aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I plan on watching Lucky Number Slevin tonight as i remember it being quite good when isaw it at the cinema

Ooooooh, Slevin and Revolver, were just about as bad as they come. But each to his/her own I guess.

The Orphanage was richt fine - ther there were strong parallels with The Sixth Sense and The Others.

This Thursday Belmont cinema 845pm

Occasional Monsters (15)

Director: Michael Cox, Sam Addison Origin: United Kingdom Year: 2008 Duration: 130 Starring: Craig Stewart, Ronnie Caird, Ben Walker, Marcus McMillan

Things are looking good for Duane and Wolfgang. They have a solid friendship, a new business, and a documentary film crew to capture it all. Who needs doubt when you plan to hunt monsters for a living? They don't need much to make their dream a reality: just a little money and some good PR. And, ideally, some occasional monsters.

This Thursday Belmont cinema 845pm

Occasional Monsters (15)

Director: Michael Cox, Sam Addison Origin: United Kingdom Year: 2008 Duration: 130 Starring: Craig Stewart, Ronnie Caird, Ben Walker, Marcus McMillan

Things are looking good for Duane and Wolfgang. They have a solid friendship, a new business, and a documentary film crew to capture it all. Who needs doubt when you plan to hunt monsters for a living? They don't need much to make their dream a reality: just a little money and some good PR. And, ideally, some occasional monsters.

That looks awesome. I am so there. Which one are you?

Recently watched -

Aliens - Which I've never actually got round to watching before. It was really good! All action, really creepy, loads of jumpy bits, edge of the seat stuff! Better than the original which I thought dragged a little.

4/5

Superman IV - Fairly pants. Feels as though it was made up of offcuts from the first three films, some awful effects (Superman using some weird blue eye-rays to rebuild the great wall of China); gaping plot-holes (Lois Lane flying through space without a spacesuit or oxygen mask); boring sub-plot (the media moguls buying the Daily Planet - yawn); annoying characters (Lex Luthor's nephew); and the gayest super-villian ever (Nuclear Man). Phoned-in performances all round, with the expception of Gene Hackman who had a devilish glint in his eye as Lex Luthor.

2/5 (mostly due to Gene Hackman)

I also watched The Notorious Bettie Page which was OK but a little flimsy. It didn't dig very deep into her character, however I fell asleep half an hour before the end so it may have got better.

Finally got round to watching Once....and once was enough...very overrated, plus pretty pish music!

Yesterday I watched The Lady Vanishes (orig) for the umpteenth time...brilliant! Tomorrow's treat will be Stormy Weather, followed by The Ghost Breakers (both of which I'm copying for my mum).....luvvvvvvly! Quite fancy a Will Hay frenzy sometime soon, too. :up:

Waterworld - starring Kevin Costner as some kind of monosyllabic man-fish. It's sooooooo boring.

A lot could, and has been, writtten about how Hollywood's one-time golden boy suffered such a swift and severe backlash - this movie must be a major part of it. It feels like a vanity project for Kevin Costner, the last in a long line of sprawling 'epics' which got more pompous and overblown with every movie that passed until the movie-going public got nauseous and couldn't take any more. I think the fame went to his head. This is 2 and a half hours of drawn-out boredom.

Waterworld - starring Kevin Costner as some kind of monosyllabic man-fish. It's sooooooo boring.

A lot could, and has been, writtten about how Hollywood's one-time golden boy suffered such a swift and severe backlash - this movie must be a major part of it. It feels like a vanity project for Kevin Costner, the last in a long line of sprawling 'epics' which got more pompous and overblown with every movie that passed until the movie-going public got nauseous and couldn't take any more. I think the fame went to his head. This is 2 and a half hours of drawn-out boredom.

Didn't stop him from making The Postman...

Having said that, i don't actually dislike either.

Oh, and Mr Brooks is a great film too. :up:

Wtached a couple recently.

I've been playing Rome:Total War lately which probably inspired me to watch the simply dire "Epic", Gladiator. Utterly lame. Not even saved by Ollie.

Then (In the same evening - I was house-sitting and basically raided the DVD collection...) I watched Munich. An entirely wasted evening.

Not too long ago I watched American Psycho which I quite enjoyed though, despite not really liking Bale - he was great in this (the acting in the scene where he was crying to his lawyer on the phone was amazing) and the pacing of the film was perfect - a bit like a sterile Taxi Driver.

