aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

And someone so up their own arse that they believe that anyone who doesnt conform to their preachings on art and music needs to get a life....

I enjoy art in all its forms, I can spend a few hours in an art gallery and come away knowing what I have liked and what I havent with no commercial pressures being brought to bear on me whatsoever....I feel the majority of people are the same, I dont listen to music because someone has told me to, I seek out what I like, or friends turn me on to stuff they like and again I believe a large proportion of people are the same.

What I dont need is someone telling me I am "childish" or "ignorant" because I like certain music, or believe that there is a healthy hardcore of musical talent that play instruments and perform live and dont spend their days locked in their bedroom looking for the next big "sample"....o_O

I also would love to know where you draw this "audio entertainment products and art" line.

You never seem willing to share what you think is musical "art" with us....why is that?

Oh and the "no such thing as bad music" quote came from John Peel....a man who's opinion on all things musical I respect 100,000,000 times more than yours.

Locked in the bedroom looking for a sample? This kind of tripe is typical from people who are totally ignorant about modern music and music production, and the fact it's been raised a couple of times in this thread already BY PEOPLE IN BANDS backs up my original POINT about cultural recidivism. It's no surprise that there are so many mediocre bands in Aberdeen churning out utterly banal dirge that sounds like a bad rip off of their PARENTS record collection, when they are still scrabbling about in the dark ages with their 4 tracks, unwilling to explore new creative tools because of either ignorance, apathy or complacency. Sadly, these 3 things seem to be the core cultural values of the north-east of scotland.

If you all you can do is insult me instead of actually providing a sensible counter-argument, then don't fucking bother.

P.S It's the 21st century and John Peel is dead, get over it.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
It was more that I found easily accessible information to make a point.

............but I do like you :love: :love: :love::kiss: :kiss: :kiss::love: :love: :love: :love:

Easy there, Tiger. Nah, you've kind of missed the point, all I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't get bogged down in "local scene" stuff, otherwise that's where you'll stay. Sure, I like this site, it has its place if used right but there's a whole world out there.........

Easy there, Tiger. Nah, you've kind of missed the point, all I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't get bogged down in "local scene" stuff, otherwise that's where you'll stay. Sure, I like this site, it has its place if used right but there's a whole world out there.........

Fair point.

I only stalk hypocrites, so we're finished. We can still be friends I hope!

Hope this comment is the nail in the coffin of this thread....... o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

Locked in the bedroom looking for a sample? This kind of tripe is typical from people who are totally ignorant about modern music and music production, and the fact it's been raised a couple of times in this thread already BY PEOPLE IN BANDS backs up my original POINT about cultural recidivism. It's no surprise that there are so many mediocre bands in Aberdeen churning out utterly banal dirge that sounds like a bad rip off of their PARENTS record collection, when they are still scrabbling about in the dark ages with their 4 tracks, unwilling to explore new creative tools because of either ignorance, apathy or complacency. Sadly, these 3 things seem to be the core cultural values of the north-east of scotland.

If you all you can do is insult me instead of actually providing a sensible counter-argument, then don't fucking bother.

P.S It's the 21st century and John Peel is dead, get over it.

Have you ever thought that you might enjoy music more if you werent hearing it from quite so far up your own arse?

Seriously, I'm interested now, name me some "artists" you like (I'm not sure if "like" is the right word, I apologise in advance). There's no point in being the messiah if you're not actually going to educate us.

Thats completly true and i totally agree with that, but it always helps to hear other people's experiences as well.

I agree, although I didn't get the impression that this thread was about that. In fact, as I understood it, it was started by a post grumping about how things were not meeting certain 'standards', which were themselves illconcieved and poorly defined. From then on, language was generally abused by various others to dictate how things should be, neglecting to see either, how hypocritical their positions were, or, how subjective the things they were talking about were in the first place. Now it seems to have degraded into one idiots blinkered view that music isn't worth listening to unless it was it was made on a computer around five years ago. This is also despite all individuals involved knowing that this person is incredibly hypocritical, and, ironically, incredibly and obliviously closed-minded.

Now it seems to have degraded into one idiots blinkered view that music isn't worth listening to unless it was it was made on a computer

Well the original post was about there being a lack of decent bands in aberdeen, no?

My response was along the lines of "I'm accusing them of not having the balls or the intelligence to even attempt anything fresh. Most of the trash churned out by the ten a penny bands in aberdeen sounds so dated and corny it's not even funny in an ironic sense, it's just pathetic." On-topic, no?

It's really unfortunate that any suggestion that there is anything wrong with the so-called "scene" up here is always met with personal attacks instead of any kind of genuine introspection. "LOL U USE A SAMPLER!". "U ONLY LISTEN TO MUSIC MADE ON A COMPUTER LOLZ!". What a load of ignorant crap.

