aberdeen-music

Massacre at US university

Chris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that's really fucked up. It brings up a question, is it time for America to scrap the "constitutional right to bear arms" and introduce a handgun ban? it would certainly lower the number of shooting crimes each year. A lot of American would oppose it but it would save a lot of lives.

They had some American bloke on Channel 4 news tonight, and asked him -

"That's the 19th School shooting massacre in 10 years. How many before the U.S. rethinks its stance on handguns?"

He looked like he just couldn't even understand the question. Clearly never even occurred to him there was a problem.

Guest Neutral

There is far too much coverage of it on tv but I think that might because it affects us immensely on this island 5000 or so miles away

Its not important in this country

Yeah i just read about it , why does it have to be the innocent that suffer ?

Charles Whitman eat yer heart out !

Are these "massacre's " because of complete psychotic minds , or just pure frustration caused by the society surrounding and consuming us day by day ?

I think you have to be psychotic rather than frustrated to massacre 30 people you probably don't know.

They had some American bloke on Channel 4 news tonight, and asked him -

"That's the 19th School shooting massacre in 10 years. How many before the U.S. rethinks its stance on handguns?"

He looked like he just couldn't even understand the question. Clearly never even occurred to him there was a problem.

Why does that not surprise me?

Nearly 300 innocent people were killed in Iraq this saturday. Barely makes the news letalone the headlines. Why do the americans think they should have a monopoly on sympathy? It's disgusting.

Believe it or not, a lot more than 30 people died in Britain on Saturday too. That doesn't make this killing spree any less disgusting.

The fact that it took place in a university and is partially the fault of pathetic gun laws makes it particularly disturbing.

Believe it or not, a lot more than 30 people died in Britain on Saturday too. That doesn't make this killing spree any less disgusting.

The fact that it took place in a university and is partially the fault of pathetic gun laws makes it particularly disturbing.

Did I say it wasn't a bad thing? No. You miss the point - the fact that the press are all over this, hyping it up is what's disgusting.

300 men women and children dying pointless violent deaths in a single day, because of this country and the americans, should be all over the news, there should be outrage. I guess whining about a handful of well off american white kids makes better TV.

Did I say it wasn't a bad thing? No. You miss the point - the fact that the press are all over this, hyping it up is what's disgusting.

300 men women and children dying pointless violent deaths in a single day, because of this country and the americans, should be all over the news, there should be outrage. I guess whining about a handful of well off american white kids makes better TV.

That's the way it is and the way it will always be unfortunately. They're not people "like us". Same with the media coverage and international reaction of the Rwandan genocide compared to that of the Bosnian conflict.

Man, that's really fucked up. It brings up a question, is it time for America to scrap the "constitutional right to bear arms" and introduce a handgun ban? it would certainly lower the number of shooting crimes each year. A lot of American would oppose it but it would save a lot of lives.

i think all the school shootings they've had already brought the question up.

Wow some sick motherfucker created a game - a game of two sides - good versus evil

Super Columbine Massacre RPG!

Thats really bad from an ethical and moral standpoint

There was a really interesting article in games magazine a couple of months ago. One of the points it brought up was is this game sicker than the glut of real war themed games available in the mainstream?

An interesting point.....

"300 men women and children dying pointless violent deaths in a single day, because of this country and the americans, should be all over the news, there should be outrage. I guess whining about a handful of well off american white kids makes better TV."

What a pr*ck. Why would you say that? How can you posiible compare the war in Iraq to what happened yesterday. People like you make me detest this place. Pr*ck.

Guest Neutral
"300 men women and children dying pointless violent deaths in a single day, because of this country and the americans, should be all over the news, there should be outrage. I guess whining about a handful of well off american white kids makes better TV."

What a pr*ck. Why would you say that? How can you posiible compare the war in Iraq to what happened yesterday. People like you make me detest this place. Pr*ck.

SPARTA

Israeli lecturer among those killed in massacre at Virginia university - International Herald Tribune

Guest b-bert

How can anyone say this doesnt affect us just because we are a certain distance away?

My flat mate actually studied there last year and found out he knew someone in the room where the shooting happened in the engineering building. ('luckily' he had jumped out a window)

What's the difference between a suicide bomber driving into a crowded market place before blowing up all the innocents around him, and a suicidal maniac shooting 30 people before turning the gun on himself?

There's no punchline to that, both are tragic, but hours and hours of endless tv footage and interviews with weepy female students is not justified atall.

What's the difference between a suicide bomber driving into a crowded market place before blowing up all the innocents around him, and a suicidal maniac shooting 30 people before turning the gun on himself?

Ethnicity

Economy

Culture

Geography

Motive

Regularity of Occurence

"Shock Value"

Potential to be made into a movie

Impact on the Western World and how much the majority give a fuck

The "Who's to blame" circus....

"on February 26 a suicide bomber with a bomb belt got into the lobby of the School of Administration and Economy of Mustansiriya University in Baghdad and managed to set it off despite being spotted at the last minute by university security guards. The blast killed 41 and wounded a similar number according to late reports, with body parts everywhere and big pools of blood in the foyer as students were shredded by the high explosives. "

Maybe when you start talking about incidents like this, you can morally justify all the sickening whining going on about the massacre in america.

Jesus. MerryChristmas, I honestly hoped your input into this post was going to be ignored, you're disgusting. But I know it only makes you happier to hear such things.

It's horrific, of course it is. It's sad and unnessesary and tragic that *anyone* should lose their life in a violent manner, no matter if it's in a school shooting or in a place of war. I can relate more to the shooting at Virginia Tech because I'm a student, I think it's as simple as that. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must feel like to not know what's going on in your campus, to feel so left in the dark and be unaware about what's happening in a relatively exclusive environment a couple of miles square which you are a part of.

And the sad truth is that 300 people dying in Iraq simply doesn't get the coverage this does, partly because it happened in America and is therefore not only instantly deemed internationally important, but also because those 300 people probably died in small groups, not because of one mass fatal incident. The news can only report so much on TV, they have to be selective. We share basically the same culture as Americans, there's a high chance there are some britons at that university, or some students from Virginia on placement here. It's not fair, but that's how it is.

*edited*

I hadn't heard that story Stripey, but I suspect it falls into the category of 'in paper but not on TV' coverage. Not an excuse however.

That wasn't meant to be justification, just the basic facts.

Sit an average "Western" family down infront of the TV and turn on the news to "...a suicide bomber with a bomb belt got into the lobby of the School of Administration and Economy of Mustansiriya University in Baghdad..". That's probably about as far as it would get before channel hopping begins.

Sit them down infront of "30 gunned down by Madman at Virginia University.." and you've got them for hours.

The world is a shit.