aberdeen-music

Massacre at US university

Chris

Guest Neutral
Jesus. MerryChristmas, I honestly hoped your input into this post was going to be ignored, you're disgusting. But I know it only makes you happier to hear such things.

It's horrific, of course it is. It's sad and unnessesary and tragic that *anyone* should lose their life in a violent manner, no matter if it's in a school shooting or in a place of war. I can relate more to the shooting at Virginia Tech because I'm a student, I think it's as simple as that. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must feel like to not know what's going on in your campus, to feel so left in the dark and be unaware about what's happening in a relatively exclusive environment a couple of miles square which you are a part of.

And the sad truth is that 300 people dying in Iraq simply doesn't get the coverage this does, partly because it happened in America and is therefore not only instantly deemed internationally important, but also because those 300 people probably died in small groups, not because of one mass fatal incident. The news can only report so much on TV, they have to be selective. We share basically the same culture as Americans, there's a high chance there are some britons at that university, or some students from Virginia on placement here. It's not fair, but that's how it is.

*edited*

I hadn't heard that story Stripey, but I suspect it falls into the category of 'in paper but not on TV' coverage. Not an excuse however.

Dont get me wrong I do feel for the victims and their families but you have to admit that the media coverage is a bit much

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it a bit much? It's on the news because (shock!) it's news. People want to know about it. As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any special news broadcasts. It happened yesterday for god's sake. They've only just started being able to confirm the victims.

bbc news24 had continous coverage of it all day yesterday

For the people who dont understand Stripeys angle, its pretty easy, we gag at the thought of a school shooting in America causing a reasonable amount of death. Yet much worse things go on everyday that we feel little emotion for. Selective media is a sickening tool and it is quite horrific the amount of coverage this has recieved. No one is denying its horrible, but its also not worth 3 days of non stop news.

That wasn't meant to be justification, just the basic facts.

Sit an average "Western" family down infront of the TV and turn on the news to "...a suicide bomber with a bomb belt got into the lobby of the School of Administration and Economy of Mustansiriya University in Baghdad..". That's probably about as far as it would get before channel hopping begins.

Sit them down infront of "30 gunned down by Madman at Virginia University.." and you've got them for hours.

The world is a shit.

Metarie, read what Shaki has said.

32 Americans have been killed and its like 9/11 all over again regarding the coverage.

Even Beslan received a fraction of the media coverage compared to the Virginia tech shootings. Infact, most probably your average American tv viewer will ask "where is Beslan?"

The arguement could be that the US is nowhere near Beslan but in perspective 344 people were killed there but it had little US media coverage.

Here's an interesting fact. Here in Switzerland, they still have national service, and every Swiss male has to serve in the army part time for a number of years. While they are serving in the army, they are required to keep an assualt rifle at home, and upon leaving the army, they recieve the rifle that they used while in the army as a sort of 'leaving token', like a medal to prove they have completed their training, and also in case they get called up again and have to serve. As such, there are more guns per head in Switzerland than there are in any other country in the world, USA included.

In addition there are shops on the high streets that sell everything from Uzis to AK47's, no licence required. At a car boot sale last week, I spotted a harpoon gun and a bayonet for sale among the clutter. And the government sell off army surplus guns to the general public when they buy new ones for the army. The police all carry guns. It's probably easier to get a gun here than anywhere else. The Swiss are gun mad, but gun crime in Switzerland is so low that they don't even bother to keep statistics.

OK it could be argued that there is not nearly as much poverty and deprivation in Switzerland as there is in the States, but it's not just the poor who shoot people, plenty rich folks do it too. So why aren't the Swiss all blowing each other's heads off and running into colleges and shooting everything that moves if it's simply down to lax gun laws?

More about it here

BBC News | EUROPE | Switzerland and the gun

Same point is made about Canadians owning guns for hunting.

My understanding of the right to bare arms in the US consitution, it was awarded to Americans in an attempt to remove power from central government. The theory being that Americans would form local millitias rather than a US millitary. These local militias would be able to stand up against tyranny by central government and possibly be used to defend the country from attack.

This would be happening at the same time the nationalist movement in mainland Europe and Russia was gaining ground. Nationalism said that large block countries were superior millitary powers. The 'Founding Fathers' were in favour of the individual states having further controls over their own affairs rather than 'federalism'.

The average American says he/she wants a gun to go hunting and to defend their family from their neighbours or black people.

Switzerland also doens't have the same violent culture and I suspect you would find that violent crime of all sorts is low also.

disclaimer: i am not an expert.

My understanding of the right to bare arms in the US consitution, it was awarded to Americans in an attempt to remove power from central government..

The right to roll your sleeves up in public should be global :up: The right to bare boobs too.

(I don't know anything about that so made a joke instead)

The Swiss example is a good one regarding gun crime but then they are a pretty unique country (I think they're just biding their time before they take over the whole world). However, if one Swiss psychopath decides they want to go on a killing spree then they do have the tools to do so and I reckon the Swiss would soon rethink their policy.

And from the fruitloop corner, the tinfoil-hat brigade pitch in with this:

http://www.info * wars.com/articles/us/va_tech_massacre_another_gov_black_op.htm

(Link broken with *)

Early details about the horrific school shooting at Virginia Tech strongly indicate that these events represent a Columbine-style black-op that will be exploited in the coming days to push for mass gun control and further turning our schools into prisons.

<snip>

Eyewitness accounts describe police hiding behind trees and failing to pursue the killer, while ordering the school to be placed on lockdown so nobody could escape the carnage..

Meanwhile, Scientology are circulating an email blaming it all on psychatric drugs:

According to breaking news from investigators at Virginia Tech, Cho may have taken depression drugs—documented by the Food and Drug Administration to cause suicidal behavior, mania, psychosis, hallucinations, hostility and “homicidal ideation.” If Cho Seung-Hui’s psychiatric drug use is confirmed, it would bring the total to 61 killed and 77 wounded by psychiatric drug-induced school shootings.

Could they sink any lower?

For the people who dont understand Stripeys angle, its pretty easy, we gag at the thought of a school shooting in America causing a reasonable amount of death. Yet much worse things go on everyday that we feel little emotion for. Selective media is a sickening tool and it is quite horrific the amount of coverage this has recieved. No one is denying its horrible, but its also not worth 3 days of non stop news.

Personally, while not to belittle what has happened in the US this week, I was more disgusted by the blanket coverage and collective hand-wringing over the Prince William relationship breakup.:swearing: as if that had any importance or relevance to our lives.

Not to take anything away from the suffering of those in Virginia, perhaps this should be in a different thread, but the short piece of news I saw today (channel 4) was about 5 interviews with teachers of the "Virginia Wolf" (I just came up with that!), some pyschologists and an ex FBI criminal profiler. I'm pretty sure that was the main story (unless I turned it on late).

Iraq: "the worst day of violence since a US security operation began"

Poor Wills and Kate though eh.

Winna change mind you so no point grumpin much more....

I don't actually consider Cho Seung-Hui a monster. He was simply a very mentally ill person who by signing a piece of paper could have access to guns. The US gun laws failed the families of the people killed. Propaganda is trying to label this guy a serial killer/evil incarnate etc but really, metally ill people simply shouldn't have easy access to guns.

I'm not joking but those pictures scare the shit out of me.

And this morning I woke up at 8am to a clip of the guy going ''IM GONNA SLIT YOUR THROAT'' on the news. It was horrible.

I really don't think that media should have been released.

He wasn't saying "im gonna slit your throat" he was saying "do you know what it feels like to have your throat slit?" probably meant in some metaphorical sense. Slightly different.