Don't you think you should give us examples of 'good music' then stripey? That is different from all this current stuff coming out of aberdeen.

You've been asked already a few posts up, so it would be nice to have some stuff for people to listen to and see what viewpoint you are coming from.

Always good to listen to something new.

Is namby pamy shite the new punk rock?...I think NOT

new music is predominantly namby pamby shite - so get yer arse doon to The Blue Lamp on Saturday 28th October for some geriatric punk rock action with 16 again and AKA Ska belting oot a yer 2 tone favourites, there winna be a dry seat in the hoose, aye it's only covers, but every song will hae ye shooting yer bolt a ower the shop, FUCK NAMBY SHITE, revolt now, hae a good time seeing the orgasmic boys and girls in action and dress up in fancy dress, it's halloween so lets all get drunk and go nekkid and skank aboot.

As soon as people ditch the false notion of a "local" music scene, then we might make some headway here.

o_O

Interesting from someone who apparently doesn't care in the slightest what the 'locals' think of him or his band, yet when was the last time Spike Pliedriver ever played out of Aberdeen? For someone so vehemently DIY, you don't seem really arsed to try and make any kind of effort to expand your sphere of influence...

Easier to stick to not washing and moaning on the internet about how pathetic people in Aberdeen are, right? ;)

new music is predominantly namby pamby shite - so get yer arse doon to The Blue Lamp on Saturday 28th October for some geriatric punk rock action with 16 again and AKA Ska belting oot a yer 2 tone favourites, there winna be a dry seat in the hoose, aye it's only covers, but every song will hae ye shooting yer bolt a ower the shop, FUCK NAMBY SHITE, revolt now, hae a good time seeing the orgasmic boys and girls in action and dress up in fancy dress, it's halloween so lets all get drunk and go nekkid and skank aboot.

See you there :up:

:bat: :bat: :bat: :bat: :bat:

Why do you talk like somebody out of The Broons?

• Upvote 1

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Interesting from someone who apparently doesn't care in the slightest what the 'locals' think of him or his band, yet when was the last time Spike Pliedriver ever played out of Aberdeen? For someone so vehemently DIY, you don't seem really arsed to try and make any kind of effort to expand your sphere of influence...

Easier to stick to not washing and moaning on the internet about how pathetic people in Aberdeen are, right? ;)

There's always one who tries this old chestnut. Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening, does it? If you're interested (which you probably aren't but I'm going to tell you anyway), our most recent interview is in Russian, a fanzine from a guy in Belarus who's put out 2 comp tapes w/SPD trax on them and this guy has done far more for us than anyone from round here. Our CDr's literally go over the world, costs a bomb in postage but it beats sticking an MP3 on some Cryspace page. And yeah, we've gigged outside Aberdeen but we don't gig that often, to me the priority is releasing stuff and trading it, a great way to expand your collection.

And as for not washing, you can do better than that, surely?

There's always one who tries this old chestnut. Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening, does it? If you're interested (which you probably aren't but I'm going to tell you anyway), our most recent interview is in Russian, a fanzine from a guy in Belarus who's put out 2 comp tapes w/SPD trax on them and this guy has done far more for us than anyone from round here. Our CDr's literally go over the world, costs a bomb in postage but it beats sticking an MP3 on some Cryspace page. And yeah, we've gigged outside Aberdeen but we don't gig that often, to me the priority is releasing stuff and trading it, a great way to expand your collection.

And as for not washing, you can do better than that, surely?

Fair play, well done for that stuff.

We've obviously got very different ideas about the point of being in bands / creating music.

I'd rather get out on the road, meet as many people as possible and reach people with music that way, than piss money away on sending one CD-R to Outer Mongolia, when the same result (people hearing your music) can just as easily be done for free on 'Cryspace'.

Have to say, I've been away for a while, your puns really are still first class. ;)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'd rather get out on the road, meet as many people as possible and reach people with music that way, than piss money away on sending one CD-R to Outer Mongolia, when the same result (people hearing your music) can just as easily be done for free on 'Cryspace'.

Hmm, Outer Mongolia is as yet unchartered territory. Don't forget, not everyone has access to a computer so snail-mail still has its uses. Occasionally people don't reply if you haven't arranged, say, a 5 for 5 trade beforehand but I think maybe 3 people at most haven't got back to me over the years, it's pretty friendly and supportive. And the new postage grading system is working out cheaper for sending small packets. To be honest, I'm not clued up enough internet-wise to set up a homepage anyway so I'll leave that to Scorge when he can get round to it.