aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

Guest bluesxman
I still awake bathed in cold sweat from time to time ;) laughing:

Lets have 'L' plates for bands and then when they have fine tuned enough to play along side the big boys they get 'P' plates which they then remove on receipt of a hefty applause from and audience not made up of family and mates who love them regardless.

Ultimately being in a band is great fun and should always be so no matter the competency. What this thread is really about is the 'presumed or otherwise' lack of variety that you will find in a bigger city which in itself brings a higher prefessional benchmark.

Give that man a ceegar:gringo:

Thanks, don't smoke though.

Was the point I made not glaringly obvious many posts ago or do we all just come on here looking for a fight these days? :)

Yeah, but healthy discussion is always good. There hasn't been any fighting or name-calling on this thread. Just people not agreeing on certain things.

As i've said before the Aberdeen scene lacks a 'spirit' of acceptance. We're all too keen to segregate music and work against each other and a lot of people have forgotten about the bigger picture.

There are also too many people who are overly keen to knock younger bands when they're starting out. At the end of the day its not constructive and it doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Yeah, but healthy discussion is always good. There hasn't been any fighting or name-calling on this thread. Just people not agreeing on certain things.

As i've said before the Aberdeen scene lacks a 'spirit' of acceptance. We're all too keen to segregate music and work against each other and a lot of people have forgotten about the bigger picture.

There are also too many people who are overly keen to knock younger bands when they're starting out. At the end of the day its not constructive and it doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Yup... And not to disgree for the sake of it but my experience of the 'local' scene is not too bad on the acceptance front, A little healthy rivalry is never a bad thing. Again only in my experience. For bitching and in-fighting dip your toe at the higher end of the Scottish music industry...o_O Aberdeens arite really... :up:

I'm sorry but it comes down to this in my opinion.

Mr Maxwell gets a hair up his ass about something and has to basically pull other people down because of it. I bet if most of you had a listen to the bands he thinks are any good you wouldnt even say they sound good at what they do.

What we have to realise is most people here come on for half an hour or something. Some to promote a show, some to promote their band, some to see if there is any discussion they are interested in and some to waste some time before getting on with life. There is also a category of jokers that look see what ructions they can cause now and again (albeit light heartedly) ;). What our boy Stuart does, is use it as a way to make himself feel better. For this we should feel sorry for him. Now and again I see glimpses of a good guy like when we played this years Fudge Awards and he was telling me that certain levels need to go up etc. That made me think "that was good of him." Remember this though...and alot of people know this. Maxi generally likes shit music...didnt we all already know that?

I think that everyone in Aberdeen should be proud of our music scene. I know that Jamesy thinks it's the best fucking place in the world and that's pretty cool. I dont agree fully but I think we are pretty lucky you know. I've seen enough of other scenes to get a snapshot of what they're about and we should be pretty chuffed but hey...the grass is always greener.

Good on Edgar Prais going out and doing what they are doing thats wicked. Good on Karloff who have a fanbase it seems worldwide that we all forget about. Everywhere you go there is someone who has heard of them or been to a show or owns a tee shirt. Remember Genevieve went and played some shows on the continent and thats pretty cool. It doesnt matter what ambitions a band has. Just let them get on with it.

Maxwell is just annoyed that no one pays him any attention. Who is he anyway? He played in Orwell. I never saw them. Heard from trusted sources they were quite bad but you know like i said...let them get on with it. Who talks about them now though? Oh and didnt he fill in on bass for genevieve and looked the most awkward musician i've ever seen on stage? Yeah thats him. Who cares. Who do you see on these boards slagging off local bands the most? Thats right? Maxi. Maybe if he left the keyboard alone for a short while or at least put it to any good use rather than putting down others he could concentrate on making himself happy. Putting down others the way he always does is a sure sign that he isnt happy with himself.

I hope this doesnt get deleted because its just calling out some truths and adding to the discussion.

Yeah, i hope Ben's post doesn't get deleted too as i agree with most of it.

I would say though that Genevieve played only one show as a band in Belgium (there was a couple of impromptu back yarders too), we had hoped to do more though we didn't get the finger out ;) and Kenny played an acoustic show doing Genevieve songs in Belgium too.

We also valued Maxi's contribution to the band while he was a member of the band too and have enjoyed his constructive criticism since he left.

Guest bluesxman

That man can have a ceegar too. Just sell it if you don't smoke :gringo:

I think that everyone in Aberdeen should be proud of our music scene. I know that Jamesy thinks it's the best fucking place in the world and that's pretty cool. I dont agree fully but I think we are pretty lucky you know. I've seen enough of other scenes to get a snapshot of what they're about and we should be pretty chuffed but hey...the grass is always greener.

