aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the love of fucking christ!!!! I'm beginning to think that you'd actually have to be shot or stabbed by a Rangers player in the box to get a fucking penalty. That's two important legitimate penalties we've been denied against Rangers this season. And what the fuck was with disallowing that goal. Offside my cunting arse!

McCurry, you sir a wanker of the highest order. :down:

The interview with Chick Young and Levein/Thompson is legendary.

SPL will be in turmoil when every referee goes down to Manchester to support Rangers.

If we can keep hold of Craig Levein i can easily see a rosier future with him and Stephen Thompson holding the reigns for the club. Stephen is just as passionate about the club as Eddie and the level of camaraderie between him and Levein is great.

Boy would i love to be a fly on the wall during any disciplinary hearing relating to this incident. Usually i think managers would benefit from choosing their comments wisely but in this case Levein was like a bull in a china shop and it may pay off in the end. I'm sure Calderwood and Strachan would be more than happy to lend some weight behind a case for refereeing inconsistency in the SPL. Walter Smith was happily moaning this morning about decisions going against Rangers throughout the season, but at least they are still in a position where they can walk off with 4 pieces of silverware this season (albeit one that was robbed from us ;) ) so it's not like they have it bad really. Neither do Celtic for that matter.

The nonsense decisions that the non-old firm clubs have to put up with just so that we can have a photo finish at the end of this season is growing tiring. I know it's all about money, but it wouldn't hurt to have a level playing field for everyone. Somethings got to change and soon.

If we can keep hold of Craig Levein i can easily see a rosier future with him and Stephen Thompson holding the reigns for the club. Stephen is just as passionate about the club as Eddie and the level of camaraderie between him and Levein is great.

Boy would i love to be a fly on the wall during any disciplinary hearing relating to this incident. Usually i think managers would benefit from choosing their comments wisely but in this case Levein was like a bull in a china shop and it may pay off in the end. I'm sure Calderwood and Strachan would be more than happy to lend some weight behind a case for refereeing inconsistency in the SPL. Walter Smith was happily moaning this morning about decisions going against Rangers throughout the season, but at least they are still in a position where they can walk off with 4 pieces of silverware this season (albeit one that was robbed from us ;) ) so it's not like they have it bad really. Neither do Celtic for that matter.

The nonsense decisions that the non-old firm clubs have to put up with just so that we can have a photo finish at the end of this season is growing tiring. I know it's all about money, but it wouldn't hurt to have a level playing field for everyone. Somethings got to change and soon.

Strachan can fuck off, his team isn't exactly treated unfavourably.

Good grief, they're charging shitloads for a United top I got for a quid in Barnardos!

On a related note, this from the BBC website:

taken from daily telegraph 15/11/2000 rangers v aberdeen

"ABERDEEN have made an official complaint about referee Mike McCurry after their 2-1 defeat by Rangers on Sunday.

Match official McCurry angered Ebbe Skovdahl, the Aberdeen manager, with some of his decisions, including not awarding two penalties and a challenge by Fernando Ricksen on Darren Young."

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ma...

BBC Article Monday, 11 November, 2002 Hibs v rangers

"Hibs manager Bobby Williamson is almost certain to be fined for his verbal attack on referee Mike McCurry.

Williamson was seething at the end of his side's defeat by Rangers over McCurry's failure to award a penalty when Bert Konterman handled in the box."

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foo...

BBC Article Saturday, 11 December, 2004 dunde utd v rangers

"Dundee manager Jim Duffy was convinced that the opening goal in his side's 3-0 defeat at Ibrox should not have been allowed.

Duffy was adamant that referee Mike McCurry had blundered by penalising Jonay Hernandez for a penalty box challenge on Novo.

He said: "I have to say I thought the first goal was highly controversial.

"Nacho didn't complain that much and even the crowd were quiet when he went down in the box."

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foo...

I really do think people are too quick to speak about a "Rangers bias". Surely it's an Old Firm bias?

No, historically it's most definitely a Rangers bias. It's been going on for years. Celtic certainly do get some favourable decisions but not necessarily that much more than any other team.

This season, certainly towards the closing stages, it's become apparent that the "powers that be" wish the SPL climax to ape that of the Premier League. So Celtic have had an edge as well, i.e that incident against Aberdeen, in the run in.

No, historically it's most definitely a Rangers bias. It's been going on for years. Celtic certainly do get some favourable decisions but not necessarily that much more than any other team.

This season, certainly towards the closing stages, it's become apparent that the "powers that be" wish the SPL climax to ape that of the Premier League. So Celtic have had an edge as well, i.e that incident against Aberdeen, in the run in.

As long as I can remember, from a purely Aberdeen point of view, it's been fairly even. Anyone remember Derek Whyte's sending off back in about 2000 for example?

I always think Rangers have more of an influence at a higher level, i.e. leaning on the SFA/SPL, but Celtic just about match them for ridiculous refereeing decisions. And not just for big, memorable ones, but every single minor call going their way, particularly at Parkhead.

Maybe there is a slight Rangers bias overall, but it's not so significant that Celtic shouldn't stop their pitiful whining.