aberdeen-music

The Official "Best gig I've been to" Thread 2007

haven't been to many but i've been to some great ones:

best was paul gilbert at some wee club in leeds. being a few metres away from one of the best guitarists in the world playing for a couple of hours was awesome. his band was shit hot as well.

closely followed by the boredoms at lemon tree and steve vai at carling academy glasgow

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if their usual live show is so heavily based on samplers/effects but that's pretty much all that they were using, which made for a very atmospheric, ambient yet powerful sound that kept making me think of Suicide's early stuff, which is a comparison that hadn't really sprung to mind before. Better yet, I think they're back in early 2008 so I'll hopefully get to see a more 'conventional' set from the whole group then :)

When I saw them a couple of years back thats pretty much all they had.

any Archives show

yes

ISIS / The Oxbow Acoustic Duo at Oran Mhor in Glasgow. Don't care what other folk say about it, it's the only time I've seen ISIS so I've nothing to compare it too.(sic)

yes

i've been to a poor number of shows this year

still to come... Kaddish and the rest in CELLAR 35 on the 1st Shai Hulud in Moshulu on the 4th

FEEDING OF THE 5000 at Shepherds Bush Empire Nov. 24th and 25th with Steve Ignorant and selected guests + Conflict, Zounds, Flux Of Pink Indians, The Restarts, The Disrupters, and Deviated Instinct.

FEEDING OF THE 5000 afterparty at The Dome with Rubella Ballet, Anima Mundi, and Police Bastard.

New Model Army at The Tunnels Nov. 15th.

Although I enjoyed most gigs this year, these are the nights I want to repeat again and again:

Fulborn Teversham - Tunnels

Quack Quack - Tunnels

Damo Suzuki - Tunnels

Kling Klang - Tunnels

Vom - Tunnels

The Fall - Tunnels

Thee More Shallows - Tunnels

The Hidden Masters - Lemon Tree

Boredoms - Lemon Tree

The standout gig of the year for me was Sonic Boom Six, The King Blues, Failsafe and Mouthwash at Kef in March. The first 3 are 3 of my favourite UK bands and are all amazing live, so to have them play on the same night was just ace. There was a massive crowd, everyone was dancing and it was just one of those gigs with a great atmosphere.

Other notable gigs were:

Gallows at The Tunnels

The JB Conspiracy at Drouthy's in Dundee

Chief at The Tunnels and in North Berwick w/ Howards Alias

The Living End at Glasgow Cathouse

Zebrahead at Glasgow Cathouse

The King Blues are on at The Tunnels on Weds 5th Dec and Sonic Boom Six are playing Drummonds on Fri 7th Dec. Check 'em out!

Although I enjoyed most gigs this year, these are the nights I want to repeat again and again:

Fulborn Teversham - Tunnels

Quack Quack - Tunnels

Damo Suzuki - Tunnels

Kling Klang - Tunnels

Vom - Tunnels

The Fall - Tunnels

Thee More Shallows - Tunnels

The Hidden Masters - Lemon Tree

Boredoms - Lemon Tree

I forgot about the Fall...that was a rare treat!

Guest idol_wild

I actually think the Meursault/Kitchen Cynics/No Pasaran show at The Tunnels at the end of August was pretty bloody good too. Each act was on sublime form.

But wait...nobody turned up for that gig! :swearing:

Guest idol_wild
That was, indeed, a fine night....hopefully we'll see Meursault back soon.

It just so happens that I have him, with his full band, back up early next year. More details will be announced in due course. :up:

Back on topic:

Akron/Family, Howlin' Rain, Phosphorescent. Lemon Tree. Last night.

Christ, I can't remember what I've been to.

Action Beat and Destructo Swarmbots were great, so happy to have opened for them. Idlewild at Music Hall was pretty special. Any time I've seen Copy Haho they were great, Vom and PVH were fantastic (never got to see Andr Duracell, because public transport is rubbish).

Aereogramme at the QMU must be the best this year though. So, so amazing.

I have a funny feeling i've only been to Download in the last year...

That's shockingly poor.

Korn w/Joey Jordison were fucking awesome. And Maiden, perhaps alot to do with announcing the Somewhere Back in time tour, pyramids n all.

Tho if we make it in the last 12 months i could probably involve Tool, which was probably one of the best shows i've seen in my life.

Biffy Clyro - Union Chapel, London - 23/11/07. Christopher's River, Breatheher and The Atrocity? Contender for best gig of my life.

Aereogramme - QMU, Glasgow - 16/06/07. Simple Process Of Elimination and Shouting for Joey. You fuckin' beauty.

Biffy Clyro - Music Hall, Aberdeen - 30/05/07. Because it was my birthday. 8-)

Manic Street Preachers - Music Hall last night, if only for getting to see them in such a cosy venue

This indeed was a very good gig. I'm not a big fan of the Manics at all, I only like the Holy Bible, but it was an excellent show. A much better gig than the debacle of Kings of Leon on Saturday.

Nicky Wire telling Jamie Oliver to fuck off was also very good.