look out for Ervin Burrell (the Wire), and Adam himself looks like Mr Prezbo!!! Not your classical Hollywood Rom-Com, but well worth checking out. Score: 8/10

Antichrist: Ive made it my business to see all of Lars Von Triers films because he pushes the envelope of style and content. This one's essentially a film too far. With all the needless violence, sex and symbolism it feels like a slow burning Hostel or Saw flick. Technically it seemed a waste of the mighty Red One cameras used and things like the GCI animals / talking fox are ridiculous!!! The actings the only redeeming part of this, but I suspect this film will be a stain on both their careers. They've made tamer snuff films... Score: 2/10

Watched 2 films so far today:

Sin City: My mate has been at me for ages to watch this. It's pretty good but not as good as he told me it was.

The first scene with Madsen and Willis had me worried. Were they trying to act that badly on purpose or was it some clever film technique I was simply too stupid to see? There lines were so wooden. At least Rourke turned up next and got us back on track.

Overall 8 out of 10.

next:

Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog

The first 2 song sounded extremely familiar and sounded like songs from the Buffy musical episode. Then I discovered this was made my Joss Whedon. Mystery solved. I love that episode of buffy and I loved this film.

8 out of 10