aberdeen-music

top ten aberdeen bands

tobyb

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sye:

Ive got eleven. Sorry if they are pretty obvious but these are the bands I enjoy in Aberdeen (shockingly in no order):

Black Atom

The x-certs

The Gloria Flaw

Turning 13

Alyssa's Wish

Hot Mangu

Orwell

My Minds Weapon

We Become Less

Funktastic Four (if theyre still on the go)

Loaded

I love you Sye :)

Have I replied to this already???

Have I replied to this already? Not sure but here goes. Bet I give a totally different answer too... WTF!

I won't list 10 just the ones I've particularily like. Please also take into account that since I hardly ever get out of The Moorings I can only comment on bands that have played there. Also these are purely my own opinions based on personal taste - there are LOTS of good bands in Aberdeen!!!

In no particular order:

AKA The Fox - if you haven't seen them yet then you need to. They have an unusual blend of jazz and punk, that's hard to describe. The bass players a genius and the vocalist is a fantastic frontman. Not sure the drummer has much personality though ;)

Real Shocks - one of the most original bands I have encountered. The ultimate in cool. A band that would look equally at home playing a NY art gallery or a Berlin sex shop. Assuming such gigs ever took place.

48K - sadly lacking a drummer at present and the guitar player is recovering from a serious accident. Before that they had some amazing tunes and in a hot bar at midnight the rare ability to turn water to wine. potentially the finest vocalist in Aberdeen when he is on form. Guitar player is self taught and has a unique style.

Toxik Ephex - I have always and will always love Toxik. Fred is the greatest songwriter of his generation IMHO. Chiz is the easily the equal of the drummer from SLF. Dod is a fantasic frontman with a great delivery. Frank is one of the nicest people I know.

7 Stone Under - they played a blinder the last time, on form they are a fantastic band. Great drummer and ace vocals.

Hex Pens - 16yr old guys playing jazz from hell. I wouldn't have believed this was possible until I saw it with my own eyes.

Let me think about the other 4...

Re: Have I replied to this already???

Originally posted by Flash@TMB:

Real Shocks - one of the most original bands I have encountered. The ultimate in cool. A band that would look equally at home playing a NY art gallery or a Berlin sex shop. Assuming such gigs ever took place.

erm... funny you should say that *stuffs sordid toys back in cupboard*

:angel:

Eric Euan - Just ace

Turning 13 - Another just ace band

AKA The Fox - Something a bit different from the usual heavy nonsense and again, ace

The Deviadas - Ace country vibes and Knopfler licks

That acoustic dude who played on the Eric Euan EP launch party (the chet atkins style guy) He was the best acoustic guitarist i've seen in Aberdeen

There is also an amazing Glasgow band called Snood, who i thought were excellent also

They are the bands that ive seen in Aberdeen that stand out the most

Cant think of anymore at the moment

Originally posted by thesultanofswing86:

That acoustic dude who played on the Eric Euan EP launch party (the chet atkins style guy) He was the best acoustic guitarist i've seen in Aberdeen

that'll be Chris Carrol. And he is indeed a fantastic guitar player.

I would like to add Atrium to my list. Great musicians and a great vocal with good melodic tunes.

Also some people will be pleased to hear that the much talked about Strobing Goat are playing The Moorings Bar this Saturday the 24th April. I specifically requested them when Hot Mangu pulled out.

My comments post gig...

Originally posted by psydoll:

What time will Strobing Goat be onstage on Saturday? I fancy checking them out and I should be heading there anyway. Just means I'll know whether to run or not :cheers:

I don't know I don't make those rules. Ask Jimmy or Rico.

If you come down before 1800 then maybe you'll get in for free. So RUN!!!!

Guest Old Bonsie

My two cents...

The Needles

Hookers Green No.1

King Liar & The Brutes

Dedalus

The Shakes

The Glorai Flaw

The X-Certs

Broken Sunshine

Sorry but I couldn't manage ten! I've probaly forgotton a few really good bands but I mean to see more local bands soon.

I'm so out of touch I don't know the difference between one scene and the other, and haven't seen most of the well-known Aberdeen bands, but since I was reactivated I've enjoyed........

Cuts

Eric Euan

Hookers Green No 1

King Liar & the Brutes

Kathryn Sawyer

Ziggy (still haven't seen the Staccatto Set)

Simon Gall Band

The Downroads (Glad they got a mention earlier....the gig at the Lemon Tree was great)

Delicate AWOL ( is Forgue local enough?)

I've probably missed out someone I really like......advance apologies. I'm hoping to add Suvara to my list after their gig at Drake's on Wednesday!

• 2 weeks later...

why am I not surprised that the majority of people that put Voice of Aggression in also listed Vomitus??

Voice of Aggression will soon be gone though.

My list. of bands that are still together

Bodies

Karloff

Bench

Bonesaw

Hearse Crash

Useful Idiot

10 Easy Wishes

EDIT: Seven Ston Under <---mighty as fuck

cant think of anymore.

best band Aberdeen ever had was......

KORPSE

and Residue and Oddity were good.

and what I got to hear of Ruptured Spleen was amazing.

Originally posted by Tav:

Bands that I think are good and I like to listen to -

Seven Stone Under

Lifeshade

Hot Mangu

We Become Less

Black Atom

Ian Simpson

8o

That's good company I'm keeping... *honoured* ... & not even a band... :D

Right. Now I've caught up on the 14 FUCKING PAGES of this....

I like (in no particular order):

Orwell

Electric Tibet

Saint Maybe

Hookers Green #1

Masamune

The Little Kicks

Paul Tasker

Tom Bigg