aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

Guest idol_wild

This thread is entirely about opinions. Personally, I think there are several quality bands in Aberdeen, new ones and those who have been around the block.

Maybe we should all just attend more local gigs and find them and support them?

ah!!!!!! does that mean we should all give up??

(p.s. taw remind me more of the locust/daughters/arab on radar/some fantomas etc)

Not at all, but i also didn't say i thought they were a great band. Converge et al do what they're doing at a much higher level, in my opinion. Given a couple of years etc TAW might be a great band but they don't provide me, as a listener and follower of that sort of music, with something to tear me away from buying the new Converge album, for example, and if TAW had an album out theres a good chance i would buy it but it would be well down my list of priorities. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to see them live unless they happened to be on a bill with other bands i wanted to see.

This thread is entirely about opinions. Personally, I think there are several quality bands in Aberdeen, new ones and those who have been around the block.

Maybe we should all just attend more local gigs and find them and support them?

True. Aberdeen's current 'scene' is still in its infancy/re-birth/whatever and requires a lot support from everyone that is associated with it. There's a higher proportion of bands on the Aberdeen scene that have formed within the last year or so than there are established bands and as has been said it does take time and effort for bands to hone their sound/live performance/ recordings. It's all going to take time and hard work but there is no reason why there shouldn't be as strong and varied a scene in Aberdeen than there is in many other UK cities.

In my opinion the thread about 'Audrey' is better than this one (it has a big photo) Just my opinion though...

I've seen some good threads come and go over the years with some entertaining posts. Some threads seem to stay the test of time, some are 'covers threads' and some are just starting out and in need of a little guidance. Some posts completely miss the point from time to time and jump on a thread genre that is sooooo out of date. There are a lot of good threads in the south though and sometimes they make it this far north and inspire other threads.

Its all good but please stop confusing a style of thread/post with being good or bad just because you don't like the music. (let the cat out of the bag on the last word there)

(caffieeeeeeeene!!!!!!!!o_O )

Not at all, but i also didn't say i thought they were a great band

Converge et al do what they're doing at a much higher level, in my opinion. Given a couple of years etc TAW might be a great band but they don't provide me, as a listener and follower of that sort of music, with something to tear me away from buying the new Converge album, for example, and if TAW had an album out theres a good chance i would buy it but it would be well down my list of priorities. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to see them live unless they happened to be on a bill with other bands i wanted to see.

should i say again that i aint asking for people opinions on this band and can it go back on topic please??

should i say again that i aint asking for people opinions on this band and can it go back on topic please??

Nobody was asking for your opinion on them either. You used them as an example of a band that were 'there' as opposed to the many bands in Aberdeen who aren't, i'm saying they are not. So i'm afraid they are relevant to the current discussion. :)

Christ, one thing should be made clear. I don't think Aberdeen genuinely knows how lucky it is to have the scene that it does. Down here, there's absolutely fuck all - some Drakes-like club that puts on Bluegrass every Wednesday, some other places that have the occasionally under 18's gig, that's it. It's absolutely fucking dire - and yes, I miss Aberdeen with it's overhyped bands that are still miles better than anything down here.

I don't know why people get hung up over whether music is "there" yet or not - I remeber a particular band playing an utter shambles of a set, yet it was the most fun I'd had in ages at a gig, just because the atmosphere was bang on. You don't have to be great musicians, just as long as you and the audience is having fun. Nothing else really matters, does it?

You don't have to be great musicians, just as long as you and the audience is having fun. Nothing else really matters, does it?

That's the right spirit, it's just a shame that everyonenow seems to be in their own bands and are too interested in looking cool to go to other shows / show interest in other bands.

(Possibly a new thread could start; entitled - "Is it too easy to start a band these days? - Get cheap instruments, write some shitty songs and play gigs before you're remotely ready thanks to the internet")

That's the right spirit, it's just a shame that everyonenow seems to be in their own bands and are too interested in looking cool to go to other shows / show interest in other bands.

(Possibly a new thread could start; entitled - "Is it too easy to start a band these days? - Get cheap instruments, write some shitty songs and play gigs before you're remotely ready thanks to the internet")

Great post. Couldnt agree more.

Bollocks.

There's no way a group of musicians can become a good well rounded live band without some hands on experience onstage. I've seen a lot of inexperienced bands work at it and become incredibley exhilirating to watch.

Pretty damn sure a lot of the people who are in these 'near perfect bands' had previous acts that weren't anywhere near as polished. And yeah, everyone used to play a shitty instrument at some point. You've got to start somewhere.

Sure, I hit the public domain a bit early when I was in high school bands, but that's because it was really fun and I couldn't wait to do it.

I still think this is boring.

There's load of ace venues, ace bands and an ace vibe in Aberdeen, outwith this little thing called 'Aberdeen-Music' and people around the UK are catching on more and more. Hot Chip adored it tonight, The Automatic swear by, Graham Coxon fucking loved every second, Tilly and the Wall cant wait to come back, EVERY HxC/Metal band say it's the best gig/hospitality/people in the UK, Subways keep in touch stressing they want to come back, same with Delays, Hard-Fi said it was the best gig they'd ever played up until that point last year, Paolo Nutini forgot his words cause he was overwhelmed by the people here and has asked me to sort him out some low-key Aberdeen shows, Jamie T wants to come back solo in Drummonds in Dec then to Moshulu with the band early next year, the NME want me to do ALL their tours in Aberdeen post Klaxons show and I've got Club NME launching November 7th in Moshulu...I could go on all day..