Good on Edgar Prais going out and doing what they are doing thats wicked. Good on Karloff who have a fanbase it seems worldwide that we all forget about. Everywhere you go there is someone who has heard of them or been to a show or owns a tee shirt. Remember Genevieve went and played some shows on the continent and thats pretty cool. It doesnt matter what ambitions a band has. Just let them get on with it.

That bit was the most sense you've talked on here for a long time. The rest was just Maxi bashing.

For the record I thought Orwell were great, even before I was friends with Maxi. They were a very rough around the edges but they put on a good show.

Anyway everyone on here is entitled to be as vocal as Maxi, it doesn't matter what they're achievements are or aren't.

That bit was the most sense you've talked on here for a long time. The rest was just Maxi bashing.

For the record I thought Orwell were great, even before I was friends with Maxi. They were a very rough around the edges but they put on a good show.

Anyway everyone on here is entitled to be as vocal as Maxi, it doesn't matter what they're achievements are or aren't.

Thanks.

It might be Maxi bashing but he hands out enough of his thoughts on here about both people and bands.

Its just as relevant/irrelevant as what he posts.

geeez.

dan - blah blah. im lookign to get excited about something. something that might say "yeah, to go with all of these ace bands who come play here, we have some ace bands going to do similar things in other places/countries". i.e. the fact that sandy galloway was mentioned in the thread as working on something excites me, a VERY talented/professional musician indeed who will no doubt form a quality act. potential was something that iomega said, def a part of it.

as for bens wee bit...

I'm sorry but it comes down to this in my opinion.

Mr Maxwell gets a hair up his ass about something and has to basically pull other people down because of it. I bet if most of you had a listen to the bands he thinks are any good you wouldnt even say they sound good at what they do.

What we have to realise is most people here come on for half an hour or something. Some to promote a show, some to promote their band, some to see if there is any discussion they are interested in and some to waste some time before getting on with life. There is also a category of jokers that look see what ructions they can cause now and again (albeit light heartedly) ;). What our boy Stuart does, is use it as a way to make himself feel better. For this we should feel sorry for him. Now and again I see glimpses of a good guy like when we played this years Fudge Awards and he was telling me that certain levels need to go up etc. That made me think "that was good of him." Remember this though...and alot of people know this. Maxi generally likes shit music...didnt we all already know that?

Maxwell is just annoyed that no one pays him any attention. Who is he anyway? He played in Orwell. I never saw them. Heard from trusted sources they were quite bad but you know like i said...let them get on with it. Who talks about them now though? Oh and didnt he fill in on bass for genevieve and looked the most awkward musician i've ever seen on stage? Yeah thats him. Who cares. Who do you see on these boards slagging off local bands the most? Thats right? Maxi. Maybe if he left the keyboard alone for a short while or at least put it to any good use rather than putting down others he could concentrate on making himself happy. Putting down others the way he always does is a sure sign that he isnt happy with himself.

I hope this doesnt get deleted because its just calling out some truths and adding to the discussion.

i thought it would be a matter of time before somebody came out with that :laughing: music i listen to is shite, woop de doo. i like it and lots of other people do too

done nothing musically etc etc perhaps i dont have the same kind of musical talents as yourself, i remember you being quite the drummer in quik etc and ive played in some other terrible bands in glasgow/abdn, played some right shambolic gigs, played through some right shit gear over the years too. surely this doesnt detract from the points i have been making though? it doesnt make me a hypocrite, it makes me experienced in what to look for. if you look deep down you can hardly disagree with the stuff i have said.

contrary to popular belief i dont actually spend my days mud slinging on the internet

the band i play in now are a good band though(maybe take a while to become a great band), we also know what it takes to be a great band. maybe you should come see us up here in november/december

the band i play in now are a good band though(maybe take a while to become a great band), we also know what it takes to be a great band. maybe you should come see us up here in november/december

Haven't most of the band you've been playing in been in a band together for donkeys years though? So they should be good by now ;)

I'm definately looking forward to seeing you guys when you're playing here.

Guest idol_wild
You have to see them live for the full experience. They are unrelenting brutal and heavy. And ace.

I don't doubt that actually, but it's not the kind of stuff I'd listen to ordinarily.

I mean, one of my favourite local bands is We Shall Be Blessed - their live show is immensely interesting and they put genuine craft into song-writing and arranging, but I would never EVER listen to them. I just like going to see them perform.