aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

Your only touting your own personal opinion, those bands you mentioned arent to my tastes, And at the end of the day "shit/gear/sound/professionalism" are irrelevant as long as people can put a good set together and keep people entertained. I know of plenty bands made up of people who are far from the greatest musicians but they can pull together a decent entertaining set.

I dont think there is anything wrong, there are more decent, entertaining, together bands in Aberdeen than there are in Edinburgh for instance, and just because you dont like them doesnt mean they are shit.

Guest Neubeatz
The members of the band I've been trying to start for the past 3 years have ditched me in favour of playing covers. Anyone looking to join a band? :down:

They are subintelligent fooz....

none of the bands mentioned are in the same calibre as local bands like take a worm for a walk week, desalvo, stapleton, kaddish, alamos, james orr complex, acrnym, eska, simplestorm.

bands like these are the standards im talkign about. somehow i dont see the likes of :( et al doing things as well as these guys.

These are personal tastes Maxi and there aren't that many bands from Aberdeen playing in these genres, unfortunately...

What does happen locally, I feel, is a band comes along performing something a little out of the ordinary, get a bit of recognition 'locally' and then go off on one. It tends to come unstuck when amongst the big boys but hopefully they watch and learn. I have absolutely no idea who I am taking about here, it is a cognitive knowing.

There is mostly, an huge element of professionalism to many acts coming to town and this may be due to them rehearsing lots before hitting the road as well as just being damn good. Much can be said for rehearsing heaps before taking to the stage though... Seen some great bands over the years raising the stakes for local bands. However, I would say that there are some great bands and songwriters in Aberdeen some of which aren't to my taste but unquestionably great live bands. This said, I haven't been out much lately...o_O:love: :up:

none of the bands mentioned are in the same calibre as local bands like take a worm for a walk week, desalvo, stapleton, kaddish, alamos, james orr complex, acrnym, eska, simplestorm.

bands like these are the standards im talkign about. somehow i dont see the likes of :( et al doing things as well as these guys.

what have any of those bands done tho?

I know of one of them and that is only because ive heard you talk about them, so i fail to see where they have achieved compared to other bands.

you dont know everything that everyband is doing behind the scenes and i happen to know of a few mentioned in this thread that have the opertunity to go on to much bigger and better things in the very near future.

maxi maxi maxi, i love you.

I'd say its normal that different bands hope to achieve different goals.

Obviously Take a Worm... haven't got a Pepsi Chart entry on their to-do list, but then again there are a lot of very ambitious bands (although not always entirely skilled) hoping to make a lot of money out of their music, and thus would have to compromise their style to fit in with what the majority of people want to listen to.

And believe it or not, a lot of bands just like hanging out, drinking beer and playing music that they love.

I do agree with Maxi in the hope that something utterly awesome will appear out of Aberdeen soon.

Your only touting your own personal opinion, those bands you mentioned arent to my tastes, And at the end of the day "shit/gear/sound/professionalism" are irrelevant as long as people can put a good set together and keep people entertained.

nonsense. and tbh i think bands like eska and james orr complex are pretty down your street going by what you put on and state that you listen to

there are more decent, entertaining, together bands in Aberdeen than there are in Edinburgh for instance,

hahahahahahaha. you having a laugh??

what have any of those bands done tho?

im not talking about what they have achieved. im talking about how good they are. for bands nto to my tastes but out there doing it well see found, popup, little kicks, dananananakroyd et al

you dont know everything that everyband is doing behind the scenes and i happen to know of a few mentioned in this thread that have the opertunity to go on to much bigger and better things in the very near future.

thats great! i hope so. it would be great to see bands form up here break are the bands in question actually any good at playing/have a great sound/contacts/actual drive and determination/have the songs...et al...to achieve it?

Problem is Maxi, you only measure achievement by your own marks i.e touring, being a band you like etc.

It's not really your place to say which bands are achieveing what, i think thats down to the band and the individuals in the bands themselves. Many people are happy and feel they have achieved what they set out to by doing a UK tour, others want big label stardom.

:( played the festival circuit this year with many of the bands that influence them, have released a split 7" with some scottish electronic punk legends and have an EP on the way and have remixed a major UK band. That might exceed most Aberdeen bands expectations of what 'achievement' means and stands for.

The above don't fit into my goals and i'm sure they don't fit into yours either but i'm sure you wouldn't knock half of it if it was placed on your doorstep.

The Little Kicks have had a 'proper' music video done by an industry recognised director, yet again a massive achievement.

MMW toured the UK with Aconite Thrill (a reasonally well respected UK band) and whatever the reasons for them getting on it, they still did it and came back a better/more experienced band for it.

There are Aberdeen bands succeeding outside Aberdeen, Project: Ven Hell (sp), Right Hand Left, Edgar Prais, Copy HaHo, We Shall Be Blessed, Stanley and i'm sure they all feel like they are achieveing something.

There are far too many naysayers (yourself included Maxi) on the Aberdeen scene and not enough people interested in building a foundation for others.

I'm sure you'll come back with a 'witty' retort like: :laughing: or guffaw. But to be honest thats all your capable of really so i expect nothing less

• Upvote 1

Problem is Maxi, you only measure achievement by your own marks i.e touring, being a band you like etc.

It's not really your place to say which bands are achieveing what, i think thats down to the band and the individuals in the bands themselves. Many people are happy and feel they have achieved what they set out to by doing a UK tour, others want big label stardom.

:( played the festival circuit this year with many of the bands that influence them, have released a split 7" with some scottish electronic punk legends and have an EP on the way and have remixed a major UK band. That might exceed most Aberdeen bands expectations of what 'achievement' means and stands for.