I haven't really seen a great film since There Will Be Blood.

Actually - did anyone see Wall-E?

Didn't stop him from making The Postman...

Having said that, i don't actually dislike either.

Oh, and Mr Brooks is a great film too. :up:

Was the Postman after Waterworld? I thought it was the other way round.

Waterworld was just so stupid, it didn't even make sense in places. Like, all the inhibitants of Waterworld had no idea that "Dryland" was really just the land underneath the seas? It had only happened a few hundred years before and there were obviously survivors, as it said so right at the beginning! Do people not pass down stories in the future? Plus, they had massive tankers, and aeroplanes and jetskis. Where did they think they came from? And the materials required to make those? And they had cars! And the jetskis had internal combustion engines! This requires oil. Oil requires drilling. If they were drilling, then they must have known what was beneath them. And the people on the Atoll were amazed when they saw a mirror! A fucking mirror! There's gigantic oil tankers, and cars, and you're honestly meant to believe they've never seen a mirror before? And what's more, they had bottles of Jack Daniels, complete with labels. I don't think you'd need to be that smart to figure out what all this stuff came from.

Maybe I just read into it a little bit too much.

Was the Postman after Waterworld? I thought it was the other way round.

Waterworld was just so stupid, it didn't even make sense in places. Like, all the inhibitants of Waterworld had no idea that "Dryland" was really just the land underneath the seas? It had only happened a few hundred years before and there were obviously survivors, as it said so right at the beginning! Do people not pass down stories in the future? Plus, they had massive tankers, and aeroplanes and jetskis. Where did they think they came from? And the materials required to make those? And they had cars! And the jetskis had internal combustion engines! This requires oil. Oil requires drilling. If they were drilling, then they must have known what was beneath them. And the people on the Atoll were amazed when they saw a mirror! A fucking mirror! There's gigantic oil tankers, and cars, and you're honestly meant to believe they've never seen a mirror before? And what's more, they had bottles of Jack Daniels, complete with labels. I don't think you'd need to be that smart to figure out what all this stuff came from.

Maybe I just read into it a little bit too much.

Yeah, The Postman was 1997. I think Waterworld was '95.

I think you're over-analyzing it to be honest. It's also worth bearing in mind that it wasn't exactly a Box Office flop. It did make $88m above it's Budget. I know that doesn't necessarily make it a "good" film but as far as post-apocalyptic action/adventure films go, it ain't a bad one.

I watched The Thing the other night. I love that movie, Kurt Russell is formidably follicular throughout and the special effects are just the right side of guff to add to the entertainment. Fair play for the morally dubious, but genius move of using an armless extra in a scene where a guy gets his arms bitten off.

I think I may watch 80s classic War Games tonight, "would you like to play a game ?". Only in the 80s could you hack into an army supercomputer using a ZX81 with a 16K added RAM pack.

I watched The Thing the other night. I love that movie, Kurt Russell is formidably follicular throughout and the special effects are just the right side of guff to add to the entertainment. Fair play for the morally dubious, but genius move of using an armless extra in a scene where a guy gets his arms bitten off.

The Thing is brilliant!

When they flamethrow the fuck out of the guy on the medical table only for the head to jump off and mutate again -

"You gotta be fucking kidding"

Genius.

Yeah, The Postman was 1997. I think Waterworld was '95.

I think you're over-analyzing it to be honest. It's also worth bearing in mind that it wasn't exactly a Box Office flop. It did make $88m above it's Budget. I know that doesn't necessarily make it a "good" film but as far as post-apocalyptic action/adventure films go, it ain't a bad one.

I think you're 'under-analyzing' to be honest. If you compare the movie;s takings at the box office it just just broke even. If you compare it to the story/plot of every other "post-apocalyptic action/adventure" film it's horrible...

I think you're 'under-analyzing' to be honest. If you compare the movie;s takings at the box office it just just broke even. If you compare it to the story/plot of every other "post-apocalyptic action/adventure" film it's horrible...

Nope, i'm afraid you're wrong on its takings worldwide at the Box Office.

I wanted to watch Donnie Darko last night, but some thieving bastard has stolen my copy...

I ended up watching the Shining, which scared the bejesus out of as per usual. A top quality film... Although, I've never felt any sympathy for Shelly Duvall due to her constant whining. 5 months of that would have me chasing her round a hotel with an axe.

• Upvote 2