aberdeen-music

Suicide on Union Street

Scootray

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jake Wifebeater
So my parents were saying after I told them about it. It seems odd to do it in such a public place, to subject that amount of people as witnesses.

I suppose having witnesses legitimises it for them, I dunno. Better to burn out than fade away? Pretty selfish act, but if you're all set to weigh yourself in then it probably doesn't cross your mind. It's also pretty foolproof, you're unlikely to survive a 60 foot plunge. Doesn't really put me up nor down, the amount of people I knew who've killed themselves is well into double figures, you get used to it.

I can picture something pretty stupid being done on the back of this.

A 'Your Scottish Sun' campaign to have safety nets fitted to high up public places maybe?

Anyway, I think the guy was extremely selfish to kill himself using that particular method.

Im sure that he was not thinking "I wonder if anyone is watching me jump?" as he was plunging to his end.

As far as I can remember, it's always been a popular suicide spot.

Yes. There have not been so many in recent years but over the years, Union Bridge has been one of the main ones in the city.

I can picture something pretty stupid being done on the back of this.

A 'Your Scottish Sun' campaign to have safety nets fitted to high up public places maybe?

I'm pretty certain I remember just such a proposal after a particularly high number of jumps, some years back.

Didn't someone once jump off there feet first in a suicide attempt and just paralyse himself...

Again, I'm pretty certain that has happened several times but I think I can remember the particular one you are on about, didn't the EE do a big ongoing feature on him & his quite horrific multiple injuries/physical rehabilitation. A sort of "warning" to others?

Not really. About half of suicides are based on snap decisions made within ten minutes of the inital impulse.

So even your made up statistic suggests there's a 50/50 chance?

I'm not trying to be a bastard and imply it's not tragic. Just that I feel a lot more sorry for anybody who had to witness the death.