The above don't fit into my goals and i'm sure they don't fit into yours either but i'm sure you wouldn't knock half of it if it was placed on your doorstep.

The Little Kicks have had a 'proper' music video done by an industry recognised director, yet again a massive achievement.

MMW toured the UK with Aconite Thrill (a reasonally well respected UK band) and whatever the reasons for them getting on it, they still did it and came back a better/more experienced band for it.

There are Aberdeen bands succeeding outside Aberdeen, Project: Ven Hell (sp), Right Hand Left, Edgar Prais, Copy HaHo, We Shall Be Blessed, Stanley and i'm sure they all feel like they are achieveing something.

There are far too many naysayers (yourself included Maxi) on the Aberdeen scene and not enough people interested in building a foundation for others.

I'm sure you'll come back with a 'witty' retort like: :laughing: or guffaw. But to be honest thats all your capable of really so i expect nothing less

go back and read my two previous posts. im not talking about who has achieved what, i am saying that i think most bands up here are pretty poor.

weapon have it, but the vocals are laughable.

r.e. :( i think their mp3s are superb. but as a live band they suck the big one big time. a HUGE let down

out of those seven you mention i would say none of them are there yet. they all need to hone things a bit better. with addition of pagey and that new gear (their guitar sound let them down a lot) that they have bought i reckon blessed will be a better band than them all (and i really like pvh/rhl/edgar/ha hos musi!c). and by all means blessed are not my favourite band in the world and dont play music that is my thing.

either way though, each to their own. all i said was i didnt think bands were up to standards of other bands that i namechecked.

This thread is another aimless discussion and will end up in the usual slanging match. I mostly agree with Maxi's sentiment but the delivery is not quite up to the standards of 'forum debaters' in the south. Keep rehearsing though...;):p

"Mr Chairperson, this house disagrees with the notion that all bands in Aberdeen are shite"

out of those seven you mention i would say none of them are there yet. they all need to hone things a bit better. with addition of pagey and that new gear (their guitar sound let them down a lot) that they have bought i reckon blessed will be a better band than them all (and i really like pvh/rhl/edgar/ha hos musi!c). and by all means blessed are not my favourite band in the world and dont play music that is my thing.

either way though, each to their own. all i said was i didnt think bands were up to standards of other bands that i namechecked.

Out of interest whats your definition of 'there yet'? I bet it differs from mine and the bands themselves.

And as for your last point, what 'standards' have all those bands actually set, and by whose determination. Its all respective of your own peronal opinion (which you're entitled to as always) and won't necessarily fit with other peoples 'standards'. Until the bands you mentioned are making any waves in my general direction i personally won't be seeing them as anything other than someone elses 'local' band that are playing in another town/city, not exactly setting them apart from anyone else.

This thread is another aimless discussion and will end up in the usual slanging match. I mostly agree with Maxi's sentiment but the delivery is not quite up to the standards of 'forum debaters' in the south. Keep rehearsing though...;):p

I don't think any musical discussion that is designed to educate others or inspire others into 'doing' something is aimless and i hope it doesn't descend into a slagging match.

I'd also be interested to hear why you agree with Maxi's sentiment?

Out of interest whats your definition of 'there yet'? I bet it differs from mine and the bands themselves.

being unshakeably tight as a nun. could do it with eyes shut. strings breaking yet still pulling it off admirably minus dodgy bits etc etc

having a great sound for what they are doing (generally having great gear and knowing how to use it in different types of venue. i.e. pa/non pa/crap pa, big venue/small venue, high roofs etc etc) a great example of this are EYE from dundee, in all the times i have enjoyed them in different venues, i have never been able to fault their sound.

ability, being able to play without bum notes, mutes, dropped beats, off vocals etc etc goes without saying really. macrocosmica were a great example of this

tunes. having the tunes with the character/charisma to win people over/get them into the genre. i.e. punter saying "i hate post rcok/instrumental music, but xxxx were actually fucking excellent at it and i actually enjoyed that"

maybe its being picky having seen a lot of bands/acts in recent years/maybe its being a cynical bastard/maybe im simply bored of the aberdeen music scene/maybe i know absolutely fuck all etc etc

i never really used to look it like that until i started going/seeing to gigs in other cities and im sure there are lots of other things too, but surely this gets the gist of where i am coming from??!?

I said 'mostly and may have overstated slightly. As I said previously I have seen many bands come up here and play with a level of professionalism that should do nothing but inspire our local celebs. I do not for one minute believe that all bands from Aberdeen are shite but would like to see the game raised from time to time. (I would also like to see some bands, actually never see some bands) I'm a biggish fan of the local scene but as with everything there is always much to learn from watching, learning and emulating. 'Nae bad' is nae good enough... practice practice practice... I'm (hopefully) done now and no misquoting me please.

I like a lot of local stuff and dislike some too.

I will also say that I generally don't think about music in a local manner and don't really give two hoots about where a band is from...

:up:

being unshakeably tight as a nun. could do it with eyes shut. strings breaking yet still pulling it off admirably minus dodgy bits etc etc

having a great sound for what they are doing (generally having great gear and knowing how to use it in different types of venue. i.e. pa/non pa/crap pa, big venue/small venue, high roofs etc etc) a great example of this are EYE from dundee, in all the times i have enjoyed them in different venues, i have never been able to fault their sound.

ability, being able to play without bum notes, mutes, dropped beats, off vocals etc etc goes without saying really. macrocosmica were a great example of this

tunes. having the tunes with the character/charisma to win people over/get them into the genre. i.e. punter saying "i hate post rcok/instrumental music, but xxxx were actually fucking excellent at it and i actually enjoyed that"

I didn't hear any bum notes in this post.

Now this post I agree with fully!:)