I went to London at the start of August, and everyone, as soon as I mentioned where I was from, straight away was asking about colonopenbracket/hookers green/edgar prais, I had Nine Black Alps manager phone me about another Aberdeen band this week, got bands offering my lot Scottish supports/tour supports all over the place, Needles have had 2 vids in 3 months all over NME.com and MTV2, Stapleton were blown away by Genevieve earlier this year and thought they were amazing, every band I've put Right Hand Left on with have been full of praise, Little Kicks just had XFM exposure pieces, MMw have a great track record for a band of their ilk, and with Cry For Silence just signing with My Chemical Romances manager, I'm sure that'll continue, especially with the inevitable rise of Enter Shikari, and the fact Flood of Red ain't far behind, The X-Certs have got the same booking agent as Maximo Park and Magic Numbers and will inevitably go on to great things...

Copy Haho are fantastic, Amber has a voice to die for, Fiction/Action get better and better, bands are requesting WSBB to do supports up here, do I really need to go on...?

And finally, the students ar beginning to rise, people are more and more coming out to shows, and coming back, not just for established touring acts, but for the underground and the local scene as well...

We'v got The Tunnels, Kef, Drummonds, The Lemon Tree, Moshulu, The Forum, The Music Hall, Boyd Orr @ AECC, Main AECC all more than capable of staging awesome gigs. What does Edinburgh have? Cab Vol, Liquid Rooms, Corn Exchange. Dundee? Doghuse, Reading Rooms, Fat Sams....

Crowd attendances in Aberdeen generally kick the shit out of Edinburgh, and ain't far off Glasgow these days, for a city our size, that's fucking amazing. That, and the fact, that let's face it, Aberdeen is a helluva nice compared to most in the UK...

All you negative ones are unappreciative fannies, take what you have and help it grow I say, dont piss and whine like a little bitch, it's getting really old.

• Upvote 1

I still think this is boring.

There's load of ace venues, ace bands and an ace vibe in Aberdeen, outwith this little thing called 'Aberdeen-Music' and people around the UK are catching on more and more. Hot Chip adored it tonight, The Automatic swear by, Graham Coxon fucking loved every second, Tilly and the Wall cant wait to come back, EVERY HxC/Metal band say it's the best gig/hospitality/people in the UK, Subways keep in touch stressing they want to come back, same with Delays, Hard-Fi said it was the best gig they'd ever played up until that point last year, Paolo Nutini forgot his words cause he was overwhelmed by the people here and has asked me to sort him out some low-key Aberdeen shows, Jamie T wants to come back solo in Drummonds in Dec then to Moshulu with the band early next year, the NME want me to do ALL their tours in Aberdeen post Klaxons show and I've got Club NME launching November 7th in Moshulu...I could go on all day..

I went to London at the start of August, and everyone, as soon as I mentioned where I was from, straight away was asking about colonopenbracket/hookers green/edgar prais, I had Nine Black Alps manager phone me about another Aberdeen band this week, got bands offering my lot Scottish supports/tour supports all over the place, Needles have had 2 vids in 3 months all over NME.com and MTV2, Stapleton were blown away by Genevieve earlier this year and thought they were amazing, every band I've put Right Hand Left on with have been full of praise, Little Kicks just had XFM exposure pieces, MMw have a great track record for a band of their ilk, and with Cry For Silence just signing with My Chemical Romances manager, I'm sure that'll continue, especially with the inevitable rise of Enter Shikari, and the fact Flood of Red ain't far behind, The X-Certs have got the same booking agent as Maximo Park and Magic Numbers and will inevitably go on to great things...

Copy Haho are fantastic, Amber has a voice to die for, Fiction/Action get better and better, bands are requesting WSBB to do supports up here, do I really need to go on...?

And finally, the students ar beginning to rise, people are more and more coming out to shows, and coming back, not just for established touring acts, but for the underground and the local scene as well...

We'v got The Tunnels, Kef, Drummonds, The Lemon Tree, Moshulu, The Forum, The Music Hall, Boyd Orr @ AECC, Main AECC all more than capable of staging awesome gigs. What does Edinburgh have? Cab Vol, Liquid Rooms, Corn Exchange. Dundee? Doghuse, Reading Rooms, Fat Sams....

Crowd attendances in Aberdeen generally kick the shit out of Edinburgh, and ain't far off Glasgow these days, for a city our size, that's fucking amazing. That, and the fact, that let's face it, Aberdeen is a helluva nice compared to most in the UK...

All you negative ones are unappreciative fannies, take what you have and help it grow I say, dont piss and whine like a little bitch, it's getting really old.

:up: I agree!

(and Vocoustics have fiinally confirmed a show o_O will be the first in 3months!!!!

Tunnels - November 12th - The Fortunate Sons - www.myspace.com/fsons ;) )